Walther P22 P.O.S. Has anyone been able to fix one of these?

Kind of a long story, partly rant and partly info gathering post, but here goes.....

I'm wondering if anyone else has had one of these miserable little failures that gave problems and was finally fixed by someone. I have one that's an early model that I bought new several years ago that was made by S&W. It was a POS right out of the box. It would fail to chamber or stovepipe firing maybe 2 or  3 times in a row on every single mag. It was cleaned and oiled before first trip to the range, and cleaned/oiled afterwards, but it never has operated properly. It is a cheap little pistol and I think I gave less than $300 for it several years ago, but dang.....it should function as designed, right? I tried several ammo brands, different magazines, other peoples magazines and nothing would work, so I figured I had a dud and sent it back to S&W.  They sent it back to me and bingo, same thing. It was still a POS. Well this was several years ago but I do remember getting PO'd and throwing it back in my safe and forgot about it. I should have pressed the issue back then I know, but sometimes I get frustrated and say POI. I recently found the thing while rummaging through my safe and decided to see if S&W or Walther would fix or replace the dang thing. I mean there are literally hundreds to thousands of posts about the poor quality of this pistol and it being plagued with problems like mine has. It seems you either get a good one and it's great, or you get one like mine and it's a POS. 

Well, the bottom line is, Smith said they don't touch them anymore and everything about the P22 is Walther's problems and I would have to contact them. Walther says there never was a recall on the P22 and refuted the fact that the early P22's like mine had problems but I'm thinking they have had hundreds if not thousands of these pistols sent back for repair. They say I'd have to pay to send mine back to them and for any repairs. So, has anyone here has or had one of these leprosy plagued pistols and was able to make it function correctly?  If so, please tell me what you did to fix it. I'm gonna tear it down and fix it or beat it to death with a hammer.

Thanks for any info someone may have.

Edited by Randall53
Right now, jimic here's my plan. I'm gonna take it apart and see if I can fix it. If I can't fix it, or if I can't get it back together (very possible scenario...LOL) then yep. I probably would look at that option.

The Sig Mosquitos are not much better, that have the pot metal slide as well. When I was looking for a small pistol for my suppressor, before the 22 shortage, I called S&W and Sig. Sig told me that the Mosquito will last 10K-15K rounds with proper maintenance. Smith told me their 22 would last "forever" and I said I doubt it and removed them from the running. I bought a Ruger SR-22 and after a HUGE fiasco it has turned out to be a really good pistol. Matter of fact the ONLY little pistol I will buy again would be the Ruger SR22, at least it has a slide made out of real metal. And even though it is aluminum it has been extremely durable.

A funny Walther story. A friend bought one brand new and brought it over to my house to shoot it. Within three magazines the front sight popped off. I looked at it and realized it was just pressed in place so I pressed it in place hoping it would stay. Nope, within a magazine the front sight was gone again but this time we could not find it. I will say it ran like a scalded dog though.

The Sig Mosquitos are not much better, that have the pot metal slide as well. When I was looking for a small pistol for my suppressor, before the 22 shortage, I called S&W and Sig. Sig told me that the Mosquito will last 10K-15K rounds with proper maintenance. Smith told me their 22 would last "forever" and I said I doubt it and removed them from the running. I bought a Ruger SR-22 and after a HUGE fiasco it has turned out to be a really good pistol. Matter of fact the ONLY little pistol I will buy again would be the Ruger SR22, at least it has a slide made out of real metal. And even though it is aluminum it has been extremely durable.

A funny Walther story. A friend bought one brand new and brought it over to my house to shoot it. Within three magazines the front sight popped off. I looked at it and realized it was just pressed in place so I pressed it in place hoping it would stay. Nope, within a magazine the front sight was gone again but this time we could not find it. I will say it ran like a scalded dog though.

As I recall, the P22 came with multiple front sights so you can sight it in. Mine was actually a gift, and never caused me any real problems. It DID have good mags, and I have always used minimags in it. I don't shoot that much 22 pistol. If I did, I would get a Ruger or a Browning.

They say I'd have to pay to send mine back to them and for any repairs.

In my experience, this is not the norm in the industry.  Most manufacturers will warranty their guns against defects in materials and workmanship.  Anyone else have this issue with Walther?  Makes me want to blacklist them.

Edited by 10-Ring

Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaasseeee do not get a Sig Mosquito. I have tried to fix that darn trigger on two of them, following Mississippi Dave's (from Rimfirecentral.com) advice and instructions.  The Sig is the worst .22LR pistol I have ever had the displeasure of having. It is not made by Sig and only looks like a Sig, it has no training crossover value to the "22X" series.  Anyone who says different has never shot a good .22lr pistol or has buyer's remorse justifying a wrongheaded decision.  The Walther P22, IMHO, is hit or miss.  Follow Dolomite's advice, get a Ruger SR22 if you need a small .22LR.  http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html

Heck, I would get a Jennings/Jimenez J22 before I would get a Mosquito or P22.  I know I would get a Phoenix Arms pot metal .22 before the Sig or the Walther. At least Jimenez and Phoenix make no bones about pot metal, it is what it is and is priced right in these two cases.

http://jimenezarmsinc.com/22lr.htm

https://phoenix-arms.com/Products/HP22A.html

If you want a simple effective .22LR that is intuitive to clean and take apart then get a Buckmark which is essentially designed pretty much like the High Standards. Colts and all the external blow back "target" pistols.  Even the S&W 22A operates on the same principle.  

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=006B

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764598_-1_757752_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

If you want the best value for your money get the cheapest Ruger MK series you can afford, whether pre-MK series, MKI, MKII or MKIII it really doesn't matter.  I have had them all and they just plain work - forever.  Watch youtube vids on takedown and reassembly of the MK series and you will wonder why some people often whine about that aspect of these fine shooting pistols.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIII/index.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245/index.html

Next up is the Hammerli Xesse (entry level used to be Sig Trailside), followed by the S&W 41.  After that you are are in international competition grade .22lr pistols like Pardini, Benelli, Walther, etc. I've had the chance to shoot a couple of these but have no interest in owning them at this time.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryItemListBody&c=FITP  (Tennessee based dealer)

http://www.larrysguns.com/Departments/New-Guns.aspx

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764922_-1_757752_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I'm not a big fan of .22 conversions for Glocks either, having had 5 or 6.  

However, if you simply want the best .22 conversion for a 1911 then get a Nelson Custom Conversion with a match barrel and your choice of upper rail (which can be easily changed later) which can have black target sights, optic rail or target rear with fine fiber optic front sight. If you have a 1911 with a nice trigger just get the Nelson conversion and forget about a stand alone .22lr pistol.  Nelson sells match threaded barrels also.

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/

Edited by graycrait

READ THIS! If you can't fix it after you are done, then God probably just hates you...

https://www.gunfactory.ch/download/Walther_P22_bible.pdf

I just downloaded this. Thanks. That's some good info right there. It will be my instruction manual for sure.

I have a Buckmark that I've shot a couple of thousand rounds through and it still spits 'em out like it was brand new. My son and I shot most of a brick through it more than one time at the range. It was dirty as crap, but was still shooting when we were ready to pack it in. I really love the buckmark, but wanted the Walther because of size and feel. Too bad it turned out to be junk.

PS...thanks for all the replies!! Maybe I'll be able to fix it. I'll never buy another one though. That's for sure.

Edited by Randall53

Sounds good. They can be a real pain.

Sig Mosquito got me !!!!!!!!! 

Ditto. That is one other POS. I got one in a trade. Always ftf/fte-ing. Finally took it to a gun show and sold it. I almost felt bad for the buyer.

I wish that's what I had bought!

See above.

I just downloaded this. Thanks. That's some good info right there. It will be my instruction manual for sure.

I have a Buckmark that I've shot a couple of thousand rounds through and it still spits 'em out like it was brand new. My son and I shot most of a brick through it more than one time at the range. It was dirty as crap, but was still shooting when we were ready to pack it in. I really love the buckmark, but wanted the Walther because of size and feel. Too bad it turned out to be junk.

PS...thanks for all the replies!! Maybe I'll be able to fix it. I'll never buy another one though. That's for sure.

The Brownings and Rugers are good pistols. You can make the Walther run. It just won't last as long. I only use mine for breaking in brand new shooters. My girlfriends was actually carrying hers in the car. I hope she has stopped that practice

Ditto. That is one other POS. I got one in a trade. Always ftf/fte-ing. Finally took it to a gun show and sold it. I almost felt bad for the buyer.

See above.

Hmm....I guess I misunderstood....I did think of buying one one time so I guess I dodged that bullet after all!! 

Edited by Randall53

Seriously buddy, as you can see...there is a real dislike for the Mosquito around here. It's the second worst pistol I've ever owned. I think the P22 is a close third.

But those are just my experiences. YMMV

If I mentioned the first...the HK guys will riot again, just like last time I brought it up. lol

Edited by hipower

Seriously buddy, as you can see...there is a real dislike for the Mosquito around here. It's the second worst pistol I've ever owned. I think the P22 is a close third.

But those are just my experiences. YMMV

If I mentioned the first...the HK guys will riot again, just like last time I brought it up. lol

I must have missed the first time, a H&K .22lr pistol? Tell more...

And speaking of the Sig 1911-22, I saw one recently that had issues.  The owner had bought it new and had pushed about 500 rounds through it.  He then decided to take it apart for cleaning.  He followed the maker's disassembly instructions until he got to the "barrel locking screw" which is the last element to be removed in order to strip the slide from the frame.  This is a threaded screw with hex head (the factory supplies an allen wrench for this chore).  The screw has common right-hand threads.  The owner inserted the wrench into the screw and got about 1/2 turn when the head separated from the screw body.  It was his guess the screw was heavily torqued on initial installation.  He contacted Sig and they asked to have the pistol returned to him, sent him a call tag and apologies for the problem.  Even the quality makers can have the occasional FUBAR.

Stumpy

• Like 1

I must have missed the first time, a H&K .22lr pistol? Tell more...

Sorry, I didn't make that clear enough. That statement was meant to be about worst pistols, not to indicate that the second worst was an HK 22 pistol, just an HK that I had owned in the mid 1980s.

And speaking of the Sig 1911-22, I saw one recently that had issues.  The owner had bought it new and had pushed about 500 rounds through it.  He then decided to take it apart for cleaning.  He followed the maker's disassembly instructions until he got to the "barrel locking screw" which is the last element to be removed in order to strip the slide from the frame.  This is a threaded screw with hex head (the factory supplies an allen wrench for this chore).  The screw has common right-hand threads.  The owner inserted the wrench into the screw and got about 1/2 turn when the head separated from the screw body.  It was his guess the screw was heavily torqued on initial installation.  He contacted Sig and they asked to have the pistol returned to him, sent him a call tag and apologies for the problem.  Even the quality makers can have the occasional FUBAR.

Stumpy

Hmmm. I bought one of the Sig 1911-22 during a promotion and have yet to shoot it. I'll be sure to keep this in mind afterwards.

I have put probably two thousand rounds through my 1911-22 and haven't taken it apart to clean it.  I always wipe down everything I can reach with a pick, and of course do the barrel every now and then, but I wouldn't say I baby it.  I will probably just shoot it until I have an issue, but good know about that screw head.