Ambi-Safety on 1911's

• Authorized Vendor

So I have this Springfield 1911 A1 that's in pristine condition I acquired in trade for a couple of knives and was thinking of adding an ambi-safety since I'm a lefty. Yes I can operate it without it but it would be easier with one.

Anyway.....while researching I read that they are prone to failure since most have a weak link between both sides. Is that true? Additionally I see that some people have had the safety slip from safe to ready when holstering or removing it? Can anyone explain that?

Is this true with guns that come from the factory equipped with this option? I am finding it hard to believe that this is a major flaw in a gun that's been around forever. Am I wrong?

Then I see that Wilson Combat makes one they call "Bullet Proof". At $160 or whatever is this one really the best and all the others are crap? By buying one of these does it eliminate all the said problems of the rest?

Help an old man out if you can and give me some advise based on fact if you can. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand Torino I just did the opposite of you, I just switched from an ambi- safety to a single side Wide Bullet Proof Safety on my Springfield LW Operator. I only use Wilson Bullet Proof parts in all my 1911's they are worth the money. It's somewhat true that some fail because of a weak link that joins the two together but I have never seen or had one that failed. Yes it is true that some 1911 Manufactures add a ambi-safety to some models but sometimes you may need to order it as an option. ED Brown makes a good ambi-safety also and it's as good as the Wilson's, as far as the safety becoming disengaged while re-holstering it can happen but I've found that that only happens when your not paying attention when drawing from or re-holstering the weapon now that being said I have seen some that have been  poorly fit by someone who thought they new what they were doing when replacing them. It' not hard to do, but do yourself a favor and check out Wilson's You-Tube Channel there is a video on there that explains how to do so, believe me it's easy to mess up a $100+part(just ask me how I know). I've replaced every part on the LW Operator with Wilson Bullet Proof Parts my self (Sear,Disconector,Firing Pin Stop,Slide Release,Bullet Proof Hammer, and Strut, Extractor) I just finished up fitting a Wilson Flat Trigger to it this morning and getting ready to reassemble and function check everything before I try a live fire test to make sure everything is working properly. If you can build knives (and I know you can) you'll be fine fitting the ambi-safety, just read up a little and check out Wilson's You-Tube Channel, if you have any problems I would be glad to help you out just let me know, also remember to file a little and fit, file a little and fit until you have it right.

Yes an ambi-safety can be a problem and I had issues with the same on a couple of 1911's many years ago. Some of the problems are shooter induced such as the weak hand bumping an extended safety others can be due to a poor instillation or substandard parts. FWIW & IMHO make absolutely certain you are using the best possible parts with the best owner reviews. Then make certain you have selected the best possible gunsmith to do the instillation for you and that you've fully vetted said gunsmith. Run several hundred rounds through the pistol once the work is done from as many shooting positions and presentations as possible to make sure of the reliability and how it all works in your hands. Ensure that whatever holster carry rig you run is designed and intended to be used with a 1911 set up for an ambi-safety. Finally do I think an informed and experienced DIY type can do the ambi-safety installation? That depends because many times parts require a certain degree of fitting.

I'm left handed and have never had an issue.  More and more guns come with an ambi safety.

One of my .45s has an ambi safety that has a male and female joint that meets in the middle of the gun. That wouldn't be as strong as a straight piece of metal, though I've never had a problem.

I have a Browning Hi Power that doesn't have the joint and is a straight piece of steel.  The safety for left handers uses a little pin outside of the gun.  I would think that is just as strong as a non ambi.

I bought a Springer GI from a guy at work that had installed an ambi safety and a adjustable rear and tall front sight.  I'd like to ditch the ambi safety and trade out the sights for some good combat sights.  I'm not a fan of ambi safeties.