This is irritating

My initial description and a follow-up post used inflammatory language. Here is what I would have said with a cooler mind:

A group of violence prone people gather in a public place and have a shootout. Luckily, no bystanders or police were injured or killed.

This is irritating as it gives the gun control lobby something to spin. It also paints motorcycle clubs in a negative light, most of which are good people out to have a good time around common interests such as Harley’s, military vets, religious groups, etc…

This happened at a Twin Peaks, a restaurant similar to Hooters. The manager of that particular Twin Peaks made a very poor judgement call.

While I personally am not a Twin Peaks fan, I have no doubt that the organization as a whole would never want to enable a shootout like this.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/17/us/texas-shooting/index.html Edited by Pete123

This is irritating. Biker gangs hanging out at a biker bar get in a big shootout.

Wouldn't surprise me if the gun control folks already have applied their spin and are getting out to liberal media outlets.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/17/us/texas-shooting/index.html

It's not a gang it's a club. And Twin Peaks is a family kinda restaurant. This will affect those that ride, especially anyone who rides with a club, much more than gun rights. Public and most cops see all patches the same whether it's a 1% patch, MC or riding club. Also keep in mind it will have a major media spin. They will gladly demonize everyone involved who rides a motorcycle. Word on the street is they were having a Confederation of Clubs meeting, when a non-coc member club showed up to start shit. Well they succeed and it quickly went from fist fights to guns pulled. Edited by Spots

From what little I know about these outlaw motorcycle clubs, this was bound to happen.  To me they're on par with the Crips, or any of the Hispanic gangs out in LA.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find out at least a few of them had a carry permit from Texas.

Depends on the family, I guess :) :

200px-Twin_Peaks_uniform.jpg

640px-Waitress_with_a_glass_of_beer.jpg

I really meant just more that it wasn't a dingy, dark biker bar. I've seen kids in there, not much different than Hooters. Definitely not a seedy corner bar.

A few with carry permit, I bet the majority has theirs.  My crystal ball predicts, this will be a media frenzy about conceal carry, alcohol, Texas, and how the wild wild west is back.  There really is no news in the media, and they will whip it up for awhile.  My father who is retired swears there is a pattern in the media, when there is no news, no real big news, the media will feed on the frenzy of any news story. 

• Like 1
My initial description and a follow-up post used inflammatory language. The system won’t let me edit them. Here is what I would have said with a cooler mind:

A group of violence prone people gather in a public place and have a shootout. Luckily, no bystanders or police were injured or killed.

This is irritating as it gives the gun control lobby something to spin. It also paints motorcycle clubs in a negative light, most of which are good people out to have a good time around common interests such as Harley’s, military vets, religious groups, etc…

This happened at a Twin Peaks, a restaurant similar to Hooters. The manager of that particular Twin Peaks made a very poor judgement call.

While I personally am not a Twin Peaks fan, I have no doubt that the organization as a whole would never want to enable a shootout like this. Edited by Pete123

Not all of these guys looked like typical "biker" gangs.  Some look like guys that want to dress up in leather and ride their Harleys.  Some reports say more gangs are en route and more trouble is expected.

As said above, twin peaks isn't a biker bar. The one in Franklin has some very nice scenery.

In the past, I've had to face some mighty large artillery in Franklin and other Twin peaks locations.

It's not a gang it's a club.

They shot at cops. They killed 8 people probably because someone insulted their fragile egos or some similar "transgression." Gang, club, group; doesn't matter how you frame it, they're scumbags. They deserve every second they spend in jail and then some. Edited by LagerHead
  • Like 5

Not all of these guys looked like typical "biker" gangs. Some look like guys that want to dress up in leather and ride their Harleys. Some reports say more gangs are en route and more trouble is expected.

This will event will have reprcussions that echo through the club world for years. And I don't just mean 1% clubs. All clubs and riders interact with each other at some point and interact with the public everyday. This just made sure that the parents taking their kids on vacation fear the Veteran club that just passed them on the interstate and leave a restaurant when the Blue Knights (LEO club) show up. It also means there's a damn war brewing between the clubs involved. Some hot heads decided to start trouble, and they succeeded. Now those clubs will be at each other constantly. That's why you have people coming in. The call has went out, and they are showing up to have their brothers back. They are 1%ers and they will protect their brothers to the death. Also, lots of MC members are lawyers, doctors, construction workers, etc. Most of them aren't running drugs and hookers, they are working 40 hours a week just like everyone else.

They shot at cops. They killed 8 people probably because someone insulted their fragile egos or some similar "transgression." Gang, club, group; doesn't matter how you frame it, they're scumbags. They deserve every second they spend in jail and then some.

Calling them a gang is the same as calling an AR-15 and assault rifle. An outlaw motorcycle gang is a media term conjured up to produce fear of all things biker among the masses.
  • Like 1

Calling them a gang is the same as calling an AR-15 and assault rifle. An outlaw motorcycle gang is a media term conjured up to produce fear of all things biker among the masses.

It's not the same thing. A rifle can't act like anything. It's simply a pile of metal and plastic parts. However, when a group of guys gets together and acts like a gang they shouldn't be surprised or offended when they get called "gangs."

Note that I am not generalizing motorcycle clubs. I ride. I have ridden since I was 7 years old. I have never been an MC member, nor do I desire to become one. But these guys were thugs and punks. It really doesn't matter how they were labeled. They earned whatever names they were called.
  • Like 2

When "brothers" ride in from other states to join the fight, it's a gang.

When a disagreement in a parking lot ends with 9 people dead, it's a gang.

This pretty much sums it up. They had chains....who carries chains?

It reminds me of that fight scene from Anchor Man where the news teams fought with tridents.

This pretty much sums it up. They had chains....who carries chains?

It reminds me of that fight scene from Anchor Man where the news teams fought with tridents.

Lmfao. I had forgot that scene. Oh, and I carry a chain. I lock my bike up when I ride somewhere overnight if I end up staying in a bad neighborhood. Probably a weapon of opportunity type thing if I had to guess
  • Like 2

Lmfao. I had forgot that scene. Oh, and I carry a chain. I lock my bike up when I ride somewhere overnight if I end up staying in a bad neighborhood. Probably a weapon of opportunity type thing if I had to guess

I've know several bikers that carry a chain for when a car gets too close.

All biker groups are not gangs. Some are and some are not. Just because you see a group of bikers out for a ride does not mean they are outlaws. I guess many folks think the Patriot Riders are a gang to because they ride in a group and attend all of the Veteran funerals and fly American flags and wear leathers......................... :shrug: :shrug:

• Like 3

It would be interesting to know how many of them had legal firearms (had whatever paperwork, not a felon). 

When 200 people are arrested and only 9 got shot,  either the incident is grossly misreported or they were the worst shots to ever pick up a handgun.  5 year old kids hit their parents with 100% accuracy, but a 'gang' of hardened thugs (going by the news angle here) in a gigantic brawl with fewer hits than a typical school shooting???    

Or was it 5 or so armed thugs  in a crowd of 200+ mostly decent folks?

We probably wont get any answers to those questions, but 9 people shot was way too few for the size of the 'riot'  if it were truly a pair of 'violent gangs' going at it.  I would have said 30+ victims would be in order at least. 

So looking forward to the Hog Rally this week in Cookeville! Or not...

I'll be stocking up on groceries for the week after work tonight. Also cut my hours back this week so I only have to come into town twice during the whole shebang. Just a heads up if you're coming to the area it's Tuesday - Saturday night.