Finding property

I feel kind of dumb for needing to ask, but I have been looking around for a secluded piece of property that I could use to build small rustic cabin for a getaway as well as a possible bugout shelter if living in the big city becomes too perilous. It seems that every square foot of land in the state of Tennessee has been purchased and put on the market in subdivisions with restrictions. Is there a trick to finding the property out there that isn't designated for a gated community?

Like anything else,  you can find it, if you are willing to pay for it...   or if you can get 2 hours away from a city in any direction, the real boonies, and find a seller.  If you have enough $$ to throw at it, youll find a seller.   Put up a WTB ad in the area that interests you.

I feel kind of dumb for needing to ask, but I have been looking around for a secluded piece of property that I could use to build small rustic cabin for a getaway as well as a possible bugout shelter if living in the big city becomes too perilous. It seems that every square foot of land in the state of Tennessee has been purchased and put on the market in subdivisions with restrictions. Is there a trick to finding the property out there that isn't designated for a gated community?

Keep in mind a lot of land is for sale by owner so it may not be found via any internet searches. I think you really need to just get out there and hit the back roads(as time allows). Yesterday we did a hike in Rhea County near Spring City. It was only 80 minutes from West Knoxville and it got really rural really fast. I've lived here most of my life and had never heard of Spring City until earlier this week when I found the hike. Yet it's only 60 miles from Knoxville.

Pull up google maps and start figuring out what area might make the most sense. As someone also mentioned earlier, Land Watch.org is a great website.

• Like 1

I don't know if Blount county is far enough away from the populace..?

Are you saying I'm popular?

Blount County covers a large area some of which is well over an hour drive from town. I just mentioned it cause that's where I live.

Edited by McGarrett

Are you saying I'm popular?

Blount County covers a large area some of which is well over an hour drive from town. I just mentioned it cause that's where I live.

There's plenty of "rural" areas. Blount county is quite large.

I'd also look at Monroe, Loudon, Anderson, Campbell, ... Basically any county without a major city. If you really want to be in the sticks, you're looking at 20 miles from any significant civilization.

If you are looking in Anderson County, keep in mind that the property taxes are quite high.  At one point, they were the highest in the state, due to all the land owned by DOE, which is not taxable.  S

Seems like at one time, there was a lot of cheap land along the rim of the Sequatchie Valley, starting around Spring City and going south down around Dunlap.  At least they used to advertise in the Knoxville paper on Sundays.  But you are buying land with a view and I don't know how steep some of it might be or how much water might be available.

That's another thing you need to be looking for.  Make sure you have a good water source on any property you buy.  And a well in my book isn't an adequate water source.  You have to have power to pump it to where you need it.

Tell a realtor what you're looking for and have them keep an eye out for you.

Also, if you find a particular piece of property you like, find out who owns it and go ask them if they'd have an interest in selling it. The worst that could happen would be them telling you "no". There's a lot of stuff that can be bought which doesn't have a for sale sign on it.

Edited by gregintenn

Tell a realtor what you're looking for and have them keep an eye out for you.

Also, if you find a particular piece of property you like, find out who owns it and go ask them if they'd have an interest in selling it. The worst that could happen would be them telling you "no". There's a lot of stuff that can be bought which doesn't have a for sale sign on it.

Good idea. I have 2 acres on the lake in Lenoir City. About once a year I get a letter from someone who has looked up the property at the courthouse and wants to know if I am interested in selling it. One day I will get a letter when I am in the mood to sell. It never hurts to ask.

If you are looking in Anderson County, keep in mind that the property taxes are quite high.  At one point, they were the highest in the state, due to all the land owned by DOE, which is not taxable.  S

Seems like at one time, there was a lot of cheap land along the rim of the Sequatchie Valley, starting around Spring City and going south down around Dunlap.  At least they used to advertise in the Knoxville paper on Sundays.  But you are buying land with a view and I don't know how steep some of it might be or how much water might be available.

That's another thing you need to be looking for.  Make sure you have a good water source on any property you buy.  And a well in my book isn't an adequate water source.  You have to have power to pump it to where you need it.

Should be cheaper land in the Sequatchie Valley then on the rim. Plus the river is in the valley.

• Like 1

Eventually you'll narrow your search down to a few counties.  At that point, consider getting a local realtor involved.  He'll be able to pull "comps" to help you make sure you don't overpay for your unimproved parcel.  He may be able to pull strings to get a survey done faster, too, to make sure the land percs for the cabin you want to build.

• Like 1
Up here, in Claiborne county, there's almost always cheap land. 23ac $20k I was just looking at.
If you are willing to look at virginia, the property taxes may be lower, and as it isn't your primary residence, you wouldn't be beholden to the virginia way of taxing everything you make, drive, and smell.
Good luck!

Ps. There are 3 farms near me that are on the cheaper side for sale, and if you don't want to work a farm, you could lease it out to partially cover the cost. Just a thought.
  • Like 1