Uber bans guns

FedEx Ground contracts are yearly, and whatever they put in the new one, you either sign or you're out. Except for OTR rigs, your investment in trucks becomes near worthless too, as there's really not another market for them but FedEx contractors themselves, and of course they go for lowball amounts once you're stuck having to sell them.

In short, once you've invested there, no formal civil repercussions necessary to ruin your life if you don't go along to get along. ;)

- OS

Well that's the gamble of signing a contract I know, But what I was saying is that if someone signs a contract with a company and the company changes the contract and that person doesn't agree with the changes, the company can't sue for breech of contract. Actually they are the ones who breached the original contract in the first place if they changed it or added anything not agreed upon by the contractor.

Edited by K191145

Well that's the gamble of signing a contract I know, But what I was saying is that if someone signs a contract with a company and the company changes the contract and that person doesn't agree with the changes, the company can't sue for breech of contract. Actually they are the ones who breached the original contract in the first place if they changed it or added anything not agreed upon by the contractor.

Ever since FedEx started Ground in one fell swoop by buying out RPS and re-branding it, they just pay a few million a year in settlements and or tax penalties around the country, and change the operating structure and agreement state by state to get out from under whatever suits that were filed against them determining that the "contractors" were de facto "employees" . Which includes yearly tweaking of the contractor contract. You either sign it and keep operating, or quit and sue, and of course you'll never recover.

In TN, this has lead to contractors being unable to have a single route, but must have multiple ones to service an entire area -- only designed to ensure that since the contractors must hire other folks to run them, they couldn't be classed as employees anymore. Etc.

Even the biggest Class Act lawsuit that has been going on for more than a decade has only paid out chump change. FedEx has a small staff of lawyers whose main job is to hire other lawyers, who of course are paid much more than the total collective settlements in all 50 states to date.

They also made a deal with IRS to get out from under a half billion tax penalty just for one operating year, with no other years audited in future -- this of course all due to Fred Smith lubing the palms on the Hill.

All this also applies to Home Delivery branch, also, which is just a division of Ground.

Contracts with the big boys like these aren't really worth the paper they're written on in actual real world terms -- as they can tweak your actual income in a hundred ways to control your behavior without ever technically breaking the contract terms. And even if they do, and you somehow finance a suit through to a conclusion and win, it'll still cost them a helluva lot less in a settlement than they made off ya in the first place.

oops, got wound up.../rant

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Ever since FedEx started Ground in one fell swoop by buying out RPS and re-branding it, they just pay a few million a year in settlements and or tax penalties around the country, and change the operating structure and agreement state by state to get out from under whatever suits that were filed against them determining that the "contractors" were de facto "employees" . Which includes yearly tweaking of the contractor contract. You either sign it and keep operating, or quit and sue, and of course you'll never recover.

In TN, this has lead to contractors being unable to have a single route, but must have multiple ones to service an entire area -- only designed to ensure that since the contractors must hire other folks to run them, they couldn't be classed as employees anymore. Etc.

Even the biggest Class Act lawsuit that has been going on for more than a decade has only paid out chump change. FedEx has a small staff of lawyers whose main job is to hire other lawyers, who of course are paid much more than the total collective settlements in all 50 states to date.

They also made a deal with IRS to get out from under a half billion tax penalty just for one operating year, with no other years audited in future -- this of course all due to Fred Smith lubing the palms on the Hill.

All this also applies to Home Delivery branch, also, which is just a division of Ground.

Contracts with the big boys like these aren't really worth the paper they're written on in actual real world terms -- as they can tweak your actual income in a hundred ways to control your behavior without ever technically breaking the contract terms. And even if they do, and you somehow finance a suit through to a conclusion and win, it'll still cost them a helluva lot less in a settlement than they made off ya in the first place.

oops, got wound up.../rant

- OS

Voice of experience

Yep, a nonstarter for me. It's not just that they are keeping a weapon out of their vehicle, they are keeping that passenger from being armed before and after the trip as well, perhaps for a full workday. That is absolutely unacceptable. 

The new policy has already had the predictable results: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/rifle-wielding-uber-fare-robs-driver-queens-article-1.2270631

I'm glad the driver wasn't hurt; the next one may not be so fortunate....

That doesn't make sense. Fares aren't negotiable, at least the way UberX works here. Unless he was getting riders via the app and then taking cash. Otherwise drivers don't even need to have cash. Everything is on the card through the app.

Somebody else not happy about Uber.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/15/news/companies/uber-france-ban/index.html

Taxi companies are upset all over the world. I would be too if I had failed to advance into the 21st century and someone beat me to it.

And of course the unions have the ear of democrats, and probably some republicans too. So the gubmint has to do something.
  • Like 1

Taxi companies are upset all over the world. I would be too if I had failed to advance into the 21st century and someone beat me to it.

Pretty much.  Uber is to cab drivers as ATM's were to bank teller's.  There will still be a need for some, but not in the numbers they have now.

Well I haven't taken a taxi cab since 1983 at Ft. Stewart, i've had friends and family drive me if I needed it, rented a vehicle a time or two but mostly drove my own vehicle. If for some strange reason I had to have a cab ride, or Uber ride for anything i'll will totally ignore their silly rule about carrying my handgun. If the vehicle doesn't have proper signage on the window the most they can do is tell me to get out before my destination, then they wont get paid for a 1/2 ride. Just like a building, they would have to have a gun buster sign on their window. I seriously doubt i'll need a cab anyway, haven't needed one for 32 years.

Well I haven't taken a taxi cab since 1983 at Ft. Stewart, i've had friends and family drive me if I needed it, rented a vehicle a time or two but mostly drove my own vehicle. If for some strange reason I had to have a cab ride, or Uber ride for anything i'll will totally ignore their silly rule about carrying my handgun. If the vehicle doesn't have proper signage on the window the most they can do is tell me to get out before my destination, then they wont get paid for a 1/2 ride. Just like a building, they would have to have a gun buster sign on their window. I seriously doubt i'll need a cab anyway, haven't needed one for 32 years.

Never used Uber, but I would imagine that the no guns thing is buried in their Terms & Conditions we all never read, and since the money is transferred electronically via the app and a linked card/account, that there wouldn't be any prorating if you're found to be in violation of their rules.

That's if you get made carrying.  I'd also imagine that it would take someone going Open Carry Texas style for a driver to notice.

Never used Uber, but I would imagine that the no guns thing is buried in their Terms & Conditions we all never read, and since the money is transferred electronically via the app and a linked card/account, that there wouldn't be any prorating if you're found to be in violation of their rules.

That's if you get made carrying.  I'd also imagine that it would take someone going Open Carry Texas style for a driver to notice.

Well that's another thing, i'm very paranoid about using my credit or debit card on anything really, I try to carry enough greenbacks to take care of most of my purchases, use the debit for gas or groceries and never hand it off to any employee anywhere so if a taxie wont take cash then I wouldn't ride. Anyway, without signage on the vehicle itself nothing legal in Tennessee can be done, we need to work on the "signs have no legal weight" law in Tennessee next. Like I said, it's been since 83 since I took a cab and remember paying them after I reached my destination, not before and i'm damn sure not handing them any card.

Anyway with all that's been said on this thread, with today's climate I will not be going anywhere without my handgun no matter who likes it or not. For one thing I feel like i'm a target right now, a southern white male, the most hated person on the planet.

Well that's another thing, i'm very paranoid about using my credit or debit card on anything really, I try to carry enough greenbacks to take care of most of my purchases, use the debit for gas or groceries and never hand it off to any employee anywhere so if a taxie wont take cash then I wouldn't ride. Anyway, without signage on the vehicle itself nothing legal in Tennessee can be done, we need to work on the "signs have no legal weight" law in Tennessee next. Like I said, it's been since 83 since I took a cab and remember paying them after I reached my destination, not before and i'm damn sure not handing them any card.

Unless Uber gets hacked, nobody can get your card that way. It's all done through the app. No cash or cards exchange hands.

Of course I have a specific account I use for purchases. Only keep a couple hundred in that account at most. If that number gets taken, it just gets changed. I've been fortunate that the bank caught the couple times my number has been taken and the thieves weren't able to buy anything.

If I'm ever caught without a car and Uber is available, I'm using it. I trust it a lot more than a cab. I am a bit biased having been a driver for the past few months.