22 LR AMMO AVAIL

What's going on with the 22 ammo? I really don't understand why there is still a shortage of it. I mean ,yeah you can get it if you want to pay .10 or more a round .

That's the problem, people are willing to pay .10 or more a round. As long as they do, other people will buy up as much  .22LR  as they can and sell it to them and double their money. What doesn't get resold gets hoarded. Nothing new here, it's been going on for over 2 years all over the country. Plus you had people caught flat footed when this all started and they went from 1 brick of .22's in their safe too 20 or more bricks, so they won't be caught short again. Just my :2cents:

• Like 2

There is no reasonable explanation for current .22 prices other than pure, unadulterated greed based on ignorance.

This all started right after Sandy Hook in December of 2012.  Why, I have no idea because there is no reasonable explanation.

The factories are still pumping it out at the same price they were two years ago....assuming a slight increase there as they jack prices every year.

BTW, there are probably 908 threads on this forum addressing the same question.  ;)

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

There is no reasonable explanation for current .22 prices other than pure, unadulterated greed based on ignorance.

This all started right after Sandy Hook in December of 2012.  Why, I have no idea because there is no reasonable explanation.

The factories are still pumping it out at the same price they were two years ago....assuming a slight increase there as they jack prices every year.

BTW, there are probably 908 threads on this forum addressing the same question.  ;)

Agree!

And no matter how much you try to beat this horse to death, it just keeps coming back. :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I didn't mean to bring a dead horse back to life ! Just want to let guys know that Dicks had stock and REASONABLE PRICE on brick 22 HP's at $29 not $ 49 like some dealers are asking for LRN 325 rd pks.

Sorry for the upset stomach's guys. Carry on !

What's going on with the 22 ammo? I really don't understand why there is still a shortage of it. I mean ,yeah you can get it if you want to pay .10 or more a round .

It is simple supply hasn't out paced demand.  Once supply is finally able to overcome the current demand then the prices will start to drop we say that with 5.56/.223, .45, and other Calibers that were hard to find.  Then production was finally able to fill the void and now I can find 5.56/.223 on the shelves of Walmart on a regular bases.  At some point the supply will finally meet demand and we will start seeing it on the shelves regularly.

Thanks

Robert

I have a theory - no hard evidence to back it up, only my own observations.  I believe that the anti-gunner blowhards and all their hype after Sandy Hook, much like when Obama was first elected (when the last, big ammo 'shortage' hit - except then it was mostly .380 that was hard to find over the long term), started people thinking that draconian gun laws were on the way.  People who never owned guns, before, decided they might ought to go ahead and buy one or two.  When asking for recommendations for a first gun, a good .22 - either alone or as a practice platform along with a heavier caliber - was likely a common answer.  So, now there was the kind of run on ammo that normally occurs in such uncertain times with the further complication that there were a lot of new gun owners competing for the same, old supply of ammo.  Thing is, these new owners came into things at a time when ammo scarcity was the 'norm'.  Even worse, the only .22 ammo they could find was $8.00 for a box of 50 standard, run of the mill stuff or $60 or more for the bulk pack stuff.  These folks may not even realize that the 'normal' price was about a third of that in both cases or that under 'normal' conditions one could go to Walmart and buy .22 all day long with no problem.  Then there is the BS that the profiteers like to sling to keep people's fears stirred up (like a couple of years ago - even before the current .22 shortage fiasco, before Sandy Hook - I heard an ammo dealer at a gun show telling a potential mark about how starting later that year all .22 ammo manufactured would be set to expire and become unshootable within a certain, small window of time - so, of course, the mark would be well advised to buy the dealer's non-expiring ammo.)  I've actually heard 'rumors' at gunshows that went along the lines of, "They are going to quit making .22 ammo."  Throw all of this together and it is difficult to blame people who are new to the gun/ammo world for paying scalper prices and buying it whenever they see it - such as from scalpers at gun shows.

Even when things settle down, I suspect that $4 or $5 per box of 50 and $25 to $30 for a bulk pack (depending on the ammo brand, type, seller, etc.) is probably a lot closer to the new 'normal' than what we remember as normal pricing for .22LR ammo.  As someone who remembers when you could pick up a box of 50 for less than 3 bucks or a bulk pack for about $15, I have resisted this notion for the last, couple of years.  Now, however, I have come to accept that if I want .22 ammo then I will pay those prices.  Of course, keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago - maybe ten years or so - that 9mm range ammo was around $7 to $9 a box (Federal 9mm was right at $10 a box at Wally World as recently as three or four years ago.)  It also wasn't that long ago that 7.62X39 ammo was $3.99 a box in most places.  Both examples are almost double that price, now.  I think .22 prices stayed more or less stable while everything else went up but now we will see similar increases in the price of .22, as well.  I will not, however, pay upwards of $7 or $8 for a box of 50 regular, old .22LR ammo nor will I buy it from scalpers and profiteers at gunshows.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

The factories are still pumping it out at the same price they were two years ago....

I still don't see the proof that they are producing at capacity. It seems like there would be larger shipments and more available online if that were the case. You also don't see it at the gun shops where they can more closely control rationing without the people camping out.

I just think that if they were producing that much it would be flooding the market enough 2 years later to have discouraged the resellers.

still hard to find any here.  sometimes sportsman's and academy sports has it.  but they have a low box rate.  stopped at one of my local wal marts and asked the manager for some.  the manager stated they got some yesterday.  it is all ways yesterday at wal mart.  the manager stated the same guys were lined up before 7am to buy it.   they get the heads up from the wal mart app.   the manager stated some get to the store at 5 am to wait at the gun counter for the ammo to be put out at 7 am.  one day it will level out and the stores will be full.  I hope the same old guys lose their butts and will have to eat all the 22 lr ammo they got for resale when the supply and prices come back to normal.

• Like 4

still hard to find any here.  sometimes sportsman's and academy sports has it.  but they have a low box rate.  stopped at one of my local wal marts and asked the manager for some.  the manager stated they got some yesterday.  it is all ways yesterday at wal mart.  the manager stated the same guys were lined up before 7am to buy it.   they get the heads up from the wal mart app.   the manager stated some get to the store at 5 am to wait at the gun counter for the ammo to be put out at 7 am.  one day it will level out and the stores will be full.  I hope the same old guys lose their butts and will have to eat all the 22 lr ammo they got for resale when the supply and prices come back to normal.

I haven't bought a box of 22 in a Walmart since...well I actually can't remember when. About all my ammo purchases have been online for the last 5/6 years.

Only once do I feel I paid too much. And don't ask, I won't tell you on what. lol

Before the shortage my daughter and I would go to the range about once a month and shoot through a ~500 brick. After the shortage started we cut that down to about every three months. I had plenty of ammo in reserve. I have used some of that for trading over the last two years to help folks go shooting. Always at reasonable rates, even giving some of it away.

Throughout this whole panic I have managed to buy several hundred rounds through Walmart. Mostly CCI Mini-Mags. Some standard velocity, and even some subsonics. Cabelas however has been the most reliable, I have been able to purchase several thousand rounds through them, at reasonable (not pre panic though) prices. I suppose the difference is that I normally stop by sniffing for it around 8-9am. Since the Academy opened up here, they have always had it in stock, though only in 50/100 quantities.

I hope this isn't the new normal, as I miss going to the range and shooting a brick with my daughter often, but as it sits, I haven't been without rimfire (or any other caliber I need) through this whole thing due to prior stockpiling and rationing. It was just the way I was raised. You don't fall below a minimum number on any caliber. And that number on rimfire is twice what it is on any centerfire caliber.

Wow, I haven't been able to get any there in several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I happend to be walking by (not expecting anything to be out) and the guy was stocking the shelves. I asked if he had any 22lr and he replied that he did but had not got to it yet. I ended up buying 3 boxes of 100.

I haven't bought a box of 22 in a Walmart since...well I actually can't remember when....

I can't remember the last time I went in a Walmart. After seeing empty ammo shelves too many times, I decided if they couldn't keep ammo on the shelf, anything else I needed could found somewhere else as well.
  • Like 1

I can't remember the last time I went in a Walmart. After seeing empty ammo shelves too many times, I decided if they couldn't keep ammo on the shelf, anything else I needed could found somewhere else as well.

Out of habit, if I go into a WW, I'll always check the shelves. Usually a waste of time. But I did buy some Federal 9mm a few weeks back that was reasonable.

And speaking of long guns, lol, has the time of them gone by for Walmart? Been in 2 in the Nashville are that have none out.
I have picked up 3-4,000 rounds since Febuary for 7 cents per round or less depending on what is was and if I had wanted to I could have bought at least 6,000 rounds per week at that price for months with no problem. I only bought what I bought because I knew people or knew of folks with kids that needed it. I have a fair bit of subsonic which is all I'm really interested in and don't see the need to buy it all up every time I see it. Outpost Armory has had reasonable (less than 10 cents) .22 ammo in stock most all the time since Thanksgiving and hasn't had crazy limits on it (typically 1,000 round limit). When I stopped in a few days ago they had plenty of standard cci and another affordable flavor. Cci prices seem to be higher than the Fed American Eagle, Federal Auto Match various Remington, etc.. that they have had in but it is something besides high end Eley and other $13 per 50 flavors.
I just watched the American Rifleman guy interview a Federal rep and he was adiment that they were not only producing as much .22 ammo as ever but that they are producing much more by way of somewhat expanded lines and around the clock production. This also goes for cci (owned by federal) and I tend to believe it. I'd love to know how many new .22 firearms have been sold in the last two years. I'd say that combined with people wanting to build their own stash up and a renewed interest in shooting accounts for the still meager availability.
  • Like 2

I just watched the American Rifleman guy interview a Federal rep and he was adiment that they were not only producing as much .22 ammo as ever but that they are producing much more by way of somewhat expanded lines and around the clock production. This also goes for cci (owned by federal) and I tend to believe it. I'd love to know how many new .22 firearms have been sold in the last two years. I'd say that combined with people wanting to build their own stash up and a renewed interest in shooting accounts for the still meager availability.

Don't forget to add in all the scalpers with ads on the internet. There are 10 pages of .22 cal. ammo for sale on just Gun Broker. When I say "scalpers" I don't just mean the Walmart group. If you check out these ads, many are from gun shops that would rather sell out the back door at scalper prices then put it on their shelves and compete with Walmart. Just my :2cents:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 2
I've said this multiple times before, but until the manufacturers get their heads out of their ass and realize that there has been a permanent change in the demand structure for .22 ammo and invest in new manufacturing capacity, we will continue to see this shortage in .22 ammo. Most of the .22 ammo I've bought the last few years has been online...like when I get lucky and catch a deal with free shipping or wait over a year for a case on back order. I've not been successful in ever finding any at reasonable prices in the Memphis area when I've looked for it, and I've yet to find any at Walmart when I ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN

The way all sales are regulated...is suppy and demand.  Some of you older folks might remember a time when someone whispered there would be a toilet paper shortage.  People where going down the ailes with shopping carts filled......I call it a bad case of insecurity.  We did at one time have bad gas shortage that was not true.  They had ships by the hundreds off shore loaded with gas......go figure.

Edited by Ron_TN