Recycling brass

Guest southpaw14

Guest southpaw14

I ordered some military surplus .223 brass that was pre primed.  Unfortunately, some of this brass is not loadable.  First, is it possible to safely punch out live primers? Also, what do y'all do with brass that is no longer able to be used? Thanks in advance!   

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it not able to be loaded?

I wouldn't try to punch those primers out.

Same question I have.

You can "fire" the primer in the firearm. just chamber, close bolt and pull the trigger, then repeat.

In the event that it cannot be chambered toss it in your recycle bin, if you can chamber it then as mentioned above then fire it, but before you toss it if that is what needs to be done just drop a drip of oil in it and let it set.  You could save it for later when you get ready to go with a 300blk then cut it down resize it and your ready to go, but still place a drop of oil in it before running it through a depriming die, so it doesn't go boom in your face.

I have deprimed live primers several times. It takes more force to set them off than you expect (I have set several off intentionally to try and get the feel for it).

Just slowly deprime without sudden hard pressure. Be careful, wear safety glasses as an extra precaution, etc. Edited by jonathon1289
Guest southpaw14

Thanks for the input.  Some of them are due to excessive denting in the side (pushed about 1/2 way into case), some split case necks, and some of them look as though they have had a chunk cut out of one side of the neck.  Only about 1 in every 30-40 do I have to throw out, but with 2K cases to inspect, they are adding up quickly.  

You have to figure that there will be certain number that is needing to be culled from the stack just hope it doesn't go over 10 percent if the number grows complain, however most sellers of brass include extra for that very reason. I am on my phone but if you look up David Mosely here, he is a vendor of reloading supplies great person, and great products he will hook you up with all the consumables at great prices, you cant go wrong by buying from him.