USA Women Wins World Cup Semi Final!

It feels too soon for us to care about soccer again.  The women's tourney is on a different schedule than the men's I assume?

Yeah.

I don't follow soccer, just happened to see a blurb about it, watched second half.

If I watch the final Sunday, that means I see maybe 4 hours of soccer every 4 years -- which is actually more than I see of baseball, football, and basketball all combined.

- OS

I remember during the World Cup in 2010, I was living in Kuwait and a buddy was coming out of Iraq to go on leave and crashing at my apartment.  We went out to eat and our waiter made conversation by saying that the US team had a great game that day, and we were like "huh?"  After he told us it was World Cup and looked at us like we were the weird ones, we just shrugged and said "that's how we know we're American's," even in a foreign country we couldn't give a crap about soccer.

• Like 1
I believe the more miserable the country, the more the people go for soccer.

It's the only patriotic thing going and people need to have something to look forward to. It's why America has been getting in to it more.

I am firm in this belief and am disgusted we have become so miserable!

I believe the more miserable the country, the more the people go for soccer.

Ehh, I've been in plenty of "happy" countries overseas where soccer is a big deal.  It's just the sport that took root overseas.  With distances between countries being small, regional competition isn't that big a deal logistics wise, time zones aren't a major factor, and there is too much money to be made putting on the games.

Happy countries? Please name some.
I was in Germany when they made it to the World Cup and of course they went nuts.

Next day, everyone was back to trudging through life without their smiles. For them the reality of extreme energy costs, high taxes, food and transportation costs along with excessive migration into their land makes for a miserable day to day life.

I consider Germany a Happier country then
Most over there. Edited by Still Ugly
I am pumped for the final and glad we got that incredible second goal last night to quiet any complaining about the PK call with the first goal.

I was honestly disappointed with the play of Alex Morgan last night. She couldn't finish at all! No doubt Germany's goalie is excellent, but she blew two major opportunities in the first half that I think should have been goals.

I'm interested to see who moves on after tonight's game. Haven't decided if I want to see a rematch from the 2011 final or to see us thump on England. My guess is USA vs Japan in the final again.
  • Like 1

Wow, no reaction at all here...

That midfield goal was something else -- check out the Spanish commentator's call from the Telemundo coverage (second vid down):

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/05/carli-lloyd-goal-telemundo-call-andres-cantor-video

- OS

Haha, hilarious call, I hadn't heard that.

I didn't know this thread existed, but I found it a pretty impressive feat by our women, who were lacking offensive prowess early in the tourney.

I live and breathe professional soccer. I wouldn't miss it for the world. What time do they play the women's finals tonight?

Almost too subtle, dang near bit. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Haha, hilarious call, I hadn't heard that.

I didn't know this thread existed, but I found it a pretty impressive feat by our women, who were lacking offensive prowess early in the tourney.

That was epic. 

What I can't figure out is why Japan has a male goalkeeper. I didn't realize it was coed.. 

_83977892_afp_getty_japan_keeper_x.jpg