I'm looking for a fixed blade knife to keep in a bug out bag or a car bag. I guess you could call it a survival type knife but I don't want anything extra just a good solid knife.

I've been looking at the ESEE line of knives specifically the 4 5 and 6 and maybe a even get an izula for EDC.

I feel like I know most of what is out there for folding knives, but I don't know what is out there for fixed blade production knives. Not looking at a full custom yet, likely in the future but not now.

From what I can tell, the ESSE line is solid, but are there some others I should be looking at?

Thanks
I've been keeping one of the Mora light my fire knives in my truck. Not big, but light and simple....and has a pretty good edge. I also keep multi-tool in each vehicle....

Heard good things about the others mentioned though. Think about what it would most likely be used for.
  • Like 1
Thanks willis, I will look at what Protech has for fixed blades, I love my TR4.

I was really expecting more variety. Kind of like asking which polymer striker fired pistol, you would have glock, S&W, XD, Sig P320, HK vp9, and Walther ppq. But it sounds like it's basically ESEE or custom?
The pro tech looks awesome! I can only speak of the esee though. I think it's like the glock of knives! If I could take one thing it'd be my tr-4. Their website has some great survival info too.

The Izulla is worth having too. Edited by Still Ugly
I heard Cold Steel was coming out with the Master Hunter in a fancy steel soon for under 100. There has been a few big threads on other forums about "deal of the century".

I know they in general are not in the same league, but....I have had good luck with some of their fixed blades.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Master-Hunter-Fixed--29665 '> http://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Master-Hunter-Fixed--29665 Edited by tbenedict

I've got an Esee 4 and really like it. I also have a RAT5 and for the price I have no problem taking it over the Esee. That being said, I've always wanted a TOPS Tom Brown Tracker #1 or #4 for the purpose you mentioned.

I've got an Esee 4 and really like it. I also have a RAT5 and for the price I have no problem taking it over the Esee. That being said, I've always wanted a TOPS Tom Brown Tracker #1 or #4 for the purpose you mentioned.

I don't own any ESEE knives, but do own a couple of Ontario fixed blades (bayonets). The Ontarios are kinda rough. I don't guess it matters if you're using them real hard.

• Admin Team

You had to say that about something I don't already own. :)

If it's any solace, you can pick up an a couple ESEEs for less than what you've been spending on some knives lately ;)

I don't own any ESEE knives, but do own a couple of Ontario fixed blades (bayonets). The Ontarios are kinda rough. I don't guess it matters if you're using them real hard.

The Ontario knives are a different quality from the ESEEs.  I've owned a variety of the Ontario made blades in the past, but Jeff and Mike separated from them several years ago over differences in quality and quantity of manufacturing.  There's nothing wrong with the Ontario made RAT series, and for hard use I'm sure they'd be fine.  But, as the makers split from Ontario, all real innovation is happening over at ESEE.

If it's any solace, you can pick up an a couple ESEEs for less than what you've been spending on some knives lately ;)

The Ontario knives are a different quality from the ESEEs.  I've owned a variety of the Ontario made blades in the past, but Jeff and Mike separated from them several years ago over differences in quality and quantity of manufacturing.  There's nothing wrong with the Ontario made RAT series, and for hard use I'm sure they'd be fine.  But, as the makers split from Ontario, all real innovation is happening over at ESEE.

Sort of. The Ontario Rat series is exactly the same as the Esee series. The ONLY difference is in the heat treating, which Esee does use a reportedly better proprietary company for that process. About the only objective test on that subject I've seen are somewhat inconclusive. The Esee fan boys will scream otherwise, but that is where all the noise comes from. 

I will also say that the fit and finish on my RAT is actually better than on my Esee. That being said the warranty and heat treating upgrade you get with the Esee does legitimize the price bump IMO.

• Admin Team

Yeah, I'm sure you could use an Ontario made blade for the rest of your life without any issue.  They're good knives.

My choice of ESEE of Ontario is really because I know Jeff and Mike.  They've always been gracious about their split with Ontario, but the heart of matter is that if the maker decides to split - for whatever reason - I'm probably going to go with the maker.  

I definitely recognize that there is a cost associated with that choice, and plenty of other folks may continue to choose the other product.  

All the ones mentioned so far  are all great knives, until you have to start humping a 30lbs+ Bug Out Bag.  Give it a mile or two and you will be wanting to shed weight out of it, fast.

I will second the Mora line.  Get a Mora Heavy Duty Companion.  Super light and sharp as hell and easy to maintain.  And best of all inexpensive at $19 plus shipping. Makes a great bugout knife. Mora Knives are the hidden gem of the knife world!

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

For a small fixed blade, I do highly recommend the Izula, though.  I EDC one daily.  It rides in my right front pocket easily.  I use it for everything from opening boxes to cutting up my meat at lunch. Very sturdy little knife!

Edited by Moped
  • Authorized Vendor

Anybody know anything about GrayMan knives? just found those and they look good

I never heard of them but I see they make their knives from 1095 carbon steel so I'm liking them already. laugh.gif They look clean, functional and no nonsense. 

I'm looking for a fixed blade knife to keep in a bug out bag or a car bag. I guess you could call it a survival type knife but I don't want anything extra just a good solid knife.

I've been looking at the ESEE line of knives specifically the 4 5 and 6 and maybe a even get an izula for EDC.

I feel like I know most of what is out there for folding knives, but I don't know what is out there for fixed blade production knives. Not looking at a full custom yet, likely in the future but not now.

From what I can tell, the ESSE line is solid, but are there some others I should be looking at?

Thanks

I've accumulated a ridiculous number of fixed blades in price ranges from Ka-Bar to Strider. My ESEE 4 is the "goldilocks" blade - just right. I think of it as the G19 of knives.

Edited by Paisan
  • Like 1