No more mail order ammo?

I got a "sky is falling, we need money" email from the NRA-ILA this morning. I didn't have time to read it in detail, but the basics were that Obama was going to ban all mail order ammo sales and any purchase over 1,000 rounds would be forwarded to DOJ for investigation. Anyone else get this or know anything about it?  I will read the whole email this evening and post back the details. Sounds like bs to me, just wanting contributions.

• Like 1
Sounds about right, nobody needs 1000rd's to kill Bambi any way! Next will be a $10 tax per round or some other ridiculous idea.

I haven't read up on it yet but do know some Cali pols were pitching the same concept, we hardly stop this guy with anything so I'm sure he'll try.
What these people fail to realize is that mail orders provide a paper trail whenever someone buys ammo in that they are handing over banking info and giving an address. Yet these people don't seem to care that we can walk into a store, buy as much ammo as we want, pay cash, and sans being recorded on store cctv remain anonymous. I really think they are looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Like 6

Not pointing a finger at Glenn and I appreciate the head's up...

But this is about all it takes to start another panic run these days... Primarily because with the current political climate anything seems probable.

Guess I better order some more ammo... :squint:

• Like 4

What these people fail to realize is that mail orders provide a paper trail whenever someone buys ammo in that they are handing over banking info and giving an address. Yet these people don't seem to care that we can walk into a store, buy as much ammo as we want, pay cash, and sans being recorded on store cctv remain anonymous. I really think they are looking for a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

They don't care. The left is obsessed with forcing everyone to live like they want everyone to live. It's not just firearms either. It's everything. 

• Like 5

There are beau coup bills submitted every session that go nowhere. It's just that those that involve firearm restrictions get the press, and ironically mostly from the firearm community itself.

- OS

Without a doubt the firearms community have more fear mongers than any other industry. And for a lot of those that strike fear in the hearts of gun owners do it for financial gain. And we, as gun owners, get drawn right in and perpetuate things like our current ammunition shortage/gouging.

Ever since I first really started watching gun related legislation there have been some insane bills. I remember legislation against "sniper" rifles in response to he DC sniper. It said something like any gun capable of 3" groups or smaller would be banned but like all the other crazy legislation it went no where. I also remember legislation introduced to tax ammunition by the round at a crazy rate. A lot of the bills introduced are done so with no intention of them ever being passed into law. They are introduced so they can tell those they represent they are doing this or doing that. And it happens on all sides.
  • Like 5

Dolomite is exactly right.... This stuff has already been ruled on in the federal court.... Regulating ammo with the intent to limit it is tatamount to restricting the right to bear arms... That has already been ruled on.... it's a "no-no"....

leroy

I do think some of these clowns would love to have all of those insane bills passed. It also seems to me that the only resistance to the current liberal agenda is spearheaded by the NRA, everything else seems to go through or kept hidden until lawsuits are filed which of course takes years.

Personally I think it's more than panic causing the ammo shortage, otherwise, stores would still GET ammo to sell instead of the occasional suprise delivery.

Just saw the hysterical email myself.  Chris Cox is no better than liberal reporters who count on ignorance and don't like to provide what I see as some critical information, like the proposed bill......https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2283

I totally agree. They sent a survey a couple of months ago with outrageous questions and assertions. I went and researched some of them and found that the NRA was lying just as badly as the gun haters.

Also, Obama is becoming less relevant every day as we move toward the election. I think Obama has angered enough people that we have a good chance to get a Republican if they come up with a decent candidate

I'm betting my mail lady would be on board for this bill. She once told my wife "I don't know what your husband keeps buying, but it sure is heavy! :devil:

The UPS guy knows the return addresses because he orders from several of the same places. :up:

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

Also, Obama is becoming less relevant every day as we move toward the election.

Quite the opposite, IMHO.  He has nothing to lose and don't forget he is still in office until January 2017....around 20 months from today.

• Like 3

Quite the opposite, IMHO.  He has nothing to lose and don't forget he is still in office until January 2017....around 20 months from today.

20 more months! I didn't realize it's that long. I really don't like his behavior. It is simply not acceptable to me to go around the system to force policy that a politician can't do otherwise.

Our government system is far from perfect, though checks and balances has been really powerful. Doing things like pressuring the ATF to ban ammo just doesn't work for me.

He doesn't have anything to loose but those who would get the bill to him do.

I'm sure he has quite a list of "surprises" for us during his last six months in office as he uses his cell phone and pen threat to it's fullest.

I am afraid of him doing some last minute executive orders banning the import of foreign ammunition and firearms. And out of respect they would NEVER get overturned by any other president. I have 17 months to buy as many "assault weapons" because no matter what happens in the election they will be more valuable.

I can honestly see Hillary winning and she has already said that gun owners terrorize the US populace so I expect her term as president will be a true, in every sense of the word, assault on gun owners and their gun rights. Her husband did it so why not expect her to do the same. And it is not because they hate firearms, it is because they hate for the peasants to have a means to resist. Gun control is not about guns but it sure is hell about control, control of the populace by the ruling class.

What I am really looking forward to seeing is his presidential pardon list. Every president does it but I suspect we will see a lot more than usual and that those he will pardon are considered threats to the United States. Ever wonder why he pushed for the terrorists to be tried in US courts rather than military tribunals? Possibly to make a presidential pardon possible.

• Like 4
My friends up in New York State, NOT NYC, told me they yes they CAN buy ammo on the internet BUT, it has to be shipped to an FFL for them to pick up there and show ID and I guess it might be same as a firearm purchase . Fees involved, makes it expensive and not worth doing. So your stuck paying inflated store prices which went up because they can .. Like gasoline.
So if that's not regulating internet ammo purchases I don't know what is !

They can't stop honest law abiding folks from buying guns but sure as heck can tax the crap out of it and make it a rich mans sport.
How many .22's were sold fer Christmas this year ? When you can't buy or find ammo for it, guess little Jonny gets another video game Cartrige. Many family's are not shooting with their children like they use to because of 22 ammo.

Just my .02 cents worth based on conversations with folks that don't shoot much any more because of ...... Ammo.

Mike
  • 2 weeks later...

You are right myG30. And I personally think that was the idea all along. If we are not dilligent to take kids shooting, we will end up with a generation that are not marksman. I really feel like gun owners and their shooting abilities has always helped to keep the checks and balances in line to a degree.

I recently bought a barrel and ammunition from a guy in Massachusetts. He said he cannot buy ANYTHING from Midway, not a firing pin, a paper target or anything from their website. He said the reason was Massachusetts told Midway that they needed to comply with some sort of rules and actually fined Midway. Midway told them to get bent and now refuses to honor any sales to Massachusetts. Massachusetts is worried someone will order a new trigger spring for a firearm and make the trigger pull less than required by law. BTW, Thompson Center cannot sell their firearms in the state they are made, Massachusetts, because they refuse to send the state sample guns and pay the thousands of dollars to certify them.