Training in Nashville area?

Hey guys....  I'm relatively new to guns and looking to get some additional training beyond my CCW class.  It seems that several places offer more advanced training courses, but they pretty much never actually schedule them.  I've basically been going to Everything weapons range and doing some dry fire drills at the house.

Where is someplace great to go in the greater Nashville area to learn more advanced pistol techniques?

I will be teaching our Close Range Gunfighting class in Lewisburg Tn (south of Nashville on I 65) at the end of June. There is a thread in this subforum with more info.

I looked at that and would be super interested, but I thought it might be too advanced for my skills due to the novice shooter warning.  I've only done the CCW class for my permit, gone to the range a handful of times, and been doing drills from the dry fire training cards I bought.  Your other class looked perfect, but I'm looking for something I won't have to stay overnight for.

Edited by highergr0und

highergr0und;

I understand your concern or trepidation about taking a formal class early in your learning experiences, but believe my friend, this is the time to do so.

Training "scars", ingrained deficiencies from repetition of less than correct acts, are easily developed in our beginning stages of learning. It takes a lot longer to "unlearn" a way of doing something than to learn the correct manner in the beginning...ask me how I know. :cool:

I only wish I had the opportunities available now, and locally/regionally when I started my oft interrupted journey. Back then we had Cooper (Gunsite), Ray Chapman (Chapman Academy) and Mas Ayoob (LFI)...

Quality instruction is available quite handily now days.

I admit bias, as I've know Randy (Cruel Hand Luke) for a number of years and have trained with him several times. But Randy is definitely an instructor well worth your consideration. He has a gift for imparting quality information and helping you build the skills you need and do so correctly in the beginning.

We had a gentleman attend the recent rifle class in the Knoxville area that had purchased his AR only a couple of days before the class and fired it there his first time. He did great under Randy's tutelage.

While I'm not trying to be a commercial for Mr. Harris, I wholeheartedly recommend him when your time and schedule allows. True value for your training time and dollars. :2cents:

• Like 3
I'd be happy to take you out for the day and teach you some basics to advanced stuff. Whatever your comfortable with. PM me and we can talk a little. I have a background that's pretty extensive with shooting. Edited by 173rdABN
  • 2 months later...

highergr0und;

I understand your concern or trepidation about taking a formal class early in your learning experiences, but believe my friend, this is the time to do so.

Training "scars", ingrained deficiencies from repetition of less than correct acts, are easily developed in our beginning stages of learning. It takes a lot longer to "unlearn" a way of doing something than to learn the correct manner in the beginning...ask me how I know. :cool:

I only wish I had the opportunities available now, and locally/regionally when I started my oft interrupted journey. Back then we had Cooper (Gunsite), Ray Chapman (Chapman Academy) and Mas Ayoob (LFI)...

Quality instruction is available quite handily now days.

I admit bias, as I've know Randy (Cruel Hand Luke) for a number of years and have trained with him several times. But Randy is definitely an instructor well worth your consideration. He has a gift for imparting quality information and helping you build the skills you need and do so correctly in the beginning.

We had a gentleman attend the recent rifle class in the Knoxville area that had purchased his AR only a couple of days before the class and fired it there his first time. He did great under Randy's tutelage.

While I'm not trying to be a commercial for Mr. Harris, I wholeheartedly recommend him when your time and schedule allows. True value for your training time and dollars. :2cents:

This guy is correct. Randy threatened to cut my support hand index finger off several times. I had been shooting for a certain way for such a long time that I am still practicing at home trying to break the habit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn't have really cut it off......

The issue with wrapping index finger around the trigger guard is that MOST people who do that , whether they recognize it or not, actually tend to pull the muzzle down with that pressure they are applying to the trigger guard and the way they grip the gun is not the same every time. Consistency in results requires consistency in application and if the grip is not the same the gun moves around. If the gun moves around then the results are....Suboptimal.

Once you "cut out" that bad habit I think you will be happy with the results.

• Like 1
I will second the move for quality instruction. Randy is a great source and is 'near-by". I am a big fan of Front Sight training. The same as GunSite and some others mentioned. There are a lot of instructors that teach tactical shooting; in my experience many gloss over the basics and again in my opinion a big mistake. That is the foundation of your shooting and a component in your foundation of shooting. Lousy foundation and you will never reach your goals. You would be surprised, and especially those that have shot for years, how important your foundation is. I have taken a lot of classes, but only a couple really emphasize the importance of grip, stance, balance, 'aiming', trigger pull, etc. It will eventually show up down range, for better or worse.

There are a lot of instructors that teach tactical shooting; in my experience many gloss over the basics and again in my opinion a big mistake. That is the foundation of your shooting and a component in your foundation of shooting. Lousy foundation and you will never reach your goals. You would be surprised, and especially those that have shot for years, how important your foundation is. I have taken a lot of classes, but only a couple really emphasize the importance of grip, stance, balance, 'aiming', trigger pull, etc. It will eventually show up down range, for better or worse.

Words of wisdom right here.

Athletes spend countless hours doing the simple things for their sport in practice.  Baseball players field ground balls, basketball players take free throws, football players catch passes, all hundreds of times before a game.  Why should shooting be any different?

Best shooting time I ever had in the Army was at a course taught by a cadre of retired guys from CAC/Delta/whatever you want to call it.  They had us doing fundamental shooting for so long each day, good results from our "advanced" techniques like barricade shooting and rollover prone came very easily and we were able to have a lot of fun and hear that lovely "ting" from hitting the target with consistency.

I am Starting my intro to IDPA shooting Sept 12th at the Gallatin Gun Club. The brave new shooters that have shown up have shown a real lack of knowledge of the basics. They want to compete, but lack the training. I intend to give the folks that show up what they need to play the IDPA game. That will teach them gun handling skills and the confidence they need to grow their skill set to take the more advanced classed offered by Randy and others in this forum.

Since you are in Spring Hill you might want to look into Strategic Edge out in Chapel Hill. It's about a 20 min drive depending on what part of Spring Hill you are in. Lots of good shooters out there that are helpful and Tony (the owner) has several handgun and rifle course you can sign up for. I'm not at a point to be able to provide certification in anything but I would be willing to meet up with you and take you out there to work on some fundamentals/manual of arms type stuff.
  • 3 months later...