Need some input about Cataract Surgery???

I just got back from eye doctor and didn't get good news but was not unexpected. The new eye doctor was great, very thorough about his exam and explanations. He said it would be unfair for him to make glasses for me because of the cataracts I have on both eyes. His recommendation is for me to have my cataracts removed before getting new glasses. He said I won't believe the difference I will see just in the removal of them. He said the glasses I get after the removal will improve my vision almost 100%. Now my question to ya'll is has anyone here had cataracts removed recently and what was the outcome? My eye doctor has referred me to Loden Vision Center for the cataract surgery. Has anyone here ever use Loden Vision Center? Any information will be very much appreciated, Thanks  

I just got back from eye doctor and didn't get good news but was not unexpected. The new eye doctor was great, very thorough about his exam and explanations. He said it would be unfair for him to make glasses for me because of the cataracts I have on both eyes. His recommendation is for me to have my cataracts removed before getting new glasses. He said I won't believe the difference I will see just in the removal of them. He said the glasses I get after the removal will improve my vision almost 100%. Now my question to ya'll is has anyone here had cataracts removed recently and what was the outcome? My eye doctor has referred me to Loden Vision Center for the cataract surgery. Has anyone here ever use Loden Vision Center? Any information will be very much appreciated, Thanks  

My wife just had cataract surgery in both eyes last fall. She is completely happy with the outcome. She needs reading glasses only for small print, and she sees just fine at night now. Don't waste your time with the high-dollar multi-focal lenses because they rarely are worth the money you have to spend to get them, and some hate them bad enough to wish they'd never gotten them to begin with. There's a lot of prescription drops that you have to do before and after the surgery.

My wife just had cataract surgery in both eyes last fall. She is completely happy with the outcome. She needs reading glasses only for small print, and she sees just fine at night now. Don't waste your time with the high-dollar multi-focal lenses because they rarely are worth the money you have to spend to get them, and some hate them bad enough to wish they'd never gotten them to begin with. There's a lot of prescription drops that you have to do before and after the surgery.

I have no plans of any type of fancy lenses. Just basic cataract surgery and new glasses. My question to you is was your wife's surgery done with lazer surgery?

My daughter had cataracts removed from both of get eyes last year and it went very well for her, even being 4 years old at the time. Loden did my LASIK back in 2005 and did a great job. Dr. Morrison at the Vanderbilt Eye Institute did my daughter's and we were very happy with him. Morrison may only do pediatrics, I'm not sure but if I were told that I needed cataract surgery he would be the first call that I made. Edited by 10-Ring

The Doctor's going to offer you two different choices on an unavoidable optical lens implant withe the premium choice being quite a lot more expensive. My spouse had undergone a LASIK procedure many years prior to her cataracts being diagnosed so she recognized the degraded vision she was experiencing. At her Doctors recommendation she went with the more expensive lens implants and afterwards complained her vision wasn't a whole lot better. I just remember it was super expensive even with vision insurance.

I guess my main question is do they use a lazer to remove them these days or do they still use a scalpel. My mother had an attempt to remove one of her cataracts about 10 years ago with the doctor using a scalpel and she hemorrhaged and was blind in her right eye from it and I also have high BP that is under control but don't want to end up like my Mother did. 

I guess my main question is do they use a lazer to remove them these days or do they still use a scalpel. ..

Neither. Main procedure is to destroy the lens with tiny ultrasound gizmo and suck the pieces out.

There seems to be some sort of laser "guided" assist that some use, but the laser doesn't do the surgery.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have no plans of any type of fancy lenses. Just basic cataract surgery and new glasses. My question to you is was your wife's surgery done with lazer surgery?

Yes. The LASER is used to cut into the eye. Don't get too wrapped up in the LASER part. It's just used to make a precise and clean cut in the side of the eye that heals quicker with less problems. They use ultrasound to break-up the lens of the eye, and then suction the pieces out. They then insert the replacement lense. It only takes 15 or so minutes when they get rolling.

Edited by SWJewellTN

Yes. The LASER is used to cut into the eye. Don't get too wrapped up in the LASER part. It's just used to make a precise and clean cut in the side of the eye that heals quicker with less problems. They use ultrasound to break-up the lens of the eye, and then suction the pieces out. They then insert the replacement lense. It only takes 15 or so minutes when they get rolling.

Gosh, you make it sound like a cake walk........... :stunned: Maybe I am putting to much into it but I just don't know how much more my old body can take before it says enough is enough. My eye doctor recommended Loden Eye Vision to do the work as he said he has used them many times for his patients with a very positive results. I have one of those offices about 1/2 mile from my home.

I would also check out Dr. Ming Wang.  He is the best laser eye surgeon in Tennessee, perhaps the entire country.  He fixes other doctor's mistakes.  You only get one set of eyes.

http://wangvisioninstitute.com/

No he's not. He screwed up my LASIK twice. I now have 20/25 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right eye after the second procedure. I gag every time I see his "precision" commercial. He strung me along until the 1 year statute of limitations ran out and then dropped me like a hot potato!

Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Like 1

Gosh, you make it sound like a cake walk........... :stunned: Maybe I am putting to much into it but I just don't know how much more my old body can take before it says enough is enough. My eye doctor recommended Loden Eye Vision to do the work as he said he has used them many times for his patients with a very positive results. I have one of those offices about 1/2 mile from my home.

It pretty much so is now days. The irritating part of my wife's experience was following the eye drops protocol and waiting between the two eye surgeries, (they only do one at a time). It's not all that stressful, but my wife's doctor gave her Valium to relax her, (she couldn't even handle putting in contacts if she had to), and they only use local anesthetic, (numbing drops), in the eye.

Well over the years as a mechanic there was several times I had to go to an eye doctor to get a piece or two of metal out of my eye and a couple times they actually had to scrape it off my eye with a needle so I can deal with the numbing drops part ok as that's what they used also. I have already prepared my daughter to fact that I might need help with eye drop protocol both before and after surgery so she is kind of ready also with Grand daughter offering to help so should be good on that part. As far as the Ming Wang guy. I have horror stories about him and have no intentions of getting near him. Thanks all for the input............... :up:

It pretty much so is now days. The irritating part of my wife's experience was following the eye drops protocol and waiting between the two eye surgeries, (they only do one at a time). It's not all that stressful, but my wife's doctor gave her Valium to relax her, (she couldn't even handle putting in contacts if she had to), and they only use local anesthetic, (numbing drops), in the eye.

Dad went on several mission trips to Haiti a number of years ago.  One of the things he did there was act as a surgeon's assistant doing cataract surgery.  Cataracts are a big thing in the 3rd world.  The surgeon happened to be a neurosurgeon, but he learned how to do cataracts for this purpose.  They literally did hundreds of people in a couple days in a classroom at the local school/church.  People walked miles and lined up down the dirt road waiting in line for hours.  Dad said they got it down to less than 5 minutes per eye. 

Edited by peejman
You made any decisions yet on which route to take BG? I had my semiannual eye exam today and was told I have cataracts as well but in the early stages, not far enough along to do anything with yet. The Doctor said if you live long enough you'll get them in one form or another.

I had cataract surgery about a year or two ago. I got the lenses that fixed my nearsightedness and astigmatism. My eye surgeon advised don't go near the multifocal implants so I have to wear reading glasses. Surgery was a piece of cake. As Oh shoot said the lens is destroyed with ultrasound and sucked out through a needle, then the implant is inserted through the same needle. I took the Valium they offered but didn't really need it. You can't see or feel what is going on.

The most amazing thing to me was the change in colors. I had forgotten what white looks like

Edited by Glenn
Had my eyes done in Chattanooga in January.

Chose the diamond scalpel. Friend who is a surgeon in another part of the country told me not to use the laser as it was triple the cost out of pocket. He told me if he can't handle a scalpel, he won't be able to handle a laser. Made sense to me. Advice he gave me was choose a surgeon that does a lot of procedures and be careful which lens to choose. Eyesight is 20/20 left eye and 20/25 right eye.

I chose the toric lens to correct my bad astigmatism and overall I'm satisfied. I still need 'cheater' eyeglasses as I'm now a bit farsighted instead of nearsighted. Only part I don't like. Nice thing is I get them at the drugstore for twenty bucks instead of spending several hundred dollars for prescription glasses.

Shooting has improved and wearing sunglasses is great.

The wife recently had both eyes done in Knoxville by Dr McDanials. (sp) She now only needs glasses for close work and reading.  The out come made a spectacular change.  I call her Hawkeye.   I am next.

Edited by oldogy
My mom recently had both eyes done. She is so happy. There were no problems and took about 15mins. The first eye was 20/20 the next day. There was a 3day "recovery" period where she had to take it easy. The second eye was done a few weeks later and had some stinging for a day and was crystal clear by second day. She is still amazed at how much better she can see now

This was my wife's exact same results.  After the first one she started crying and said that she hadn't realized how she missed all the colors.

Cherokee Slim

I was told, at my last eye exam that I have cataracts in both eyes. But they aren't hindering my sight enough to do anything about. I've had these pop bottles hanging on my face as long as I can remember. It's my understanding that they plant "contacts? " In your eyes at the same time as they remove the clouded lens. I will need reading glasses but my vision will be better than what I have now with glasses. I can't wait.

I was told, at my last eye exam that I have cataracts in both eyes. But they aren't hindering my sight enough to do anything about. I've had these pop bottles hanging on my face as long as I can remember. It's my understanding that they plant "contacts? " In your eyes at the same time as they remove the clouded lens. I will need reading glasses but my vision will be better than what I have now with glasses. I can't wait.

Ditto! Good timing on this thread isn't it?