IDPA's new(er) Divisions (?) CCP & NFC

Sometimes I think IDPA is intentionally trying to confuse me...and that doesn't take a great deal as it is. :cool:

OK...as I understand it there is now a CCP or Compact Carry Pistol  Division. Then I read a discussion on Brian Enos about NFC or Not For Competition Division...

I carry a Glock 19 and the grips are stippled...aftermarket sights, but bone stock other than that. The few matches I've been to, I shoot ESP.

Now I know that IDPA wouldn't even consider something as realistic as AIWB carry...since that won't be an option, how do these other Division changes impact our area matches folks?

fwiw ORSA is the only place I've shoot IDPA in TN. I'm hoping to shoot a classifier in a couple of weeks and shoot the Secret City sanctioned match in June.

Thoughts and Insight appreciated. TIA.

Simple. Your G19 is legal for CCP (just ESP rules with a barrel length rule and thickness rule)  and my G34 with RMR is NFC. 

Oh and CCP is 8 rounds division capacity.

And as far as I know ORSA isn't running a NFC division. The time I shot my RMR gun I just DQ'd myself on the nook after I shot my last stage and got my times wrote down.

Edited by Spiffy

Simple. Your G19 is legal for CCP (just ESP rules with a barrel length rule and thickness rule)  and my G34 with RMR is NFC. 

Oh and CCP is 8 rounds division capacity.

And as far as I know ORSA isn't running a NFC division. The time I shot my RMR gun I just DQ'd myself on the nook after I shot my last stage and got my times wrote down.

Thanks Craig.

OK..then as I understand it, my G 26 would be optimal for CCP...probably best keep my 19 in ESP. That helps.

You are, by far, the best "Range Lawyer" I know and I have your card to prove it! :up:

No know, RMR's are becoming more ubiquitous on carry guns in this country. It would only be logical to allow a Division where they could compete. I know some will argue cost...but facing reality, folks spend a fortune on their competition guns as it is...and regular EDC folks, like myself, can find some niche or other to fit into. It'd be a shame to ostracize people that carry RMR sighted handguns.

Are handguns with mounted flashlights verboten as well guys? 

As I read through the Tiger Team reports and Rule book, I keep seeing mention of keeping IDPA "street realistic" (my term, not theirs)...but it's not looking that way to me...

Prag, actually your G19 would be the ideal CCP gun. Might as well shoot the biggest gun that is legal in the division. 

When the IDPA" powers that be" decided to add CCP their logic was the same thing I have said repeatedly.....the G19 is probably the most carried Glock yet you almost NEVER see one being used at a big match. At the IDPA Nationals the G19 was the #1 carry gun that people filled out on the "what do you really carry " survey....yet there was only ONE competitor actually shooting a G19. WHY? Because if you can shoot a G34 in SSP why would you shoot a G19? And if you can shoot a G34 (or a full size 9mm 1911) in ESP why would you shoot a G19? 

So when they wrote the CCP "specs" they pretty much measured a G19 and said THAT is the max size for this division. And limiting it to 8 rounds makes it single stack friendly. That is why some people are referring to it as the G19 division. And since ESP mods are legal for CCP then your stippled grip is legal for CCP. If I were you I'd shoot CCP with your G19. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 2

So when they wrote the CCP "specs" they pretty much measured a G19 and said THAT is the max size for this division.....

Thus making sure that those of us who carry one of the original CCP firearms, 1911 Commander - 4.25 barrel, can't play in that division!  :rant:  

• Like 1

Thus making sure that those of us who carry one of the original CCP firearms, 1911 Commander - 4.25 barrel, can't play in that division!  :rant:  

Wilson Commanders are 4.0   :ugh:

I think it also had to do with a lot of full size polymer guns have 4.25" barrels, M&P Full size, 9mm HK USP just to name 2 guns.

• Like 1

That was something Craig decided. Byrl actually called me wanting to know what happened. He said he wished that Craig would have talked to him about it before he made the decision to do that

Shoot the gun or DQ myself?

Thanks for the explanation and insight Randy. Logical, makes sense.

Heck...I think I still have some Clinton-era 10 round mags around somewhere LOL.

I guess, on one level at least, that IDPA is 'leaning" towards the self defense minded concealed carrier.

Thanks all for your input and opinions.

Wilson Commanders are 4.0   :ugh:

I think it also had to do with a lot of full size polymer guns have 4.25" barrels, M&P Full size, 9mm HK USP just to name 2 guns.

You mean the Wilson Combat Professional that has the 4.0 barrel and therefore not a "true" Commander since If it isn't a Colt, Its just a copy.  :rofl:    

But then....., I reckon Joyce Wilson wouldn't want to hurt any of Bill's sales.  :squint:

But you're right, with the M&P full size having a 4.25 incher, CCP would have just become a reduced round count SSP of the normal Glock vs S&W fight.

• Like 1