Honestly honest hog gun opinions....

Don't laugh at me...

I've been hog hunting for years. Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, I've hunted & killed hogs pretty well east to West....with a bow.

I'm going on my first gun hunt for them on Memorial day weekend at a friend's place in central Alabama. This isn't really a fun or trophy hunt, this'll be a straight up killing.
Early morning & evening we're going to be shooting over bait at 100-300yds & I've got my scoped .308 sighted, loaded & ready for that part. No worries on that side at all.

What I'm in a quandary over is that during the day my bud's going to be at work & I'll be left to spot & stalk them in their beds in thick pines & briars.
I have 4 options to carry along with my .44 pistol):

A) Rossi lever acton .45lc
B) Marlin 1895 .47-70
C) Marlin 336 .30-30
D) Marlin 336 .44mag

Here's my train of thought.
The Rossi has a 24" octagonal barrel, iron sights, 15 shots & is loaded with 300gn hardcast, pushed as hot as safely possible. It'll drill a 2" group at 100yds & is heavy enough that backup shots are quick, but it's heavy to carry & I've not killed anything so just don't know how well the bullets perform.

The 1895 is scoped with a fixed 4 power. It's short & handy & is about the most accurate 100yd & under gun I own. It pushes a 350gn round & will put 5 of them into one hole. However the recoil is brisk so a follow up isn't likely, however it shouldn't be needed. It is heavy though & only holds 5

The .30-30 is light, has a Williams peep & is Uber accurate. Fast follow ups are simple & accurate, but it's an old 'A' model with the long 24" barrel & only holds 5 rounds. It also prefers the 160gn gummy tips which I would say are maybe not my first ammo choice for hogs.

Lastly the .44 is super light. At 4½ pounds it's a pleasure to carry. It's 'OK' accurate, 4" at 100 is about normal with the primitive irons. It only holds 5 rounds of 44mag, but follow up shots are quick & easy. It's really, really loud & actually hurts to shoot without protection.

I'm not expecting any monster pigs, average is probably the usual 60-130 pounds sows & shoats so no shield busting is expected, but you never know. I'm guessing in the thick stuff my average shot distance to be under 50yds, but again...never say never, right?

I'm leaning heavily towards the Rossi. On paper the ammo should be fine, but I've not seen it work in person, other than on the range.

What would y'all do???
  • Admin Team

I'd probably pick the Rossi due to your comfort with it, but with that sized pig any of them ought to perform fine.  I'm glad for the info on the 336 in .44mag.  That one's been on my short list for a while.

Does the new Savage not make the cut? edit:  Nevermind.  I see it's going with you for longer shots.  We're going to need a full after action report.

My .44 is a long way of standard! As original with the 20" barrel it was an absolute tack driver. But I cut it down to 16". Like a dick.
If you have the chance at one, grab it & hold on to it! Edited by robtattoo
The big thumper was honestly my first knee-jerk thought, but I'm not sure whether the scope will be a help or a hindrance in thick dark woods. I've not seen the ground yet, but I know hogs & where they like to be. I'm definitely more accurate with it, but I ain't quick & if previous encounters are anything to go by, I'd expect to be jumping groups of 4+ small pigs during the day. Chances of a biggun would be slim.
Oh, and to throw another pickle in the pudding.....

Ruger Scout in .223. 10 quickish shots with hardly any recoil & a forward mounted 2 power scope. Not too sure about a little bitty 77gn bullet though. I've never killed anything with a gun that didn't start with at least a '3'
I know I can buy partitions for it, but I'd have to BUY partitions for it.

My vote goes to the 1895 in 45-70.  That is one of my favorite guns.

[url=http://s196.photobucket.com/user/kahrman/media/DSCF0042.jpg.html]DSCF0042.jpg[/URL]

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 3

I'd pick the shortest one for easiest handling in the brush.  Sounds like that's the .45-70... which I'd also recommend just because it's a .45-70.  :)

I presume damage to the meat is of little consequence.  If you want to save the meat and are confident in shot placement, the .223 would probably work fine too. 

Personally I think .223 is a little light for hogs... many on this forum will disagree.

I'm a big fan of .45-70 for pig, it tends to be more forgiving of less than perfect shots.

However, sounds like you may have some fast, up close action and for that it's hard to beat open sights.

Stick with a well structured bullet and you should be fine with any of your choices above.

Chris, I'm more concerned about the meat than anything.
I've done a ton of research in the last 24hrs, & I'm starting to lean very heavily toward the .223.
Federal Fusion MSR ammo is getting spectacular reviews from hog hunters all over the country. 62gn bullets & designed specifically for 16-18" barrels, where most ammo is designed for best performance out of 22-24".
I keep reading the words "lung soup", "jelly", "DRT" & "devastating"

I had a quick 'field' practice last night, shooting at 5 coffee cans spaced from 80yds in to 20ish & shooting near to far, as fast as I could, only the Scout & Rossi scored 5 hits in under 10 seconds
The 45-70 was devastating, but I could only manage 2 hits in 10 seconds
The 44 scored 3 (one would've been a wound)
The .30-30 was good for 3 in 10 seconds, but due to a stiff action, I only managed 4 shots.

I know that it's probably all six of one, half a dozen of another, but it was a fun test & pretty realistic-ish for a sounder of hogs.

Just had this exact conversation with an experienced guide in Texas. Fwiw, his opinion was that .223 is fine for head shots but he prefers heavier caliber for body shots... now, given advances in modern ballistics this may not be as relevant.

Of course, in any discussion of small calibers on dangerous game, I feel that I have to mention that Frederick Courteny Selous regularly took elephant with a .256 Mannlicher... so if you are a good enough shot it isn't an issue. A .45 inch hole may put them on the ground faster but that little .223 inch hole will certainly do the trick, so long as it's in the right place.

One thing I will point out is that unless you are shooting suppressed or in wide open country, the chance for follow up shots on multiple animals is pretty slim. Ten seconds after your first shot the only thing you'll see is dust and hopefully a slowly settling red mist.

In the end, pick the rifle you are most confident with... well placed shots will win the day every time.

Saw a video where a dude dropped one with an AR, it didn't die till after 4 more close up shots the head.

I stick to at least .30 cal for big game. I would add an m1 for an outstanding .30 cal repeater!

I recommend the 30/30
I'd probably go .223. Before I read the Internet and found out I was an idiot for trying it at all, I killed lots of hogs over bait with a .22mag. Any of those guns are fine. Try for neck shots and if your shot is true, they are DRT. I've used a .44 mag rifle to kill lots of them too. However, I had a 4 power scope on it. The 30-30 is great too.

If you plan to punch one on the run, the 45-70 would be best. However, all will work for neck shots.

I'd cook up some sour mash and put it out and hunt the bait all day. Or hunt a water hole mid day. Hogs drink in the heat. It's always been productive for us to hunt water when it's hot.
  • Like 1

The Rossi in .45 Colt gets my vote.  45/70 is a bit overkill in the brush.  If youre scooting out to 100 or better, then yeah, use it but inside 50-75 yards, the 45 Colt will get it done.  

Wish you lived closer.  You could come by and we'd cast you up some 340g bullets from a custom mold I had cut.  Guaranteed to punch a hole in a pig and make him spew like a hot can of beer!  The large meplat makes very large blood spigots.  

imagejpg1_zps9aa6bfb2.jpg

• Like 4

This would be a much simpler issue if I hadn't sold my .35

Lol!

You are more than welcome to borrow it for the trip.  I am not using it right now and it is a gun you are comfortable shooting.  Just say the word and its yours for the trip.

• Like 1
I've never hunted hogs but I have read a few articles on it and what I have read is that hogs react to the hydrostatic shock from high velocity more than a moderate velocity big bore. One particular instance I remember reading about, 2 guys, one with a 12ga with slugs and one with an AR in 5.56. The AR dropped them faster than the 12.
Oh, I'm fully aware that any & every gun listed will be up to the job.
It's just picking the right tool, so to speak.
I'm beginning to think that there's no real wrong answer here!

My shooting test kinda ruled out the .30-30 due to the stiff action (honestly, built in 1953 & I'd be amazed if it's seen 100 rounds!) & the .45-70 due to recoil & my inability to get back on target quickly.

I'm now definitely 50/50 between the Rossi & the Ruger.
I may have to take both. One for Saturday, one for Sunday & in case I'm not happy with the performance of Saturday's gun!

The Rossi in .45 Colt gets my vote. 45/70 is a bit overkill in the brush. If youre scooting out to 100 or better, then yeah, use it but inside 50-75 yards, the 45 Colt will get it done.

Wish you lived closer. You could come by and we'd cast you up some 340g bullets from a custom mold I had cut. Guaranteed to punch a hole in a pig and make him spew like a hot can of beer! The large meplat makes very large blood spigots.

imagejpg1_zps9aa6bfb2.jpg

Oh my! I thought my 300s were big!
Do you have any load data for those rascals, preferably with 2400?