Judge Approves Claims Against Taurus

gun sane

A class action lawsuit involving nine of Taurus' PT series pistols has been approved for repair or cash exchange beginning in August.  The claims cite an alleged defect that permits the pistols to fire accidentally when the safety is engaged.

http://www.guns.com/2015/07/31/claims-in-taurus-settlement-to-be-collected-in-august/

Edited by gun sane

I'm getting ready to order a PT 845. Trying to wait out the blems at KYGun co and get one for 230 bucks. I would also like to get the wife a PT 111 from Kygun Co for 198.00. I've owned multiple Taurus guns over the years and have nothing but good things to say. The 1911 I owned was great, ate everything I fed it and was way more accurate than I was. 

• Like 1

I had a Millineum Pro PT140. It was 9+1.  Bought on sale for $249 at Academy.  I took it to the range, loaded 2 mags  started with 1st and 1 in the barrel.  I fired it 18 times and it wouldn't fire anymore?  I am not a gunsmith and could not identify the problem?  I called Taurus.  The lady on the phone said, "we are closed.  Call back in 3 weeks".  I called back in 3 weeks.  They gave me an RMA number and said mail it back.  I checked their website and entered my # almost every day for updates.  None ever for 5 months.  After 5 months, the weapon showed up in my mailbox, in the original box, original serial number, with no paperwork inside whatsoever.  not even a shipping invoice.   I drove down to the LGS, they offered me more in trade than I paid for it.  I traded it plus $200 for a Glock 27 (baby Glock 40), which has never one single time failed to go bang.  My first and only and last dealing with Taurus.

From what I've found so far, you have to contact Taurus with your gun(s) serial number and they will tell you if it is involved in the recall for inspection, repair, or replacement.

If I ever hear from them, I'll let you know what I find.

I was trying to get a lost takedown lever replacement, but was told they didn't sell parts and I would have to send it in for repair.

They did send a pickup order, but as it turned out; I'm not getting my PT111 Pro back. It's to be replaced with a G2 model. Someday.

Kind of bummed about this whole mess, my pt 145 mil pro is my everyday carry gun...it has always went bang when I wanted it to and never when not wanted...but I have never dropped it either. I don't want to be without it for months for service and $200 wouldn't replace it....hmph

Kind of bummed about this whole mess, my pt 145 mil pro is my everyday carry gun...it has always went bang when I wanted it to and never when not wanted...but I have never dropped it either. I don't want to be without it for months for service and $200 wouldn't replace it....hmph

Have you tried their safety test?

Empty pistol. Rack slide as if loading chamber. Put on safe. Try to pull the trigger.

If it moves or you think it has any travel at all...send it back.

I tested my other Taurii and it felt like I'd break the trigger off before it moved with safety on. I did not drop it from 6 feet+/- on concrete to check it. Maybe that's a critical mistake on my part, but I don't make a practice of dropping mind on the hammer or striker assembly.

If at all worried, send it back. If not, wait, watch, and then decide from there.

But mine seem ok(yes it's a calculated risk sort of call), so I'm waiting to see how it plays out.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The settlement website has not been updated, but Law360 indicates that the judge did give final approval last week.

http://www.law360.com/articles/820419/judge-oks-239m-class-settlement-over-faulty-guns

Unfortunately they also have an article regarding claims that Taurus is not replacing all of the affected pistols.  They want to inspect them first.  I'm not sure what there is to inspect if this is really a design flaw.

http://www.law360.com/articles/817228/taurus-reneging-in-30m-faulty-gun-deal-court-told

9 minutes ago, Ski said:

Unfortunately they also have an article regarding claims that Taurus is not replacing all of the affected pistols.  They want to inspect them first.  I'm not sure what there is to inspect if this is really a design flaw.

http://www.law360.com/articles/817228/taurus-reneging-in-30m-faulty-gun-deal-court-told

Just part of the Taurus Forever Warranty -- takes forever to get it fixed.

- OS

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 9:30 PM, Ski said:

The settlement website has not been updated, but Law360 indicates that the judge did give final approval last week.

http://www.law360.com/articles/820419/judge-oks-239m-class-settlement-over-faulty-guns

The settlement website was finally updated.  It indicates that the judge did approve the settlement on 7/22/2016.  However, it states "The claims filing process cannot begin until the appeals process concludes."  And, it states there has already been an appeal.

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

FWIW. I had already sent a PT111 in for service work before all this happened. I did receive a Gen 2 PT 24/7 to replace it.

I just got lucky.  when my dealer found out about it, he raised a big fuss and they sent me the 24/7 since none of the newer Gen 2 111's were available then.

It's a better pistol than the 111 was.

• 1 year later...