Cabela's Opening Fort Oglethorpe, Ga

Anyone going to the PRE GRAND OPENING May 12, 2015? This is for Cabela's Club members. 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. If your a Club member you should have gotten a invitation in the mail. :wave:

Edited by crossfire

I went there today, nice store, prices are lower then Gander. They have 22lr Fed. Automatch 325per at $18.99 limit of 1 box per. and CCI, Rem and a couple others. They have a system set up so you can buy hand guns there in Ga. and have them sent to a couple locations in the Chattanooga area for a flat transfer fee of $25.00. + $10.00 background check. Worth a look if your close or going to Cosco.

I went to today; it is truly a magical place.  Possibly more ammo than I have seen at any of the other big box outdoor store; definitely more brands than I have ever seen before.  They seemed to have a lot of reloading supplies.  Less guns than the Gander Mountain stores to which I have been.  I was disappointed that they didn't have full-size 1911 9mm magazines, but so far I have only found those online.  I was surprised that they didn't have more holsters.  Some of the clothing looked nice, but it will look nicer when it is on sale.

My wife found some fit-over shooting glasses that she liked; anything that will get her to come shooting more is a bonus.  I bought a variety of ammo.

My county will appreciate the sales tax revenue, so everyone come visit.  

• Like 2

I hit the "grand opening" last night and had mixed feelings.   There seemed to be a LOT of things that were simply overpriced and I did not find a single "deal" anywhere.   They had $5 a box (of 50) .22 LR (thats $50 for 500... no deal).   They had a nice selection of guns but unless there was a price spike last month they all seemed to be, with one or two exceptions,  10-20% higher than normal.   Primers and powder (very limited brand selection) were reasonably priced but their box of lead cast projectiles was near DOUBLE the going rate of places like Missouri/etc.    On the bright side, all the employees were friendly and had a good handle on where items were and what they had.  There were a lot of obstructions in the place that might be OK under normal conditions but were creating traffic jams and frustrations with the opening scene crowd. 

All in all its farther away with mostly higher prices (but lower sales taxes) for me, and I likely won't be going back there a lot.   Glad to see them come in for the GA folks and to increase the overall supply of gun stuff in the area, but its not worth a trip from chattanooga with a half dozen similar places closer to me. 

If you need reloading supplies, they had more stock than most at least for their opening week.  That alone might make it worth something to folks here... good luck..

The one thing they had a LOT of was 9mm at $15 or 14 a box.   There were a couple of other similar ammo deals going on.  Nothing I needed unfortunately.  They must have sold out of the doorbuster 22s quickly,  I did not see any.

Edited by Jonnin

Anyone get a good look at powder?  I'm close to being in a hole for H322 & I can always use Trail Boss.  It's a long haul for me to come from Lakesite.  I shoot Cowboy every third Saturday at Mystery Dog Ranch off of Exit 1 so that would be close for a trip there except for all the guns in the truck.

Cherokee Slim

Anyone get a good look at powder?  I'm close to being in a hole for H322 & I can always use Trail Boss.  It's a long haul for me to come from Lakesite.  I shoot Cowboy every third Saturday at Mystery Dog Ranch off of Exit 1 so that would be close for a trip there except for all the guns in the truck.

Cherokee Slim

It was almost all 1 pound bottles at about 25 bucks each.  All I can remember is bullseye and reloader XYZ bottles.  They might have had trail boss, but my memory is not good enough to say 100% for sure, sorry.  And remembering a random number is right out, no clue on the H22 -- they had something with letters and numbers on it ... :P

went today and got a box of 22lr for $18.99, the 325 round box.  they had several.  but that was at 1pm.  everything else on same price as sportsman's warehouse.  but guns are a little higher.  got to see and get my picture taken with mountain man.  all in all not a bad place to go and look around.  

All big box stores have high prices on their guns and ammo. I have never bought a gun from any of them. There overhead is just to high, but it's a good place to go if something new just came out and you want to see what it looks like, first hand, or you catch one of their come-on sales.

Good place to go and kill some time if you go to Cosco. We will see what happens to their prices when Bass Pro moves in across the interstate from them. It's nice to see the big outdoor stores getting closer to Chattanooga, sure beats driving up to Nashville or Knoxville.