Guess where you can not carry in SC….

Actually, you can carry in a church in South Carolina, if you have the express permission of the church.

South Carolina Code of Laws

Title 23 - Law Enforcement and Public Safety

ARTICLE 4 Concealed Weapon Permits

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.

(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(8) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body;

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

Back when I attended church on a more regular occasion than I do now I was always armed and if I ever begin going back on a regular basis I will go armed again. I know I might be a bad person for doing so but if a real Bad guy shows up this Sheep Dog will be doing his best to take care of business and protecting the sheep and probably hope there might be another couple Sheep Dogs for back up...............jmho

I'm actually in a church at least 6 times a year, not counting the occasional funeral. I always actually feel somewhat paranoid there really -- think it has to do with what an irony it would be for an old heathen to get snuffed there! ;)

Of course I'm armed, but one of the few places I go where the likely scenario involved in a mass shooting makes the little Kahr 9 in my pocket feel like a long distance impotent popgun. :)

- OS

Last time I checked, BGs don't ask permission or particularly care about firearm laws that are obeyed by law abiding citizens.

Sure, but to say that churches in South Carolina are gun free zones is misleading.  The church has the ability to allow carry, so the decision to allow or not is on them, not the state. 

Hypothetical: if the law was the same here in Tennessee, how many of you would actively seek out a church where the Pastor/Reverend/Rabbi/Priest allows carry?  How many of you would avoid a church that doesn't allow it?

I would get permission or find another church.

I know of quite a few people at my church that carry, including me. It's one of the reasons I used to justify buying a LCP - so I could stick it in my pocket instead of the hassle of CC in a holster with a tucked in shirt.

Heck, our youth minister carries. He and I were coming back from a youth event (when I first started attending church here) and I saw his holster briefly. When I mentioned it, he said he just felt the calling to be able to defend people's children if he had to. After I told him I understood, and was carrying as well, he seemed much more at ease.
  • Like 1

Sure, but to say that churches in South Carolina are gun free zones is misleading.  The church has the ability to allow carry, so the decision to allow or not is on them, not the state. 

Hypothetical: if the law was the same here in Tennessee, how many of you would actively seek out a church where the Pastor/Reverend/Rabbi/Priest allows carry?  How many of you would avoid a church that doesn't allow it?

Interesting enough when we first moved here that was first question I asked.

Now I volunteer there as well.

Help me with this logic puzzle:

You are a Good Guy, basically, with the standard shortcomings and flaws. You Concealed Carry into a South Carolina church. You keep it concealed. Are there great odds that any one will ask you if you are concealed carrying? No.  

If they do ask, do you have to tell them the truth? No. Will God reach down and strike you dead with a bolt of lightning for telling a little white lie in church? Probably not, though you might be called upon to justify your actions to St. Peter when the time comes.

Back here on Earth, with a Concealed Carry in your pocket, can they legally search you? No.

Are we done here? You tell me, it's a logic puzzle.

And, another logic puzzle.

Here's the converse case one:

You are a Bad Guy. You Concealed Carry into a South Carolina church. You keep it concealed. Are you going to run into any Good Guys with a Concealed Carry in a South Carolina Church? If they are Stupidly Good and Naive, probably not. Can you kill nine people and escape into the night? Yes.

And, here's the converse case two:

You are a Bad Guy. You Concealed Carry into a South Carolina church. You keep it concealed. Are you going to run into any Good Guys with a Concealed Carry in a South Carolina Church?  If they are merely Good Enough, perhaps. Can you kill nine people and escape into the night? Probably Not.

Which is the preferred outcome?

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1

I think the political forum still doesn't show in new stuff, but I made couple of posts there about how up till now, our US gun oriented mass killers have for the most part been only minimally competent in tactics and with the firearms themselves, and alone, and consequently the number of victims relatively small.

(if ya care to read them):

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/88694-obama-on-charleston-shooting/#entry1278699

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/88694-obama-on-charleston-shooting/#entry1278781

But the end point of it was, and why I'm repeating this part here, is that:

it seems inevitable to me that we're going to see some group of "homegrown hajis" (or real ones ambling across the Mexican border) at some point with enough on the ball tactics-wise, and no fear of death, rack up a LARGE number in some public gathering, and a Christian church is certainly among the more convenient places for them, not to mention ideologically likely more tempting than most too.

And of course then things tend to trend, too. If something doesn't change in this country (not that I know exactly what that change could consist of exactly), it would not surprise me that church/synagogue services become at least a somewhat dicey endeavor, as they are in other parts of the world these days.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

In all honesty I don't see very many churches purchasing million dollar metal detectors to place and all their entrances to keep bad guys from entering so a Sheep Dog probably won't have any issues while going armed in Church and with churches now becoming targets I think more and more Churches are going to look the other way for their flock being armed to protect those who are not...........jmho

• Like 1
Well, as a born again gun totin' Catholic, I am pretty sure God doesn't really care about guns (or weapons) in church. I have yet to find in the Bible where is it a sin to defend yourself and/or cause the death of an shooter trying to kill both Christians AND non-Christians

OS brings up a good tactical point, in a church's common areas (or a movie theatre) a compact handgun is not the best choice considering the potentially extreme distances.

I may add 25 yard combat pistol shooting to my regimen for my worst case "in a church" scenarios... Edited by Gotthegoods

You can find God at the gun range just as easy as any church house.  Charlie Haffner ALWAYS starts the day with a morning invocation.  He's also more than happy to talk about God or pray with you any time.  He will pray for healing or pray your groups tighten up.  Or both!

I go to the range EARLY sunday, get there before they open, maybe pick up trash or just sit and listen to the birds.  More God there than any church I ever been in.  

• Like 1

I was conflicted about carrying in church so I talked to one of the deacons and found out 4 out of 6 of our deacons are armed every service so now I am to. It really surprised me that they had talked and planned for a problem in church, the deacons are all seated in different areas in the church during service and 2 of them are with the children during sunday school. I was really very impressed at the planning and I bet 99% of the other members have no ideal, like I didn't before I asked. 

• Like 1