Not safe to move a propane tank?

So I'm going through the moving checklist that was given to us by our mortgage lender and one of the items says to drain all outdoor equipment including propane tank from BBQ grill.

Obviously I understand it's flammable but is this really necessary? It will be going in the back of the rental truck and I'll secure it so that it won't roll around.

We're thrilled to be moving back to TN in just 8 days!

• Like 3
It is a bomb in a firey crash...even "empty" there would still be some residual fumes that could go boom...but thousands of people transport propane cylinders in trunks, trailers and trucks for camping all the time...unless you need a new one, strap it down and proceed safely.

It is a bomb in a firey crash...even "empty" there would still be some residual fumes that could go boom...but thousands of people transport propane cylinders in trunks, trailers and trucks for camping all the time...unless you need a new one, strap it down and proceed safely.

Makes sense thanks.

That! On your way back look at all the campers. They all have full tanks heading to some camp ground. 

• Like 1
I think the boy has seen the light, and is headed back to the hills of Tn. Knoxville area would be a good choice. Be sure to wash off all that Florida crap before you get back.
  • Like 1

They're empty when I go to have them filled, but full on the trip back home. How would you get one filled if you didn't transport it while not empty? That makes no sense.

You're right. I realized that earlier after the first person replied and instantly knew I'd asked a stupid question.   :shake:

I was smart enough to empty all my gas cans though.  :up:

R/V's generally carry their propane tanks on the trailers tongue or an under carriage storage locker and those I've studied were grounded. Point A to Point B short transports for purposes of cylinder exchange are limited duration risks. Moving a propane tank in the back of a rental moving truck is a bad ideal and I recommend against it. Turn it in, get your tank refund back and pick up another tank when you get moved in. Think along these lines: If the tank lights off and no ones injured or killed you'll still lose everything in the truck. You might also be held liable for damages by having the propane tank in the moving truck to begin with.     

• Like 1

Ya really don't want liquid gas in a moving van/truck but a propane tank while a risk is not going to cause an issue. How many are kept in a garage a mere doorway from your home.... Now keep in mind that a moving service may very well refuse mowers and propane tanks; I know 2 Men and a Truck would not take such items. I packed them in my open air trailer. They will not even take laundry soap etc. Nor will they knowingly move guns etc.... Made them boys laugh when they asked what was in the heavy ass safe... I said that it was none of their business and they said yes sir with a smile... We wrapped all security items in shrink wrap with my name signed in the wrapping as there is absolutely no way to get in without messing up the signature.

R/V's generally carry their propane tanks on the trailers tongue or an under carriage storage locker and those I've studied were grounded. Point A to Point B short transports for purposes of cylinder exchange are limited duration risks. Moving a propane tank in the back of a rental moving truck is a bad ideal and I recommend against it. Turn it in, get your tank refund back and pick up another tank when you get moved in. Think along these lines: If the tank lights off and no ones injured or killed you'll still lose everything in the truck. You might also be held liable for damages by having the propane tank in the moving truck to begin with.     

As far as I know, D.T. McCall's still has propane tanks mounted to the rear bumper of their furniture moving trucks. I always thought that looked spooky, but I don't recall them having any problems.

If you're really concerned, sell it or give it to a friend/ neighbor before the move. It has the potential to be a problem, but so does the fuel tank on the moving truck. The release/ paperwork was drawn up by an attorney somewhere and exists only to protect the truck company from liability. 

Lots of people have to haul propane every day. I used to carry two full tanks on the semi in case I had to load up a machine that was out of fuel, and my portable forge runs off of a 100 lb tank that has been hauled who knows how many miles. Farriers (the people that shoe horses) haul propane tanks in their trucks/ vans to run the shoeing forges as well. I carried a propane cutting torch in my last work truck. Heck, propane is delivered to my house in a big truck with a tank on the back and the grill tanks get to the stores loaded up in a semi trailer. 

Do whatever you're comfortable with, a grill tank really isn't worth a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things. However, I see no reason to leave it behind just because the lawyer that wants to protect the rental company said it would be a good idea. 

I traveled all over the USA while working construction some years back and pulled RV's all over. I never emptied the tanks on them. I never even heard anyone mention it in over 12 years of traveling. I'd just tie them down good and roll. Welcome home!!

Take it out to a field, and pop a 5.56 into it, tell us what happened.  :devil:   In a good weird way, I have always wanted to do that.  When I was a kid, I use to shoot spray paint cans, those were a blast with my ole 10 pump power master pellet rifle. 

Welcome back.  I do a lot of business travel, and there is no place like home.  I am not a fan of relocation due to work in other states.  Just wired that way. 

• Like 1
Check for leaks around the valve with dishwashing soap and water. Also check the date on the tank as some suppliers will not fill them after the expiration date. If in doubt, new tanks aren't expensive.

Welcome back the TN!
  • 2 weeks later...