Thoughts on Ruger American in 22lr

MrBrian

Thinking about getting a bolt action 22lr.....   I already have a 10/22 takedown, a Winchester Model 1906 pump, and a Henry Goldenboy....    I also have plenty of Bx25 and ruger 10 rounders.   And I have some ruger 1" rings for a scope....    The only thing I know is what hickok45 said on his video about them, but if anybody that has experience with them, i'd like to hear.....  what kind of accuracy are you getting at 100 yards, what kind of scopes do you have on yours?

Can't give a lot of detail because I haven't had the time to put many rounds through my American yet.  I liked it from when I first held one in the store and bought one a few weeks later. I'm currently using it with stock sights, no scope.

Nope, don't have a Ruger American but do have an early model 77/22 which I really like.

I just looked at the price of the 77/22 and my jaw dropped a little......    is it really worth that kind of money?     My brother in law has a Cz 452 military trainer...  it feels nice in the hand, and love the craftsmanship, but wasn't overly impressed with it's accuracy... of course we just shot some Remington Thunderbolt ammo.    I've liked the idea of the American since it came out, and with the 10/22 magazines, I just figure it will fit my niche quite nicely.   

I just looked at the price of the 77/22 and my jaw dropped a little...... is it really worth that kind of money? My brother in law has a Cz 452 military trainer... it feels nice in the hand, and love the craftsmanship, but wasn't overly impressed with it's accuracy... of course we just shot some Remington Thunderbolt ammo. I've liked the idea of the American since it came out, and with the 10/22 magazines, I just figure it will fit my niche quite nicely.

I haven't shot one but they certainly feel better in hand than anything with a synthetic stock. The 77/22 takes 10/22 mags as well.

Well my 77/22 was purchased a long time ago so I can't comment on todays prices but will say it has excellent balance and accuracy as well as a big rifle feel to it. What I felt the rifle did, as well as what its marketing alluded to, was provide me with a less expensive means of field rifle practice.

I've got one and it's a great little rifle. Like most Ruger rifles you need to work the bolt a bunch of times to smooth out the action, but it's a little tack driver.

I haven't shot it out to 100 yds, but I regularly use it to plink spent 9mm casings from 25 yds... it's as accurate as I'm capable of being at that distance.

I had a RAR with a 1.75lb trigger, great rifle and shot as well as any of the 4 or 5 CZ's I used to have.  Heck, shot as well as any bolt .22 I had.  Traded it to a young guy who can't shoot worth a spit and now with the RAR he is stoked that he can shoot something akin to a group. After all the plinkers I have had over the years I would put the RAR at near the top of the list in terms or reliability and accuracy.  I wouldn't bother spending more than what an RAR costs until you want to jump up to an Anschutz.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I wanted the Ruger American Rimfire is because I already had a 

Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm scope that wasn't attached to anything, had the sling, and rings, and swivels... just needed the rifle.  Plus it's the 4th of July so had to get something American right..    Weather pending, I'll post some groups for you in a couple days, my backyard range only goes to 60 yards, but maybe I can convince the neighbors to let me stretch it out to 100

ay71FDS.jpg