Single Malt Scotch

I just watched a short program about Ireland's single malt scotch and it aroused my curiosity. I've never had a drink of scotch. If you've had the opportunity to to enjoy a good single malt scotch, and enjoyed it, please tell me about the brand and your experiences.

Thanks!
JW is not a bad place to start, but please go for the black label and stay away from the red. JW even admits that it is a mixer. Glenlivet 12 yr and Balvinie 12 yr Doublewood are also good starters. The flavor profiles of scotch vary immensely with different distillers and each region has its own characteristics. I would recommend trying a lot of different types to find out what style you like. There are also tons of resources and reviews online.
  • Like 1
Good single malt comes from overseas, is very expensive, and is NOT Johnny Walker. Glevlivet is a decent place to start. When you're ready to step up, give Aberlour a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Another vote for Glenlivet. All you need is some ice.

I like a bunch of the blended brands to, like Chivas, Pinch, and Johnny Walker. I just like Glenlivet better. There is a huge range of single malts out there. They can all get pricey.

glenlivet12.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I just watched a short program about Ireland's single malt scotch and it aroused my curiosity. I've never had a drink of scotch. If you've had the opportunity to to enjoy a good single malt scotch, and enjoyed it, please tell me about the brand and your experiences.

Thanks!

BTW... As far as I know, a man can get his ass whipped for calling anything made outside of Scotland "scotch whiskey". :)

• Like 3
  • Moderators
Forgot to mention, if you don't have some already, get some whiskey stones. They allow you to chill your drink without it becoming watered down due to melting ice. A small amount of water is needed to open up the flavor bouquet, but too much dilutes.
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention, if you don't have some already, get some whiskey stones. They allow you to chill your drink without it becoming watered down due to melting ice. A small amount of water is needed to open up the flavor bouquet, but too much dilutes.

I thought you were Irish. My ice doesn't have time to melt too much :)

• Like 1

I found the stone impart too much flavor into the drink. If you want to chill it a bit without dilution, consider large ice ball molds. The massive pieces of ice melt slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been heavily into single malt scotch for well over 20 years now-- There was a time years ago when I even got special proprietor import bottlings through Fed Ex from an out-of-state collector's club (yes, I know that was considered a no-no under TN law ). I can say with some chagrin that I over the years I have probably passed more $$$ through my kidneys in the form of single malt scotch than I have spent on ammunition. :stunned:

Fine single malt should be served "neat" (straight with a splash) at reasonable room temperature, or at cellar temperature (no colder than 55 degrees)--with a splash or two of distilled water (or water from the distiller's source, which is pretty much impossible to get here in the USA). The water simply serves as a vehicle to liberate the nose of the scotch and give it "legs" in the glass-- not to cool it. If you nose (deep sniff) a glass of scotch before AND after adding a splash, you'll understand what I'm talking about. The small amount of water tames the alcohol in the aroma, and allows the aromas and flavors to come out ahead of the alcohol. Keep in mind that the goal is NOT to dilute the scotch, but merely "wake up" the flavors. However, a special case must be made for "cask strength" bottlings, as they have not been pre-cut (diluted) by the bottler... In this case, you may add slightly more water to taste, as it the additional water will be necessary to overcome the aggressive nose of the higher alcohol content-- a "cask strength" bottling will usually say so on the label, but if not, anything above 90 proof is generally considered "cask strength" in the scotch world. Also, if you're drinking single malt at a glass temperature above 55 degrees, you're missing the whole point of single malt-- the chill from ice substantially reduces the ability of your palate and your nose to detect and appreciate all of the flavor and aromatic subtleties in a good single malt.

I'm not saying this to put anyone down, but If you can't handle your scotch without ice or soda, don't waste money on Single Malts-- just buy a decent blended Scotch, (and don't pick it from the bottom shelf at the liquor store-- that's the cheap stuff). Drinking single malt over ice is like drinking port or cognac over ice... you just wasted your money-- but hey, it's your money.

LINKS2K-- the single malt scotch world is as diverse (if not moreso) as the world of wine. You can chart your own course unguided, but that can be rather expensive, especially if you start with scotch from the "wrong" region. What I mean is that scotch from the lowland distilleries  and the Speyside distilleries is very, very different as opposed to scotch from the Islay and Campbeltown distilleries. If you are a true neophyte when it comes to scotch, and you don't have an experienced person to help guide you, I would highly recommend buying a copy of The Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch by the late Michael Jackson (not THAT Michael Jackson!). The last edition was published in 2010, so it is still pretty up-to-date.

As a general rule, most beginners do not start with Islay or Campbeltown malts, as they can be rather brutal to the inexperienced palate. Lowland and Highland (Speyside) malts tend to be lighter in body and flavor than their western maritime (West Scotland) cousins, and are a very good place to begin your journey. The lowland scotches are a little less well-known in the US, but there are some good brands out there-- Auchentoshan and Glenkinchie being two of the more readily available.

As far as highland and Speyside (a specific highland scotch-producing region) whiskies go, There have already been a couple mentioned here-- Glenlivet and the Macallan, both of which are very fine representatives of the highland whisky style. Aberlour has also been mentioned, and it also happens to be one of my personal favorites for the money, and also happens to be the biggest selling single malt in France.

I'm not even going to get into recommending Islay or Campbeltown malts yet, because unless you are a true daredevil, it may put you off of scotch completely... ride the highland malt "tricycle" for a while before moving up to the Islay malt "Harley Davidson"... know what I mean?

One more thing-- don't get too hung up on the "age" of the scotch-- it's largely a marketing tool, and many times is a rather overrated yardstick, and often yields differences subject to the law of diminishing returns (and a diminishing pocketbook). That's not to say that different age bottlings of the same brand are not different-- they usually are-- however, if you are not experienced enough to detect the differences, then you haven't gained a whole lot, other than to say "I just spent $150 on this bottle of scotch..."

To give you a parallel, It's pretty easy for even the most inexperienced smoker to tell the difference between a $1.00 cigar and a $10.00 cigar--- but telling the difference between an $10.00 cigar and a $25.00 cigar takes a little more experience, a little more money, and sometimes a little more foolhardiness.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2

I've tried Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, The Macallan, and most recently Tamdu.  The Macallan was my favorite, but they sure think a lot of it.  I've only had a couple glasses of it, never bought a bottle.  I'm not enough of a connoisseur to justify the price for anything other than very special occasions.  The others were quite good, best I recall.  I've tried JW black and gave the bottle away after a couple glasses. 

• Like 1