Illinois, anyone seen this?

I know of nowhere in IL law where this is stated?

- OS

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf   page 3

Well, thanks, that is interesting:

"Can I keep a firearm in my hotel room when I travel?
Yes, assuming no local ordinance applies. The critical question is how the firearm was carried into the room and
transported in a vehicle. Those actions must be done lawfully."

Interesting that this doc was made in 2010, before any of the law changes we're discussing, so hopefully this includes out of state folks too, and not just residents with a FOID card. Didn't see anything in included state code to support it, but didn't read it uber carefully either; certainly the word "hotel" ain't in it anywhere though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I know of nowhere in IL law where this is stated?

- OS

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf   page 3

no good without ammo. Non-residents cannot have FOID.

How can I legally transport ammunition?

Illinois law requires that residents possessing ammunition must have a valid FOID card. To transport an

unloaded, uncased firearm with ammunition immediately accessible is a Class 4 Felony.

The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded magazines, is

not regulated as long as the firearm is unloaded and encased, and the resident possessing the firearm holds a

valid FOID card.

OK, then... visitors or traveling through..... 

IF A NON-RESIDENT IS VISITING ILLINOIS,

HUNTING, OR TRAVELING THROUGH WITH

A FIREARM, HOW DO THEY LEGALLY

TRANSPORT IT?

Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess

or acquire fi rearms and ammunition. Non residents

are not required to have an Illinois FOID Card. It is

recommended that in order to be in compliance with all

statutes, non-residents transport all fi rearms:

1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or

2. not immediately accessible; or

3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, fi rearm carrying

box, shipping box, or other container.

Edited by R_Bert

Interesting that this doc was made in 2010, before any of the law changes we're discussing, so hopefully this includes out of state folks too, and not just residents with a FOID card. Didn't see anything in included state code to support it, but didn't read it uber carefully either; certainly the word "hotel" ain't in it anywhere though.

- OS

http://www.dewittsheriff.com/uploads/useruploads/files/whow_april_2013_transport_gun.pdf

Didn't realize it was so dated... Here is some more current fodder...

But, it is all meaningless -

HOW DO I TRANSPORT A FIREARM

THROUGH AN ILLINOIS COMMUNITY WITH AN

ORDINANCE THAT PROHIBITS FIREARMS OR

HANDGUNS?

Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not

preempt local ordinances from banning fi rearms.

Persons carrying or transporting fi rearms through

such communities could be subject to local fi rearm

ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local

authorities regarding their fi rearm ordinances.

HANDGUNS?

Yes it's all very convoluted to say the least but it is at least possable....

Yes it's all very convoluted to say the least but it is at least possable....

living here (as a non-resident), I find it not hopeful.  I have not found one official giving hope for non-residents like us from TN.  Indeed, it is why A. Gura and SAF has a lawsuit against this third-world place.  Sadly, it is not limited to firearms, although alcohol is very much encouraged (just like other totalitarian states. It numbs the senses of the inmates).

Edited by R_Bert

no good without ammo. Non-residents cannot have FOID.

How can I legally transport ammunition?

Illinois law requires that residents possessing ammunition must have a valid FOID card. To transport an

unloaded, uncased firearm with ammunition immediately accessible is a Class 4 Felony.

The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded magazines, is

not regulated as long as the firearm is unloaded and encased, and the resident possessing the firearm holds a

valid FOID card.

Old FAQ from somewhere. Does not apply to out of state residents with a permit from their home state, nor obviously to IL handgun carry permit holders.

HANDGUNS?

Law regarding both transportation, possession, and carry of handguns and ammo under the new Firearm Concealed Carry Act is state preempted. The exception for non-residents with permits from their home states to possess such in vehicle is part of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Entire Act, see Preemption section

http://ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/098-0063.htm

Summary by ILL Bar Association from:

https://www.isba.org/ibj/2013/12/thenewillinoisconcealedcarrylaw

"Preempting local regulation

Preempting local firearms restrictions and the extent of control retained by home rule units was a focal point of legislative negotiations. As a result, the state preempts most firearms regulation but does allow home rule units to enact more restrictive ordinances in limited areas.

The new law completely preempts local concealed carry laws and the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns and their ammunition as applied to concealed carry licensees and FOID card holders.18 Any local entity's attempt to regulate these areas will be voided.

The Act also chips away at local control over firearms issues that are not directly related to concealed carry. The state now has exclusive authority to regulate transportation of any firearm or ammunition by FOID card holders. The state now has exclusive authority to regulate transporation of any firearm or ammunition by FOID card holders, even if they do not have a CCL.19 Thus, local entities can no longer regulate transportation of any firearm.

Also, the state has exclusive authority to regulate possession and ownership of assault weapons.20 Local ordinances regulating assault weapons enacted before July 19, 2013 remain valid and may be amended in the future. But entities that did not pass ordinances before that date are preempted from regulating assault weapons.

So to what extent do local entities retain control? The new preemption does not mention taxation and, therefore, home rule units retain authority to tax firearms. They can also regulate: (1) individuals who do not possess a valid FOID card or CCL; (2) firearms other than handguns; and (3) matters related to the sale, purchase, and storage of all firearms.21

For example, a city may maintain a database of those who have been convicted of firearms offenses. Also, a home rule unit can enact zoning ordinances affecting where a firearms dealer's business may be located.

Clearly, though, the state now has exclusive control over a majority of issues related to firearms and local units retain little room to exceed the state's restrictions."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That's regarding non IL residents getting an IL carry license, not what we are discussing at all.

- OS

not since post #17, and about every reply I have made as a non-resident in this hell-hole up here.

Edited by R_Bert

not since post #17, and about every reply I have made as a non-resident in this hell-hole up here.

Thread started about out of state residents carrying their heaters in vehicle, then in hotel added.

Seems you contesting either is legal is the main divergence. ;)

- OS

Illinois Public Act 99-0029 effective 7-10-2015 made changes to Section 65b and a person with a concealed carry permit from their "Home" state does not have to unload the weapon inside the vehicle to store the weapon in the trunk.  Handgunlaw.us has the latest changes.   This section also defines the "case" needed to store weapon. 

I try not to spend any money in Illinois even though I live within 25 miles of SE portion and have friends and relatives there.  Things are better having to cross the Ohio River bridge but with the Route 60 (Mississippi River) closed until January 2016 driving thru Cairo for me is not pleasant.  A couple of weeks ago coming back from Nashville, Tn Cairo police had 2 cars running radar on our drive thru town.  Obey the 30 MPH speed limit thru Cairo.... :(

"except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, "

Most places treat a hotel room as a temporary dwelling/home.  I would say as long as you unload the gun in your car and then transport the gun unloaded from your car to your hotel, and load it again in the hotel room, you would be following the law in that state.

It was my understanding that you can bring a handgun to any city in Illinois now, including Chicago, but some long guns may not be pre empted. 

"except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, "

Most places treat a hotel room as a temporary dwelling/home.  I would say as long as you unload the gun in your car and then transport the gun unloaded from your car to your hotel, and load it again in the hotel room, you would be following the law in that state.

It was my understanding that you can bring a handgun to any city in Illinois now, including Chicago, but some long guns may not be pre empted. 

To this I will add that I HAVE several times flown out of and into O'Hare with a handgun... They never so much as bat an eye...

I dropped by the Chicadishu Bass Pro just a few minutes ago.  They have plenty of ammo. All I did was depress myself. 

If you think Wallyworld has booze, you should see Shop & Save.  And they have about 5x the grilling meat.  It's incredible.  (and, like a gat, I don't have a grill up here either, but I will bring a cooler of meat back to TN next trip down.)

The booze in Grocery stores is the highlight of Illinois. I went to a few stores last time I was up there and everyone had tons of ammo. Gander was stocked with rifles and ammo. EBR'S were really expensive as was the ammo at Gander.

Booze keeps duh masses sedate up here.  As for the "great outdoor" stores,  I plan on depressing myself at Gander in a few weeks.  It and ChicaBassProDishu are pretty much useless visits to a Tennessee boy, but I pass by them several times a week (H4198 was ~$35/lb, BTW - I have no idea if I can buy it here).  At least the food at BP is the same as in TN.  Not a bad salmon salad, actually, and a decent aquarium. (overall, the store is much smaller than Kodak)