KY. man shoots down drone...

Too bad he was arrested, I hope the idiot pedophile perverts who don't respect privacy gets sued. I would shoot it down also, although the chances of someone spying on me with a drone is pretty slim, if I can I will shoot it down.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/29/kentucky-man-shoots-down-drone-hovering-over-daughters-on-back-deck/

Edited by K191145

You think these would make good "Drone Loads"?

These bastids were the reason I took the plastic butt plate off my Stoeger Uplander SxS and put on a recoil pad.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/Drone%20Loads_zpshez60rpm.jpg.html]Drone%20Loads_zpshez60rpm.jpg[/URL]
Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

I am curious how high the drone was. I have a drone, but would never just hover over someone's back yard.

Close enough to be shot down with a shotgun. Those pervs were spying on underage girls at their pool, probably some college age idiots, they deserved their drone destroyed.

• Like 3

There should definitely be some rules of "trespass" that have to be observed by drone pilots.  And thats not just a height restriction, anyone deliberately filming others private fenced yards should be illegal.   If it doesn't have a reasonable view from public property you shouldn't be able to film it with a drone.  

• Like 2
TN did pass some law related to drones, but I don't remember what it was. In general, I don't think it is a big problem in that most people who have them don't want to use them for nefarious activities. The bigger issue is people flying too high around airports.

The worry about cameras is a bit overblown as well. You have to be very close to see much specific in relation to a person. Yes, they could look at things in your yard from very high, but you will never stop that. Hell, if I want a good look at your property I will go to Google. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

Something for hunting ducks or geese would probably be better. 3 or 3.5 inch 2s or 3s would be better for a moving target.

Those 4B in 3" would definatly hit hard though. If it's hovering it's a straight on shot.

Heck I flew over all my neighbors' property today checking out damage from the high winds. Saved one neighbor across the street from having to drag a ladder out to check his roof for damage. Granted I started from 300 feet up circling a radius of 500 feet, before dropping to the deck at the neighbor's request for his personal fly by.
  • Like 1

Those 4B in 3" would definatly hit hard though. If it's hovering it's a straight on shot.

Oh sure but if I'm operating a drone and I see a gun with a gun I'm scooting. That's why I suggested the duck loads. Throw in a IC or LM choke and it flies it dies. Edited by shotgunshooter

Oh sure but if I'm operating a drone and I see a gun with a gun I'm scooting. That's why I suggested the duck loads. Throw in a IC or LM choke and it flies it dies.

My Uplander has a IC AND a LM choke.  :)

Although I need some practice with moving/flying targets.

Heck I flew over all my neighbors' property today checking out damage from the high winds. Saved one neighbor across the street from having to drag a ladder out to check his roof for damage. Granted I started from 300 feet up circling a radius of 500 feet, before dropping to the deck at the neighbor's request for his personal fly by.

Something like that is cool, no problem if your neighbor knows it. These guys were spying on 16 year old girls.

Damn I'm good. No I just based that off of what I hunt everything with.

I haven't hunted anything in a loooong time and was fairly poor at birds but I never actually practiced enough, clays thrown by hand is all. That Uplander is a SxS but there's no reason I couldn't hit with it if I was proficient. 

I know Stoeger is an inexpensive shotgun but it is a well built good quality gun, just not a $1500+ double.

Edited by K191145

The worry about cameras is a bit overblown as well. You have to be very close to see much specific in relation to a person. Yes, they could look at things in your yard from very high, but you will never stop that. Hell, if I want a good look at your property I will go to Google.

He hit it with a shotgun well enough to bring it down, so that suggests probably 50 yards or less. You can get about any amount of detail you want from that distance with choice of focal lengths.

What if a person were somehow hovering 50 yards over your backyard -- would you not feel an invasion of privacy?

And of course the thing might have been a lot closer than that too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I'll be curious to see how this one shakes out in court.  I'd guess the charges are more related to shooting in proximity to other houses and the verbal threats than anything else.  I suppose the proper thing to do would be to call the cops.  Though shooting it down sure sounds like more fun. 

• Like 1

He hit it with a shotgun well enough to bring it down, so that suggests probably 50 yards or less. You can get about any amount of detail you want from that distance with choice of focal lengths.

What if a person were somehow hovering 50 yards over your backyard -- would you not feel an invasion of privacy?

And of course the thing might have been a lot closer than that too.

- OS

First let me say I am not approving or supporting what these guys did, that's not my point.  I suspect they were being perv's, but I want everyone to understand what one can actually see in detail from 50 yards with one of these.  

It isn't that you can't see people, or even enough detail to make out an object from 50 yards with most drones, but you cannot for instance zoom in and see specific detail on a body part.  I have a better than average drone with a 4k camera, but from 50 yards, all I could make out is probably what person it is if  I know them.  I am not going to see great detail.  

Unless you are running a 5-10k drone that holds a DSLR with a zoom attached (which I would be almost certain these guys are not, you would have to be within 10 yards or less to see any spefic detail of a person.   I suspect these morons may have tried to come in that close at some point, so I am not even saying I am against targeted action, but I wouldn't get too worked up over someone just flying over my property at a reasonable height (probably somewhere in the 100ft category is ok with me).  What they can see from that height they can get from Google quite easily.  Granted, the Google image is a one time still.

I will splice together some video from different heights when I get the chance to give you an idea of what you can see at what height.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1