I am finally going to get around to building one of these. When I say building I really mean piecing one together as I find time and money. What exactly do I need in here? I know the first thing that I need is a good bag. I have one already but I need some input on what should go in it.

I am thinking that I need a way to filter water, water containers, food, ways to make fire, changes of clothes, socks, a pair of boots, bedroll, sleeping bag, ammo, and magazines. This is all that is coming to mind right now. Pictures of your bag and what is in it would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1
The absolute essentials are food water shelter and security.

For food, MREs are ok, but I like freeze dried meals like mountain house better.

Water, you need containers and filtration.

Shelter would be a solid change of clothes and something to shield you from the elements. Rain poncho, emergency sleeping bag, etc.

Security. You didn't mention a pistol but I'm assuming you are using your EDC.

I'd also have redundant ways to start fire. A solid fixed blade would be invaluable. Make sure some good boots are part of the equation. Some para it's would be very useful, along with duct tape. A first aid kit would be good as well.

A multi tool is very handy as well. Some spare cash too.

It doesn't really need to be too extensive, it's just to get you home, a 24hr bag at most. Edited by nightrunner
  • Like 1

That's about all.  I made my wife one and put separate kits in waterproof bags inside the main bag.  I labeled them WARM, DRY, FIRE, and WATER.  If you don't get more than a couple days walk from home, I wouldn't worry about food.  Maybe throw in a couple snacks, but I can go a couple days without food.  And I am definitely not stopping to build a fire to heat water to pour in a bag.  If I have food, it's something I can eat on the move.

• Like 1

It doesn't really need to be too extensive, it's just to get you home, a 24hr bag at most.

For me, if I'm at work, it's 34 miles so I'm thinking it's probably at least two days if I had to walk the whole distance. I would be praying I could still get across the Cumberland River on my chosen route. Having to detour to a different bridge would add considerably more time. Edited by Trekbike

My get home bag is pretty simple. It has 5 major modules. Shelter, Food, Water, Fire, Health. I work in an area where keeping a gun on me or in the car is a no go so firepower is non-existant (looking to change that).

I have a decent tarp and paracord (shelter), some protein bars (food), a life straw (water), and wetfire with fireknife (fire), meds and bandages (health). The rest is "comfort" items: toilet paper, bug spray, sunblock, a steel cup to boil and cook in (if necessary). Not a major module but still useful is a topographical map of the region.

Depends on how far it is to get home and what you have to cross to get there. 

I'm fortunate in that I work fairly close to home and don't have to cross any bodies of water, so my bag is fairly minimal.    I've got a first aid kit, bug spray, sunscreen, couple water bottles, knife or two, lighter & tinder, hand sanitizer, granola bars, twine, cash, ... that sort of thing. 

For me, if I'm at work, it's 34 miles so I'm thinking it's probably at least two days if I had to walk the whole distance. I would be praying I could still get across the Cumberland River on my chosen route. Having to detour to a different bridge would add considerably more time.

Depending on how serious you are about your get home bag and your budget to add to it you may consider putting a pack raft in your vehicle. Could be a true life saver if it ever came down to having to use it. Or heck an intertube could be worth its weight in gold for that matter.

Depending on how serious you are about your get home bag and your budget to add to it you may consider putting a pack raft in your vehicle. Could be a true life saver if it ever came down to having to use it. Or heck an intertube could be worth its weight in gold for that matter.

Just a fairly large, thickwalled plastic bag works.  Put your stuff in the bag, blow it up with air, and tie the top.  Use it as a float while crossing the water. 

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

Everything that has been mentioned I've considered. I guess I just forgot to put them on my list. I don't want a bunch of weight so I'm looking to keep it pretty simple.

Look into a life straw for filtering water. It's light, simple and easy to use. And you can never have to many ways/aids to start a fire.

• Authorized Vendor

I think I'll have a good start on a bag now. Now I just have to keep it light. What about an Emberlit or similar stove? And food: MRE vs freeze dried? Is there any reason besides the expiration date that I shouldn't go with MREs?

MRE's have plenty of calories and it's a very easy way to have a  hot meal.  I also have a denatured alcohol stove similar to this. I carry about 6 oz of alcohol in a small plastic squeeze bottle.

IMG_5012.jpg

• Like 3

Learn to make these little stoves.  They are easy to make and the materials are easy to find and cheap.  Any auto parts store, will have HEET and big box home repair stores will have isopropyl  alcohol.  Check in the paint department. I don't figure that is something someone is going to looting at first. Carry a push pin with you.  They make perfect jet holes for these little stove.

One downside to these little stoves, is that they are hard to light on cold days.  The warmer it is, the easier it is for the alcohol to turn to a vapor, which is what is actually burning.  On a cold day most people will fuel them up and then place them in a larger short can filled with a little more alcohol (a large tuna can works great for this). Then they light the alcohol in the can first.  This heats the alcohol in the stove and starts the evaporation process. 

I have several different alcohol stoves and like them well enough but for the rugged minimalist approach my go to is the old tried and true GI 1qt canteen system consisting of canteen, canteen cup, canteen cup stove, half a dozen trioxane fuel bars tucked away in an insulated cover/pouch that also has a pocket with a little bottle of Potable Aqua Iodine tablets. One complete system gives you a means to carry water, two ways to make it safe to drink, a stove that works with the fuel bars, coals from a fire, tea candles, pop can alcohol stoves etc and the fuel bars can be broken up and used as emergency tinder in a pinch. You can wear it on your belt if you want it as a stand alone piece of your kit or attach it to you pack if you desire. 

As far as MRE verses freeze dried Mountain House style meals go it depends.... If you have plenty of water to re hydrate the freeze dried meals, have the time to stop and prepare it and are not worried about food smells drawing in unwanted attention... then the MH meals are lighter in weight and in my opinion taste better. MRE's on the other hand can be eaten cold(limiting down time to prepare food and emit less odors), are typically more calorie dense and require little to no additional water to prepare comparatively. 

For fire I tend to skip matches all together. Compared to all other means of starting fires they are bulky for the very limited number of fires you'll start with them. I bic lighter can start a few hundred fires and a good ferro rod can start several thousand. For my money I go with a couple bic lighters and either a Doan's magnesium/flint bar or Light My Fire brand ferro rod and striker. Go to tinder of choice is Vaseline soaked cotton balls.

In addition to the canteen kit set up I use, I also carry 100oz hydration pack bladder and a Sawyer Mini filter kit. The Sawyer can be used as a straw filter, in-line filter for the hydration bladder, as squeeze filter with the supplied water bag and/or be screwed on to standard soda bottle. It is a very versatile little unit. 

I'll try to put some pics of a couple of my kits in the next few days.

I highly recommend you walk the route you intend to take so as to better familiarize yourself with the task and then develop a required equipment list.

I would keep your get home bag as simple as possible in order to minimize weight and there by minimize the time impact of the trip.

Essentials to me are as follows:
Bag with good shoulder straps and a hip belt.
Waterproof mechanism such as a trash bag if the bag itself is not waterproof.
Footgear based on season, terrain covered, and weight carried. These do not have to be
boots.
One extra pair of socks to rotate out when the other pair has dried.
Hat.
Platypus for water.
Water purification tablets.
GORP of your own recipe equal to 4000 calories +\- based on your own needs.
Headlamp if travelling off road.
One set spare batteries for headlamp.
Minimal first aid products in order to control blisters, monkey butt, joint inflammation, and chaffing.
Small roll bathroom tissue.
One pair Frogg Toggs.

The expressed purpose should be to walk without delay to your residence and then recover as needed for follow on actions. Your feet may very well be in a very bad way at the end of this in addition to very serious joint stiffness/pain/swelling. I would stock your home to allow for expedient recovery.
  • Like 2

I highly recommend you walk the route you intend to take so as to better familiarize yourself with the task and then develop a required equipment list.

Great advice for most, but I have a 69 mile trek home from work if SHTF, potentially much much further if it happens while I'm on a jobsite.

Great advice for most, but I have a 69 mile trek home from work if SHTF, potentially much much further if it happens while I'm on a jobsite.

With increased distance involved in returning home you should consider a folding or take down bicycle and learn how to keep it running. Fold A Bikes are expensive so other options such as modifying a bicycle into a take down platform is another option.

• Like 1
I have 40 miles one way with 2 small rivers to cross. KISS. Does everyone here know what that means. The Obion river you can walk across, chest deep in most places, but trying to swim the Forked Deer River with a 40 lb pack ain't going to happen. Keep it light and easy to carry. I don't even keep extra mags in mine. 36 rounds on me and if that ain't enough I am in trouble anyway.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

When I was in the military, we learned how to make poncho raft in order to move all our gear, across a deep river. Not sure I could do it now, that was over 30 years ago.  But my point is that there are ways to do it.  BTW, 40 lbs is a lot!!!