Threading "hunting" bolt actions advice

I have two current rifles that I have had for over 20 years.  They are Remington model 700's in .243 and 7mm mag.  They have wood stock and blued barrels.  Your normal hunting rifles.  They have been hunting a lot, so they have normal wear and marks from years of hunting.  I like to call it character.  Both are very accurate and great shooters. 

Now that you have a little history, I have considered getting them threaded so I can shoot them with my 30 cal can to make both of them hearing safe, but have some apprehensions.  

1.  Possibility of them being threaded affecting accuracy.  (poor workmanship, or just a new change to the barrel that doesn't jive.)

2.  Concern of taper barrels and a 30 cal can hanging off the end affecting harmonics and accuracy.

3.  Additional cost of barrel thread and QD mounts truly worth it?

4.  While these guns are nostalgic to me, will I end up shooting them more than my AR's 300 blackout?

I don't shoot these guns anymore mainly because it's just nice to hunt with my blackout and be hearing safe, but I like the extended range these would offer.  

So, does anyone have any experience have "non" tactical rifles threaded and can offer any advice?  

Thanks in advance.  

• Like 1

If these guns are nostalgic to you, I would not modify them in anyway that is destructive, and if this matters, the value of these guns will erode considerably.  But on the other hand, if these are merely tools to get the job done, and you have no desire to buy a threaded barrel gun instead, then do to them as you wish.  Based upon on the other post, not sure you have accomplished the goal of safe hearing. 

My take by just asking the question, you have apprehension in the first place. 

All I can add to this is the fact that with hunting ammunition, neither .243, nor 7mm mag will be hearing safe. No doubt quieter than without a suppressor but not hearing safe.

That's true, but for hunting purpose, one or two shots without hearing protection is much more manageable, and safe to me.  I wear hearing protection when I'm not hunting with my can on.  

For what it's worth, my .30 cal can on a 308 Ruger scout rifle is hearing safe all day long to me.  I don't have a dB meter, but it is pretty quiet.  Not sure about the .243 and I would very much doubt the 7mm mag.  My 300 WSM is not hearing safe with just the can, but like you said for a few shots it is better.  You are wise to keep using ear pro at the range.  I would modify the rifle, shoot it for many more years and be happy with what you have.

I threaded my 7mm-08 that I've hunted with and was my go to rifle which sounds like these are for you. I regretted it and ended up buying another of the same rifle which will be my rifle I never sell. Maybe I'm OCD or something but having the exposed threads, or different color thread protector and constantly having to adjust the scope for suppressed or super sonic made the gun feel more like a toy then something I can grab and know it's going to work.  

There is something special about a deer rifle and it's something that you can pass on.  For me, I'm leaving all the gimmicks and toys to the AR's 

You can pass on your NFA items and it is free. You do not need to have a trust either. NFA items registered to an individual can be legally transferred but he hier must pass a background. With a trust there is no background, at least not yet, so all you have to have is seccessive trustee listed in the trust.

Have you thought about getting some quality electronic hearing protection to wear for hunting?  That may serve you better than threading your hunting rifle barrels and you can also use the electronic hearing protection when hunting say ducks or turkeys with a shotgun.  Some of the good in the ear electronic ear plugs probably are in the same price range as a suppressor and the tax stamp.

Edited by 300winmag
I have some nice electronic muffs, and they may help keep my ears warm during some hunting trips. I just like to go without them when I can.

I think I'm just going to keep the rifles as is, and either hunt with my Blackouts, or save a little money and buy a Ruger Predator in the 6.5 Creedmoor.