Review of Valor Ridge's PistolCraft-I Class

Guest TnNucMan

Guest TnNucMan

Hi there fellow TGO's.  I'm a long-time lurker but finally got the intiative to join up and really participate.

I want to share an extended review of a class I just took this weekend up at Reid Henrich's new Valor Ridge training facility in Harrogate, TN – very near the Cumberland Gap.  First... I want to assure you I have no financial interest in Reid's enterprise...

This is an extended review... so grab a cup of coffee and read-on!

A REVIEW OF VALOR RIDGE'S PISTOLCRAFT-I CLASS

I was privileged to be a member of Reid’s first official Pistol Craft I class on June 6-7, 2015.  My purpose here is to provide a synopsis and review of my experience at Valor Ridge for those of you who might be considering further firearms training.  I’m certainly no “warrior” and I have no military or law enforcement background.  But I have taken other firearms training from some well-known instructors.

First… our class of fourteen was comprised of individuals and families, men and women, young and old, black and white, native-born and immigrant.  We had teenagers just graduated from high school (both genders), moms, physicians, EMTs, engineers, schoolteachers, and truck drivers.  Our ages ranged from ~18 to 60+ years.  (I was struck by how much our group looked like America.)  Some folks had only shot a pistol a couple of times before coming to the class.  Other folks, like me, were long-time gun owners and had trained with other organizations.  What a great group of new friends I made! 

Reid has a unique way of blending theory, innovative practice drills, history, and philosophy into a challenging, exhilarating, and tremendously rewarding training experience.  Filled with passion but not foul language, Reid’s language and delivery is respectful and dignified.  (His “PG-rated” delivery is, for me, a welcomed change from the profanity-laced, vulgar vocabulary that has become far too common in the firearms training business.)  Reid has a rare ability to meet individuals where they are in their understanding and skills.  No question is too simple or too complicated.  Then there are his extraordinarily innovative range drills that really drive home the classroom lectures.

Day 1 instruction started with firearms safety, fundamentals of marksmanship, proper draw and presentation of the pistol and related range drills, followed by a truly inspirational classroom session on the " martial attitude".  Next we covered stoppage (gun malfunction) clearances for all three types of stoppages, shooting on the move, correct martial posture, high-noon position and checking of surroundings.  Then lunch.  Afternoon range drills drove all of this home with intense but fun exercises – including shooting on the move, shooting from the ground, single-handed shooting, and a standard law enforcement qualifying session.  I really enjoyed all of this, and the qualifying exercise gave me a very good benchmark against the performance of professional law enforcement officers – as well as providing me a great starting point for Day 2.

Day 2 began with a classroom session on criminal behavior and situational awareness, followed by a truly insightful session on the ingredients of Markmanship.  Then out to the range for some more great drills relating to seeing your target, shooting past people, shooting on the move (forward, backward, left, and right), shooting up close, and shooting at distances most of us would consider to be impossible with pistols (with Reid and JJ’s help, I accomplished shots I never imagined I could do before.)  After lunch, it was back to the classroom for another one of those insightful, impassioned, and moving lectures on “Purpose” (one’s purpose in life that is, and our responsibility to others).  Finally, back to the range for the last drill session, and boy was it one to remember!  First, we took the FBI PQC 09 qualifying test.  Believe it or not, due to Reid and J.J.’s excellent instruction, I scored an 84 (not fantastic, but I’ll take it when 70 is a passing grade).  Wow!  And then a couple of drills that capped the entire weekend.  (I won’t spoil it for you, but let me just say the drills on the second day are amazing, “eye-opening”, and truly unforgettable experiences.) 

This was not my first formal pistol training, but it certainly was the best training class I’ve taken – by a long shot.  Put simply, training with Reid and his team at Valor Ridge Team is a transforming Experience.  Not only will you benefit from some of the finest instructors in the business, you will leave “The Ridge” with a renewed passion for America, and a deepened respect for our Founding Fathers, our Founding Principles, and our Constitution.

And wowwhat a beautiful location and campus!  There in the majestic rolling ridges and mountains near the historic Cumberland Gap, you can almost hear the echoes of Daniel Boone and the early pioneers who blazed the Wilderness Road way back in 1775.  The air is fresh and clear, and the evening bonfire competes only with the moon and the Milky Way for your attention. 

Firearms training simply doesn’t get any better than this.  Take my advice.  Don’t settle for a good firearms training class when you can have a Valor Ridge Experience.  It’s like a vacation, only better.  I didn’t just bring back wonderful memories.  I brought back knowledge and skills that will serve me and my loved-ones through out my life.  Thank you Reid Henrichs and Valor Ridge !

Edited by TnNucMan
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnNucMan

Thanks Australopithecus (love the handle!).   I'm not a newbie, but I've got a lot to learn.  As you can see, I was delighted with my experience up there.  So great to find such a great option so close to home... (I still can't quite get over the makeup of the class and how much it looked like U.S. ...

• 3 weeks later...