Any opinions on this?

On it's face, a reasonable person would say most of those seem reasonable except for the extortion of withholding federal funds.  I think it's always good to discuss things, but unfortunately the one's putting these together have a specific agenda already in place and working before any of this is done.  

If I thought for a second we could have an open and reasoned discussion with all of these groups, no problem.  Problem is we can't and it won't happen.  Good thing a Federalization of the Police force can't and won't happen because of the constitution.  That doesn't mean they won't try.

I think Obama stopped all sales and gifts of Military equipment and firearms to all police departments. He made the announcement in a press conference the beginning of this week. The only things they will be able to get is body armor and riot shields. He said he didn't see a need for police departments to be militarized like they were in Ferguson MO. My guess is he is not wanting the police to be that protected from rioters and riots with a show of that kind of force. I am guessing he did have ulterior motives for this but would be racist to tell the truth...............jmho

An official national police force like some think isn't going to happen.  Using the FBI to make more cases- especially race related ones- federal cases could.  And I think we all know that coercion through federal funding is standard procedure for both parties.  So, that's nothing new

I think Obama stopped all sales and gifts of Military equipment and firearms to all police departments. He made the announcement in a press conference the beginning of this week. The only things they will be able to get is body armor and riot shields. He said he didn't see a need for police departments to be militarized like they were in Ferguson MO. My guess is he is not wanting the police to be that protected from rioters and riots with a show of that kind of force. I am guessing he did have ulterior motives for this but would be racist to tell the truth...............jmho

Wrong.  It wasn't all equipment, just very specific types, with added requirements to get others.

From USA Today:

"Banned will be tracked armored vehicles, bayonets, grenade launchers, camouflage uniforms, and large-caliber weapons and ammunition.

"So we're going to prohibit some equipment made for the battlefield that is not appropriate for local police departments," Obama said. "There's other equipment that may be needed in certain cases, but only with proper training."

That equipment will be placed on a "controlled equipment list" that includes aircraft, wheeled tactical vehicles, mobile command-and-control units, battering rams and riot gear.

To have access to that equipment, police departments must meet national policing standards, track their use and receive approval from the federal government before selling or transferring them.

To be eligible to purchase that equipment, agencies must adopt "robust and specific written policies and protocols" covering not just the use of the federal equipment, but their policing practices in general. Agencies that violate those rules would be barred from future equipment purchases for at least 60 days and, in some cases, be referred to the Justice Department for a civil rights investigation."

Unless someone thinks the local police department needs tracked vehicles, camo uniforms, and bayonets, I'm quite fine with those bans.  Not sure if the grenade launchers include all types, or just automatic ones like the MK-19.  Or if the armored vehicles they get that normally have launchers mounted will be taken off.  But don't worry, local PD's can still get a vehicle meant to protect against IED's in Iraq, they just have to do some more paperwork and training.

Of course, nothing is stopping local and state agencies from going out and buying all this stuff themselves.  Nothing except having to justify the cost of it to their taxpayers, of course.  I'd love to see the day where the Federal teet is cut off for these agencies.  Then we might get to have a real conversation about some laws that need to be repealed (cough *marijuana laws* cough...no pun intended) and the techniques that drive just how much equipment law enforcement says they need.

• Like 1