Finally took my wife to shoot the ar, need some guidance

hlb14

We were finally able to get out to Charlie's range in spring hill this morning so my wife could shoot my ar for the first time. She was really looking forward to it. But after 2 mags each she had had enough and walked away when I went to shoot. After we left she said not so much the noise but the concussion bothered her to the point she had to walk away. She has inner ear problems in one ear and it was really bothering her.

I believe the best long term answer is a suppressor, insert devilish grin here, but in the mean time is there a different muzzle device that can help direct the blast forward? Currently I have a BCM mod 0 comp.

Thanks
I'm not sure which one, but I know there are some. A more knowledgeable person than I will be along soon.

However, I would like to <evil grin> with and for you!

Hope in the meantime you get something to make it more enjoyable for her to keep shooting.
  • Like 1
try a flaming pig, I don't have one but the utube videos that I have seen shows that they seem to work well KAK makes one and from what I recall not very expensive and I think you can find them on ebay as well as amazon. Good luck!!
  • Like 1

Build or buy a 9mm carbine. Prices are really low on them right now. I recently seen a "kit" that had everything but the stripped lower for $550. That is what I did for my wife when she didn't like the concussion of a 223.

It is also a lot cheaper to shoot and a lot more reliable.

• Like 3

Build or buy a 9mm carbine. Prices are really low on them right now. I recently seen a "kit" that had everything but the stripped lower for $550. That is what I did for my wife when she didn't like the concussion of a 223.

Took the words right out of my...keyboard?

A 9mm carbine has the added bonus of being cheaper to shoot. And hey, who doesn't need another AR? 

• Like 1

I have all three of the linear comps below, all are designed to help redirect the muzzle blast forward and you can buy all 3 for less than the price of the Noveske flaming pig. None of them are the exact same thing, but I think for what you want they would be perfect options.  All are good cheap choices you can try and they won't break the bank, but of my money the kinetic-tech are by far the best value.

http://www.kineti-tech.com/muzzle-brakes-2/

This is my favorite out of the 3 for a few reasons. Primarily its ability to pull double duty as a comp and blast director. It's pretty light weight so throwing it on a rifle barrel won't be a big deal. The machining and finish are good quality and the price is pretty good for all that you get. I'll be buying a second one of these eventually.

http://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-flash-can

The KAK can is a good option for redirecting sound, but it has a big drawback as well in that it is heavy. I have mine on a 7.5" barrel and it handles great, but I wouldn't put it at the end of a carbine or rifle, too nose heavy. It is very robust however. They make a slimmer version now to cut back on weight, might be worth looking into.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/compensators/levang-linear-compensator-prod5594.aspx

Last but surely not least is the humble Levang. I actually really like this little guy. Relatively light, streamline-ish design and super super simple. I have had best luck with this one throwing it on the end of a 20"rifle to just "smooth" up the shooting experience. It's a good product but the finish is lacking. Ipainted mine t match the barrel so no big deal for me but YMMV,

• Like 2

What type of hearing protection were you using?

3m electronic muffs, I didn't think about it at the time, but I wonder if doubling up ear plugs and muffs would help any Edited by hlb14

Build or buy a 9mm carbine. Prices are really low on them right now. I recently seen a "kit" that had everything but the stripped lower for $550. That is what I did for my wife when she didn't like the concussion of a 223.

This is definitely an option down the road. First will either be another 16" or maybe 18" ar. We both want to take an appleseed course together in the near future.

Do you reload? If so a .300 is a great option I'm surprised hasn't been brought up. If you you reload and you should be able to make some subsonic rounds that will be easy on the ears even without a suppressor. 

• Like 1

3m electronic muffs, I didn't think about it at the time, but I wonder if doubling up ear plugs and muffs would help any

It should help tremendously. Electronic muffs are awesome, but most don't really have the dB reduction "horsepower" for rifle shooting. Plugs + electronic ears give you the best of both worlds.
  • Like 3

Do you reload? If so a .300 is a great option I'm surprised hasn't been brought up. If you you reload and you should be able to make some subsonic rounds that will be easy on the ears even without a suppressor.

No sir, not yet. Just moved from a townhouse to a house with a garage though and reloading is definitely coming. Very interesting option I haven't considered.

What type of hearing protection were you using?

Last time I was out I used just rubber plugs, gave all the muffs I had to the kids and the sound wasn't bad at all. We were at an outdoor range, indoors hasn't been tried with just plugs.
  • Like 1

It should help tremendously. Electronic muffs are awesome, but most don't really have the dB reduction "horsepower" for rifle shooting. Plugs + electronic ears give you the best of both worlds.

I agree. I think that would help a lot with the 16" barrel. I've never used electronic ears so I don't know how effective they are.
  • Like 1