Concealed Carry on Military Installations - Possibly

Would be nice, but......not likely to happen, especially for civilians or retired military.

I see NO logical excuse for not allowing combat trained troops to carry a weapon. Best qualified on base.

JMHO

Not that I could see any commanding general or garrison commander actually allowing concealed carry on post....but if they ever did, like all things Army, they would adopt the most painful administrative process to make it happen.

• Like 6

Not that I could see any commanding general or garrison commander actually allowing concealed carry on post....but if they ever did, like all things Army, they would adopt the most painful administrative process to make it happen.

Ain't that the truth! They'd also reserve the right to officers and senior Staff NCO's

• Like 1

Not likely to pass in Washington, and even less likely the average soldier will be allowed to carry on base.

They'd also reserve the right to officers and senior Staff NCO's

I might see them allowing E-5 and above to carry, but there would be something like 2-3 checks a day and a formal reporting requirement, just like any other sensitive item check.  Never mind how fast post could get locked down if someone misplaces their carry gun.

• Like 1

I might see them allowing E-5 and above to carry, but there would be something like 2-3 checks a day and a formal reporting requirement, just like any other sensitive item check.  Never mind how fast post could get locked down if someone misplaces their carry gun.

Yep.  I was on Ft Wainwright when a M16 went missing.  The entire post was locked down for four days.  You would have thought a nuke had been misplaced.  The M16 was later found in the arms room.......armorer error.

If it were to happen, I think this is the most likely scenario.  Can't see them letting an 18 year fresh out of AIT carrying.  That's just not going to happen. 

If it were to happen, I think this is the most likely scenario.  Can't see them letting an 18 year fresh out of AIT carrying.  That's just not going to happen. 

As ridiculous as that is, you're probably right.  But they will give him and his friends rifles, grenades, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, tanks, etc!  It would be great if the military at least allowed permit holders to carry on base.

So, young military members should only have guns under supervision?

I didn't say that. I was only adding to what someone had said.  But as stated above, the young  members only get to use the guns/toys under supervision.  

I will admit looking back,, I did lose 90% of my common sense as did the other young airmen I served with while off duty drinking with at least with me  it was that way for the  the first 4 to 6 years.  The very stupid things we did. lucky no one  got seriously hurt!

But we never played with guns while drinking.     

• Like 1

So, young military members should only have guns under supervision?

I remember back in the day, (mid 80s) when we got paid, us older troops would take up a collection and go to Class 6 and pick up alcohol for all of the lower ranks in the platoon. Then we'd go have a big drinking party, where most of us got at least buzzed. We'd also go drink beer at the nearby snack bar and play pool. Saw several fights there between drunk soldiers. I can't imagine a worse place to have a loaded firearm.  I know we have guns in bars now, but I hope the average HCP holder would not be drinking at one while carrying.  Don't forget, most of these guys are just out of high school and they aren't used to drinking.  You get a couple beers down them and they think they are bullet proof.

That might not meet with the world as you see it, but that's the way it was then and I expect it's the same now.

I agree that handling firearms and drinking is not a good idea but this is not a military problem but a people problem. A common thing that happens in these threads is that people think that for some reason that a military member living the the barracks is different than one in college living in an apartment. That carrying on base, if allowed, is a right that should be given to the more responsible NCOs and officers. Every military member should be allowed to carry on base and anywhere else for that matter. I've spent 18 years being disarmed by the military and I'm sick of it.

As far as supervision, I've been out on ops where a 21 year old E-4 was trusted to direct A-10s, F-16s, B-1s and more where to put their bombs and bullets without "supervision". The level of supervision is limited to the ground commander pointing out the targets and the Airman controls the strikes. I've been trusted with assault weapons and explosives where my level of supervision was only me but I can't be trusted to carry a handgun on base. In CAS and small arms, nobody was there to hold our hands any more than if I were carrying a handgun on base, in fact I am much more supervised here than I was in combat.

It wasn't all that long ago that Staff Duty Officers & NCOs along with the Officers of the Day were always armed on Army Posts. I did my last armed duty as the Field Grade Officer of the Day in the early 90s at Bragg.  It was also SOP for units to man an armed Guard Force to control and secure sensitive areas. 

Fast forward to post 9-11 and all the talk was about hiring rental cops to secure the post I was on. I was confused. When I suggested to the CG that we arm all senior NCOs and Commanders - - - the look of shock on the faces of the JAG and the Provost Marshal told me that my Army was no longer one that I recognized.

The Army didn't trust us anymore...... 

• Like 4

As an active duty service member, I and a permit holder, I would love this.  Not that I really feel the need to carry at work, but it would be nice ot be able to carry when I stop for groceries or gas or whatever...  But if left to the CO of the base I am doubtful it will happen.

Drinking and guns should not be an issue; it would be a violation. As I understand it DUI now can lead to a discharge; same could apply. There will be stupid incidents that will make the news; same thing happens now and most aren’t young.

On a positive note the Army just reinstated the privilege to have full sleeve tattoos and the uniform policy will take place next month to allow the wear of the OCP camouflage instead of the UCP pattern while CONUS.  Things are going in the right direction and I think the new SMA will continue to pursue efforts like these.  

On a positive note the Army just reinstated the privilege to have full sleeve tattoos and the uniform policy will take place next month to allow the wear of the OCP camouflage instead of the UCP pattern while CONUS. Things are going in the right direction and I think the new SMA will continue to pursue efforts like these.

For this old E-6, please define OCP and UCP. When I was in, I wore OD green fatigues, jungle fatigues ( my personal favorite), woodland camo BDUs and Desert Storm issue chocolate chip BDUs.

On a positive note the Army just reinstated the privilege to have full sleeve tattoos and the uniform policy will take place next month to allow the wear of the OCP camouflage instead of the UCP pattern while CONUS. Things are going in the right direction and I think the new SMA will continue to pursue efforts like these.

For this old E-6, please define OCP and UCP. When I was in, I wore OD green fatigues, jungle fatigues ( my personal favorite), woodland camo BDUs and Desert Storm issue chocolate chip BDUs.

OCP is Overseas Camouflage Pattern or Multicam as Crye Precision,  the mfg, calls it.  UCP is Universal Camouflage Pattern,  big waste of money IMHO.  The new pattern is officially called scorpion,  but is essentially a Multicam variation but they couldn't call it OCP anymore since its also for CONUS.  My bet is that they change the uniforms just enough so you can tell them apart such as a pocket or two so intead of just using the current equipment and uniforms,  everything will have to be repurchased.

Kinda getting off topic, but OCP has had a few names since being adopted. Currently it is called Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) and is unrelated to the cut and material of the uniform or equipment it is printed on such as the Army Combat Uniform (ACU) or Army Aircrew Combat Uniform (A2CU) for uniforms. The uniforms themselves receive updates periodically for different cuts, pockets and closure methods.

Not many people at work believe concealed carry will be adopted, but I still remain hopeful.