PSA 9mm AR

broox

So, the other Palmetto State Armory thread took me to their site, and all of a sudden I really want one of their 9mm ar kits. Does anyone have one of these with the mag block? Experiences? I am tempted to get the upper, mag block, and a mag and use a lower off another rifle. Surely someone on TGO has one of these, so I don't have to be the guinea pig.

I have not used a palmetto 9mm specifically, but the mag block style run fine so long as the block is good quality.  I believe theirs are aluminum, so they should be gtg.  I have only ever used the kind that insert from the bottom of the magwell.  Theirs is the kind that goes in from the top.  I am not as crazy about those because you have to remove the bolt-hold to install/remove them, but I believe they are of sound design.

• Like 1

My dad just built one with the mag block but he hasn't gotten to shoot it yet.  If no one else pipes in I'll report back when I have something useful.  He usually goes to the range on Fridays so I should have something for you by the end of the week, that is unless it's too hot, too cold, too windy, too cloudy or too sunny, these retired folks can get finicky. 

• Like 1

My dad just built one with the mag block but he hasn't gotten to shoot it yet.  If no one else pipes in I'll report back when I have something useful.  He usually goes to the range on Fridays so I should have something for you by the end of the week, that is unless it's too hot, too cold, too windy, too cloudy or too sunny, these retired folks can get finicky.

LOL I can appreciate that!
  • Like 1

LOL I can appreciate that!

I don't know if I've ever been great at anything but I'm pretty sure that I will excel at retirement.  I'm very determined to do well at it and I'm working as hard as I can now so that I can start kicking butt at being retired as soon as I can.

I don't know if I've ever been great at anything but I'm pretty sure that I will excel at retirement.  I'm very determined to do well at it and I'm working as hard as I can now so that I can start kicking butt at being retired as soon as I can.

Not to bring you down, but seriously; work hard now. Save and invest a lot. It will be too late later.

If you want to continue the lifestyle you are accustomed to now. Don't think that you will have time later to catch up.

Take my word for it, it doesn't always happen that way.

Not to bring you down, but seriously; work hard now. Save and invest a lot. It will be too late later.If you want to continue the lifestyle you are accustomed to now. Don't think that you will have time later to catch up.Take my word for it, it doesn't always happen that way.

Hmmm, that kind of puts my desire for a new gun in perspective...
I purchased a full 9mm kit from PSA a few months ago. Haven't built it yet but everything looks to be very high quality. I got the assembled MOE upper, the MOE lower parts kit, and a few mags. I already have a lower for it, just haven't gotten around to building it yet. But I've built, worked on, and cleaned literally hundreds of AR guns including many PSA and I've never seen a problem so I'm sure it will run well.

Hmmm, that kind of puts my desire for a new gun in perspective...

Well Then...., getting back on topic!!!!!

The strange thing is, AR 9mm cost is higher than most .308 builds.  I have two of them on dedicated lowers, one a CMMG the other a Black Creek Precision. 

The PSA setup got bad reviews at first because the bolt was not ramped and that affects what triggers can be use.  I had read on ARFCOM that the newer PSA bolts are ramped which is a good thing. 

PSA supplies their kit with a carbine buffer which IS NOT a good thing.  9mm ARs are blow-back and need a heavier buffer to keep it running right.  Otherwise you'll get a lot of smoke, flash & bang coming out of the ejection port.  Also the upper that PSA is using is a total slick design that does not allow you to install a deflector for all of that smoke, flash & bang coming back at you due to the light buffer.  The good news is the heavy buffer will take care of that issue without the need for the deflector...., bad news - - - heavy buffers cost in the $50 and up range.  ALSO, it helps if the buffer is designed for a 9mm.  These have a little longer length that a standard carbine buffer in order to not break the extended BHO catch that 9mm AR requires.  Some folks use a H3 buffer for the weight, but their BHO can have some problems.

They can also be a bit weird and quirky about what mags you use.  My CMMG hates metalform mags (the gold standard) and loves the cheaper ASC mags.  The BCP runs either.

Once you do get all of this sorted out comes one last thing - - - you Have to get a mag loader to save your thumb while loading those 32 round mags because you will be having so much fun shooting the thing your mags will run empty real quick!

Enjoy!

• Like 3

For what its worth, it won't help the buffer get heavier reducing smoke, but if you want to play with the standard buffer and save the beating the Bolt Hold takes, the fix costs $1.25, and is completely refundable when you're done.  

You can drop 5 quarters into the buffer tube, then place the spring and (STANDARD) buffer in as normal.  

That pushes the whole assembly forward enough so that you don't get "slap" on the Bolt Hold Open when it engages.

You also use the 5 quarters in a SHTF situation if you need to.  Better yet, use Pre-64 silver quarters as they will have more value in a SHTF scenario.

Just don't forget to remove them if/when you ever move to the 9mm buffer or 5.56 BCG.  They are longer, and so the $1.25 will prevent the Bold Hold from ever engaging since the bolt won't be able to move rearward enough.  No harm would be done if you forgot, just the BHO wouldn't work.  I think it would still cycle.

• Like 3

Just don't forget to remove them if/when you ever move to the 9mm buffer or 5.56 BCG.  They are longer, and so the $1.25 will prevent the Bold Hold from ever engaging since the bolt won't be able to move rearward enough.  No harm would be done if you forgot, just the BHO wouldn't work.  I think it would still cycle.

Wait! So for just $1.25 I can put BHO out of work!? Heck, here's a fiver!

-southernasylum

• Like 5

Dad got to the range with his PSA 9mm this weekend.  As much as he's talking about how much he likes his I might have to build me one now.

Go for it!

I love my Colt 9mm Carbine. But would like to take the plunge and build a new one as a companion to it.

Hahn Precision makes great 9mm magwell adapters but they're a bit more expensive.  I prefer the dedicated version that drops in from the top; you have to remove the bolt catch lever to install it, but that's literally about 60 seconds of work. 

• Like 1

Is the thread really 1/2x36 and not 1/2x28 on the PSA uppers? I would order one, but AAC doesn't offer a piston in that thread for my TiRant45. If I'm going to build a 9mm AR, it will be a suppressor host for sure.

• 9 months later...

I got a 9mm AR build from Smith, a member here. It has the PSA parts and the aluminum mag block. It runs great on the PSA mags so far, and the Colt 32 round mags as well Great little pistol.

Well, I got the urge for one of the new PSA Hybrids that use Glock mags. Let me tell you it is fantastic. I can't say enough good about it.

If you would like to see one in person to check it out, and are in the Gallatin area; go to Sam Hoster. You know Sam, the gunsmith in the AshaBranner Pawn building on S. Water ST.

He has a few to sell. You won't regret it. Most Fridays I can be found there using the range. That's another gem to be found there.

Build was my intention, but having one in front of me was just too much temptation.

I was looking at a side-charger style, ala Circle10, and to use Glock mags. Pricing out all the different parts, I was coming in around 850 on the low end.

Time and parts availability made the decision for me.

With a few upgrades, like free float tube, and Gunfighter charging handle, this rifle works for me. And it came in at the 1000 mark that I was expecting to see.

Next, looking to make it a side-folder. 

So, it works for me. Not for everybody I know, but that's what make this all fun.

• Like 1
broox, on 24 Mar 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

BUMP. I would like to hear more experiences from people with these.

Well....., In the almost year since you started this thread - - - I now have two more ARs in 9mm.  I'm using the PSA bolt in one of them (No Issues).

Dang Things are a Hoot-To-Shoot!  :hyper:

• Like 2

Build was my intention, but having one in front of me was just too much temptation.

I was looking at a side-charger style, ala Circle10, and to use Glock mags. Pricing out all the different parts, I was coming in around 850 on the low end.

Time and parts availability made the decision for me.

With a few upgrades, like free float tube, and Gunfighter charging handle, this rifle works for me. And it came in at the 1000 mark that I was expecting to see.

Next, looking to make it a side-folder. 

So, it works for me. Not for everybody I know, but that's what make this all fun.

I found a great deal and couldn't pass it up, all I added was the glass. CMMG MK9 LE OR and 5 mags. Its a ball to shoot, deadly at 100yds and eats anything I feed it.

DSCN6864_zpsop5sljf5.jpg

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1