intro to IDPA shooting Class

I am looking into having an intro to IDPA shooting class. Class would cover basics the new competition shooter needs to know. We would start with class time to cover handgun knowledge and equipment needs. Head to the range for proper holster draw and target engagement. Movement, use of cover, reloads and shooting on the move.  Lots of one on one training. Class size would be limited to 10. Location in middle Tennessee area.  I would be willing to travel to other areas of the state. Round count would be 200-300 rounds, fee in the $80-$100 for 8 hour class.

Looking for feed back only at this time.

Feed back is good, taking names for class. PM me.

Edited by rstandley
  • Like 3
I think this is a great idea! For the time frame I believe 8 hours would be ideal considering the classroom time as well as range time. Max round count in IDPA is 18 round and if you figure 20 seconds per stage folks will get alot of actual practice time in.

Also considering how to break down a stage and plan reloads and movements would be beneficial for even seasoned shooters.
Yes sir I've been at it for 3.5 years and learn something new every time I go shoot, so 8hrs isn't to bad. Roberts a great shooter/teacher and guy, you will not be disappointed. He's been in the game a long time and knows loads of info, he coached me along when I first got started and now I'm forever grateful. If your on the fence about it I can assure you it will be money well spent. Edited by Jcoop

Looking at Sept. 12th date at Gallatin Gun Club. Run in conjunction with the regular IDPA match. Class would start at 8:00AM at the club house then move to the already in progress match at one of the open bays for drills then run the stages after regular bunch is finished. Each student will run each stage with COF stage breakdown before and after each run through.

I will need someone to run the regular match for me that day. I will supply the COF's for the match.

I am starting a list for Sept. 12 intro to IDPA shooting class. We will start at 8:00AM and try to finish by 4:00PM. Short lunch break around noon, something like subway sandwiches. Around 2 hours in class room and rest of the day on the range. Bring around 300 rounds at a min. 500 to make sure.  

I will take the first 10 for the class and start a ready list in case someone backs out. Send me a PM, text or e-mail. I will do other classes as needed.

Class fee is $80 due day of class.

Robert Standley

615-417-2747

robert.standley08@comcast.net

• 1 month later...

I feel totally prepared to compete (like the novice that I am :) ).
-Greg

I agree with what bud said about the class. I too found it very helpful. Robert was a great teacher.

I learned that I don't shoot as accurate under pressure as well as I would like, especially on the follow up shots. Edited by Trekbike

Thanks. I saw the email, but haven't had a chance to download the attachments yet. I'll check it out. You going to compete anytime soon? I wanted to go to the one at the armory tonight but got off work too late.

No worries, we will have another next Tuesday.
  • Like 1

What a fun class!
The class ran very smooth and provided lots of info on the rules and general in's and out's of IDPA.
The range time and the ability to run through the actual stages that the competitors had run through that day left me confident that I could roll up to a match, not knowing anyone there, and not make a fool out of myself.
It really is a simple game and not a lot of time or money is required to participate.
Robert was a very good instructor and I'd highly recommend the class for anyone who wants to get some practice, outside of just stationary blasting of targets at the range.
The stages set up are various, real world scenarios that teach use of cover and shot placement while on the move (things generally frowned upon at public ranges).
It's lots of fun and I'm afraid I'm hooked.
Thanks, Robert, for the excellent instruction and the fun relaxed atmosphere.
PLUS, it was a good value, at only $80, and I feel totally prepared to compete (like the novice that I am :) ).
-Greg

I completely agree!

Class was great; and I learned a lot. Robert, is an awesome instructor! And, I enjoyed meeting all of the other members of the class.

I just need to practice [a lot] now.