Military Handgun contract?

this is always a big deal, for a gun that is virtually never even used.  Who cares what the army carries for a pistol?  They shoot rifles.

I have a 1911.  Its big, low capacity, heavy, and generally the most miserable thing I could think of to carry (sweet on the range, sure, but to carry it??). 

I have a beretta 92 as well.  Its fat, big and clunky, has a terrible trigger, and is a close second to "who would want to lug this around".  Someone with small hands would hate it,  and its only saving grace is the light weight.

I predict the next one will be right on up there with the others.. big, uncomfortable, and generally meh.

Edited by Jonnin

Highly doubt we'll switch. No one can really make up their minds on what the hell they want to carry.

CAG uses 1911s still...well, those SMU Boys do what they want.

MARSOC went with....Glock :/

Out with 7th SFG we used the M11 (Sig P226) so did the Navy EOD cats.

The only people who ever get M9s are First Sergeants, Commanders and anyone who brown noses our armorers.

If it is to the point I am down to my pistol...well put a fork in me

None of the three look very appealing but if I were a betting man I'd lean towards the Beretta being selected. Beretta USA has an awful lot of political clout, most likely enough to make a difference. And as to the Beretta looking like a Walther, well just what was the M92 based off of?

I say you're right.  I've been hearing "new pistol" for how many years now?  As has been said, the rifle is where it's at.  Never been a soldier, don't know anything about being a soldier, but I'd hate to fight an enemy that is hellbent on killing me with a dang handgun.

The military needs a quality pistol.  While the M9 has its flaws, it works when you take care of it properly and is a very low maintenance pistol in a field environment, which is a big deal with Army equipment.  There would be a guy I served with who might not have survived this day had it been otherwise.  Wheelgunner can confirm this or fill in any gaps since it's been almost 10 years.  He was at the same base if memory serves.

25 December 2005
SPC Steven Clark (B/2BSTB) was awarded the Bronze Star Medal with Valor for actions in combat. After Christmas lunch, SPC Clark, a member of THT 590, was approached by an Iraqi National hired as an interpreter at the FOB. The interpreter asked SPC Clark if a weapons permit was available for him. SPC Clark told him that he would check and the two walked to the THT building.  SPC Clark told the interpreter to wait outside but after unlocking the door the interpreter pointed a 9mm handgun into SPC Clark’s back and told him to enter the building.

After entering, the interpreter demanded the names of captured personnel and the names of informants. SPC Clark pointed to a laptop computer behind the gunman and said what he wanted was on the computer. The gunman turned his back to SPC Clark. At this point, SPC Clark pulled an M9 concealed in his back belt line. At the same time, the gunman wheeled around and both men opened fire. SPC Clark was struck once in the left chest and dropped to one knee. The insurgent was shot multiple times in the chest and abdomen but was killed by two well placed headshots. SPC Clark’s life was saved by following Army Regulations and Doctrine by keeping his Ft Campbell Blue Book and Military Intelligence Badge in his left breast pocket. The 9mm round that struck SPC Clark was slowed by his Blue Book and stopped by his brass badge in its leather case.
(btq's note:  the "blue book" didn't slow a damn thing, it was all his badge (Clark was a CI agent) that's just the Army being the Army in propaganda...the rest is true)
Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

this is always a big deal, for a gun that is virtually never even used.  Who cares what the army carries for a pistol?  They shoot rifles.....

If you'd ever worn a uniform then you might understand why it's important what the Army carries for a pistol.  Some soldiers carry a pistol in the performance of their duties.

• Like 1
Well, I wondered if this contract was such a big deal why someone didn’t sit down with the shot callers and build what they want. It appears Smith & Wesson and General Dynamics is doing just that.

“Produced in-house by the Army.”?? That sounds laughable and very expensive for the tax payers. Does that mean the Army would attempt to produce a manufacturing facility to make these? Or are they planning on someone like ATK (that already runs Lake City) to do it?

The only one that would need something like that would be STI-Detonics that doesn’t have the capabilities to fulfill a contract like this on their own. Any of the others I’m sure could do it much more cost effectively than the government. We don’t need more government jobs or creating facilities that aren’t needed.

I hope the American companies produce what is required. It would be a crime (and should be) for this manufacturing contract to go to a foreign company.

............................................................And as to the Beretta looking like a Walther, well just what was the M92 based off of?

Glad somebody else noticed that. Same with the Smith and Wesson autos from 1950 'till the plastics came out.

Highly doubt we'll switch. No one can really make up their minds on what the hell they want to carry.

CAG uses 1911s still...well, those SMU Boys do what they want.

MARSOC went with....Glock :/

Out with 7th SFG we used the M11 (Sig P226) so did the Navy EOD cats.

The only people who ever get M9s are First Sergeants, Commanders and anyone who brown noses our armorers.

If it is to the point I am down to my pistol...well put a fork in me

Your last sentence is the reason the Army has a half-assed pistol as a general issue sidearm.  Too many decision makers feel the same.  My contention is that pistol better be the most reliable, accurate one money can buy, because usually if you have to draw it, your ass depends on it.  But if you all want to quit, well it's your life.  Me, I'll take that fork out of you and start using it as a weapon after I run out of ammo for my primary and secondary.

Edited by ARO Matt

this is always a big deal, for a gun that is virtually never even used.  Who cares what the army carries for a pistol?  They shoot rifles.

I have a 1911.  Its big, low capacity, heavy, and generally the most miserable thing I could think of to carry (sweet on the range, sure, but to carry it??). 

I have a beretta 92 as well.  Its fat, big and clunky, has a terrible trigger, and is a close second to "who would want to lug this around".  Someone with small hands would hate it,  and its only saving grace is the light weight.

I predict the next one will be right on up there with the others.. big, uncomfortable, and generally meh.

As I stated in another post, a gun that is virtually never used, but when it is someone's life is counting on it.  A lot of people care what the sidearm is, particularly those who actually carry and use one regularly.  Although most of those guys don't carry M9s, some do.  A rifle is a primary, yes.  But a pistol is the secondary and is a necessary tool.  And it better work when it's pulled.  The issue in all of this is there are decision makers who decide what is the best pistol, and what features are necessary, who don't use them anyway, and who couldn't hit a target if they did.