Carrying into someone's home?

Would you carry your concealed firearm into someone else's home without first informing them that you are armed? 

That's the question I found myself facing. Normally, if I leave the house I am armed. Just my particular habit. In this case, my girlfriend has been invited to her friend's house this weekend for a 4th of July party. I've never met these people, but they are her friends, she has mentioned me to them and they specifically requested that I come so that they can meet me. Ok, I'm cool with that. I want to meet her friends as well.

But this brought up the question of what to do about my carry gun? After giving it some thought, I decided that given the fact that I don't actually know these people, I have no idea how many people will be there and given that it is a party and alcohol may be served, that both common sense and common courtesy dictate that the best course of action would be to just leave my gun locked in the car. 

However, just out of curiosity, I asked this question on another forum I belong to just to see how others might handle this situation. Much to my surprise, more than half of the responses were to carry anyway and don't talk about it. Really? Did I miss something here?

So, again out of curiosity, I wondered what my fellow Tennesseans might think about this. So what are your opinions on the matter?

One more thing: several of the responses said that in their state there is a law which requires HCP holders to inform a homeowner that they are armed before entering their property. I've never heard of such a law here, but do we have anything like that?

I would be drinking, so I would be leaving the gun at home. That is just me.

If you don't drink, I would say carry if you want to carry. If they ask you not to ( if they were to happen to see it), take it to the car. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 6

After giving it some thought, I decided that given the fact that I don't actually know these people, I have no idea how many people will be there and given that it is a party and alcohol may be served, that both common sense and common courtesy dictate that the best course of action would be to just leave my gun locked in the car. 

I think you have already answered your question. Only I would leave it at home if you plan on drinking.  Just my :2cents:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 2

If you have your handgun concealed and you have a handgun carry permit, I would just carry.  It's not like you are laying your handgun somewhere unattended when the handgun is concealed on your person.  No one should know except you.  I wouldn't tell others about it and I wouldn't ask for permission.

Would you ask them first if carrying a pocket knife into their house was OK?

Would you ask first if carrying a handkerchief into their house was OK?

Would you ask first if carrying a multi tool into their house was OK?

Would you ask first  if carrying your cell phone into their house was OK?

Would you ask first if carrying your wallet into their house was OK?

Would you ask first if carrying a Tourniquet into their house was OK?

The gun is no different than any of the other EDC items I carry around in everyday life. The gun would only ever even be an issue if you pulled it out, or if you told them about it........You are not there to commit crime so the fact that you have it has no effect on other people...unless you need to use it to defend yourself (and them) from a home invasion that happens while you are there.....in that case they'll probably be glad you had it.....

Having said that.....If you plan to be drinking then leaving it in the car would be the best course of action. 

• Like 6
Carry on unless you plan on becoming intoxicated and having impaired judgement. It's what I would do in your situation and have done in similar situations in the past. most of the people I have met and later found out I carry either so do they or they are glad I carry or are indifferent to it even though they don't.

I would make sure it stays concealed regardless though
Sounds like you've answered your question correctly.

Best of my knowledge, the law does not require that you inform the property owner. However, if the property owner asks that you not bring it and you do anyway, that is a violation.

I'm sure your girlfriend knows you carry. I would ask her about her friends and if she has ever heard any of their feeling about firearms. The homeowner may also be a pro gun person themselves. After learning all I could I would then make a decision. I don't drink alcohol  so that would not be an issue on my part..............just my :2cents:

Just for the record, I gave up alcohol more than 35 years ago. So I won't be drinking. 

My question is more aimed at the fact that this is their home. They make the rules here. Its not so much about what is legal, but rather what simple good manners should be.

• Like 2

Just for the record, I gave up alcohol more than 35 years ago. So I won't be drinking. 

My question is more aimed at the fact that this is their home. They make the rules here. Its not so much about what is legal, but rather what simple good manners should be.

A significant part of good manners is tactful discreetness. :)

- OS

• Like 7
Carrying into someone’s home is a whole bunch different than carrying into their home while they are having a party where people are drinking. I wouldn’t do it. If you don’t feel comfortable; set up another time to meet her friends.

Tennessee doesn’t require you to notify a homeowner, but some state do, one of the states to the South of us comes to mind.

The murder statutes are 100% reciprocal....If you get killed somewhere that does not allow guns , you'll still be dead in all the places that do allow guns....

If you find yourself somewhere that it is "good manners" to disarm and you get killed there because something unforeseen happened and you are killed by someone who is  not quite so good mannered while you were disarmed you are still dead everywhere else too.....

If it were me (which it isn't) I'd carry and skip the beer. Anyone asks why I'm not drinking I deflect that by telling 'em I'm taking antibiotics for something.  

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 1

Good for you. That should be a concern of most people; but it isn't.
  • Like 4

Unless I plan on drinking, I have and continue to carry in people's homes. Concealed means concealed.

For me its not so much as I think I need the gun in my friends home (I try not to associate with folks like that) so much as I can't control what happens during the car ride over, and my gun is at a higher risk of being stolen if its left in my car.

• Like 1

I'd carry and keep it quiet, especially since you won't be drinking.

TN has no law requiring you to inform the homeowner.

However, if the property owner asks that you not bring it and you do anyway, that is a violation.

Not exactly. You're still not violating any laws by bringing your gun when asked not to. If you're asked to leave (for any reason) and don't, then it's trespassing.

If you aren't drinking, then I'd definitely carry.  You are following the law and have your handgun carry permit when you carry at their house.  No one will know except you unless you tell people.  The handgun will be securely concealed on you and not in a bag where someone can get it.  I believe that unless someone is a real close friend or close family, it is not worth others knowing if you carry or when you carry.  Think about it this way, would you ask every property/business/church that you visit for permission to carry and let the property owner know that you are carrying?  I sure don't.

• Like 1

Maybe I am just an inconsiderate jerk but I completely fail to see how carrying a handgun that the home owner will never know about (unless you have to use it in which case there are more pressing matters than hurt feelings to deal with) is being discourteous.  Sure, if you were carrying your 'barbecue gun' in a very visible manner and flaunting the fact that your were carrying to anyone who would listen even though the home owners may not like it then that is being discourteous. 

I tend to view the issue along the same lines as Cruel Hand Luke.  Further, to use a current issue, I would think of it this way:

If I had a Confederate Battle Flag picture as the background/wallpaper on my cellphone I wouldn't ask if the homeowners were offended by the flag before I carried my cellphone in their home nor would I change the background out of fear of being 'discourteous' because there would be no reason for anyone there to know about it.  I wouldn't be drinking because of current health issues.  Even without those issues, however, I probably wouldn't drink because I have never felt comfortable drinking at get togethers comprised mostly of people I don't know - and that was true long before I started carrying.

• Like 2
I carry into homes all the time. I don't think about it. If they see it and don't want it/me in their home that's fine but they gotta be the ones to say so.

I've only been asked once not to carry, and it was because the man's workers were not legal and were afraid I was ice or something.

Oh, and I only drink at home. And no I don't disarm before having a glass of wine. Edited by dralarms

People carry into my home all the time, I have no problem with it as we entertain often. Since we have a pool and a bar and most people don't swim or drink with their weapon I often politely offer to lock any up that need to be stored while we all swim/drink/hang out, that alleviates any fears of the guns getting into the wrong hands.(typically I worry about other friends small children playing around the pool finding a pistol wrapped up in a towel or something) Some friends also leave them in the car which is fine as well.

As for carrying into other people's homes where I go, so goes the pistol typically(well concealed). I've only revealed I was carrying once and that was so I could secure the pistol and enjoy some extremely fine whiskey that was offered. I wouldn't have revealed to anyone who didn't already know that I carry, but this is a friend who knows me well and has allowed me to come hunt with him on his land so there is a strong mutual trust there anyway.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
I'm a retired 30 year cop. Don't try to come in my house armed if I don't know you. Period. If you're with a trusted friend of mine, we'll discuss it. Just don't let me discover you in my house armed without my knowing about it beforehand. Edited by EssOne
  • Like 1