First time for Appendix Carry - Is it safe?

I carried a gun (inside the waist band) in the 1-2 O'Clock position today (i.e., appendix carry).  Was comfortable and I didn't think about it being there...until I sat down.  It still didn't bother me physically, but the gun was pointed at my femoral artery which made me very nervous!  I know a young person who accidentally shot himself right there and very quickly passed away.  I read a couple of articles and people were debating back and forth...seems to be a much-used and highly-liked method for concealed carry, but all seemed to agree it comes with a risk and you need to be even more careful than any other method of carry.  Mostly when putting your gun in the holster...but always keep away from the trigger and keep it covered 100%.  Oh well...it went well and the equipment is good so maybe I'll get used to it...just wondered how common this is in east Tennessee.

Thanks, B

I don't carry that way for exactly that reason, plus it's very uncomfortable sitting down. That said, find what works for you and don't worry about how others carry. I finally gave up on finding holsters that fit and now make my own and carry comfortably in the 5 o'clock position. Once I made custom holsters, I can carry a larger and heavier handgun than before and it's almost comfortable enough to forget it's there.

If I ever needed to carry in that position, I would never, never, never reholster the handgun while wearing the holster. My protocol would be... remove holster, holster weapon, clip holster back on.

Whatever works for you...

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

Safety of carrying and the position depends on several things. Number one is the person carrying, second a good holster and third is the type/brand of firearm carried.

I often carry cross draw with a Don Hume IWB clip on but my pistol is either a S/A with safety or DA/SA with safety.

I usually carry with the hammer down when I carry the SA/DA pistols.

The main safety feature of all firearms is between your ears and behind your eyes so know and practice with the firearm carried and carry how you feel safe!.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 2

You just started a discussion that gives 9mm vs .45 vs .40 a run for it's money.

LOL. Ain't it the truth? :pleased:

Safety of carrying and the position depends on several things. Number one is the person carrying, second a good holster and third is the type/brand of firearm carried.

I often carry cross draw with a Don Hume IWB clip on but my pistol is either a S/A with safety or DA/SA with safety.

I usually carry with the hammer down when I carry the SA/DA pistols.

The main safety feature of all firearms is between your ears and behind your eyes so know and practice with the firearm carried and carry how you feel safe!.

Excellent advice.

Yes...and No...But there is inherent danger in carrying a firearm period.

I've carried appendix daily for 15+ years. I am very cognizant of what I am am doing when reholstering. But that holds true whether appendix, strong side, or crossdraw.

How does that saying go? "We should be fast to draw, but hesitant in reholstering".

I've seen several gunshot wounds to lower extremities (legs) from careless reholstering....fingers on trigger, clothing caught up in the trigger guard. Inattentive "speed reholstering", no matter position carried, can lead to disastrous results.

When I am reholstering my Glock 19 I tend to somewhat lean back averting the muzzle away from my manberries. It's not an exaggerated motion or anything, and is ingrained into what I do.

In my experience in ECQC, FOF, and weapon retention training and classes, I've found the appendix position to work best for me.

As far as comfort goes, I've found a purpose designed holster to work best. I am wearing a Dale Fricke Archangel at the moment and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

I also have a Phlster holster for my 9mm Shield.

Both of these were designed with appendix carry in mind. They allow a small amount of movement laterally when sitting which helps where comfort is concerned, yet the grip remains constant and readily accessible.

I carry between the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock position. It works well for me and my body-type.

Some will argue that a double action mechanism handgun is preferred for safety reasons. I can't fault their position. It's a choice we each have to make. I'm good with mine.

btw...there's several of us in the Knoxville area that carry appendix. :cool:

http://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/archangel-appendix-carry/

http://www.phlster.com/#!store/c2271

Edited by prag
  • Like 2
Aiwb carrier here. Since 2006. Still got all my parts. Finger off the trigger, conscious reholstering and holster which properly protects / covers the trigger...impossible for gun to discharge. Once I got a good belt and found the "right" holster, I could carry a 75B all day in comforting comfort.

As Prag said, it works for me.
  • Like 1

I have tried it and for the same reasons you mention I no longer do it. The first time I sat down while appendix carrying I realized that if the gun went off for ANY reason I would likely be dead within minutes. Carrying a firearm is supposed to save your life, not take it, if something bad happens. I applaud those of you that do but I could never do it without being a nervous wreck constantly.

I carry just like I have for 25+ years, OWB on my right side. I probably have years of training and practice with the gun in that position so I am reluctant to change. Not saying I won't change but I will say I won't change to appendix carry.

One way of carrying that has intrigued me a lot as of late is on my left side at about 10 or 11 in a cross draw type setup. Would make it easier to draw while seated, like in a vehicle, and probably no harder when not in a seated position. It would also be easier for me to conceal it as well but that is a minor concern at best because most people would never notice me carrying on my side.

• Like 2

"One way of carrying that has intrigued me a lot as of late is on my left side at about 10 or 11 in a cross draw type setup. Would make it easier to draw while seated, like in a vehicle, and probably no harder when not in a seated position. It would also be easier for me to conceal it as well but that is a minor concern at best because most people would never notice me carrying on my side."

I have a Bond Arms Ranger II that came with a driving holster that fits on the left side for cross draw.  Very comfortable.  B

Edited by Bassoneer

Aiwb carrier here. Since 2006. Still got all my parts. Finger off the trigger, conscious reholstering and holster which properly protects / covers the trigger...impossible for gun to discharge. Once I got a good belt and found the "right" holster, I could carry a 75B all day in comforting comfort.

As Prag said, it works for me.

Conscious reholstering is always a good idea. 

• Like 1

Is it safe?

Might not be if you have concerns about. I appendix carry a J-frame revolver. I feel safe doing that, but wouldn’t do it with a semi-auto.

The argument comes into play when you have those that don’t think a firearm can discharge unless you pull the trigger. If you believe that; carry on. If you think any mechanical devise can fail; you might want to consider your specific set-up.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I gave it a thought...(with an unloaded gun)...I decided against it.

Personally, even if I was confident that I would never holster/unholster the weapon from that position, the mere fact it is basically pointing at your femoral artery when sitting down was a big enough reason to make me decide never. Lots of people carry this way, but it isn't for me. It was unnerving even with an unloaded gun. I would not be able to be mentally comfortable knowing that I had a loaded gun pointed at my groin/artery. 

• Like 1

I have tried a lot of different carry methods and positions. I have a sack full of holsters that I never use any more. I have never tried appendix carry. My stomach muscles are too large. If it works for you then it's no a bad way to carry. It's easy to access and easy to protect (retain). I carry IWB at 3 o'clock with a BUG inside my vest or in my pocket.
  • Like 1

I tried it once, wasn't comfortable for me, dug into my leg when sitting. I carry on my side @ 3 o'clock. Comfortable standing,

walking, sitting, laying, whatever. And, of course, keep my finger, or anything else away from the trigger.

• Like 1
I've been carrying a pistol AIWB in a Dale Fricke Archangel since 2011ish. No issues here.

Driving a car, having a surgery, taking the stairs, and AIWB carry are all safe. They each have risks that need to be addressed individually. Train more and you will be GTG.
  • Like 2

If your gun is going off when holstered, you should replace it.   Your carry gun should only fire when the trigger is pulled.  A few guns can go off without this, those are not safe to carry and usually involve antiques, home-grown-gunsmithing, worn out weapons, or other similar things none of which are safe to carry loaded in any way whatsoever.  

If you gun does not fire when holstered,  you should be fine no matter what part of your body (and everyone else's) it sweeps while being worn.  I pocket carry... when I sit down, the muzzle points at other people in some places.   Its almost impossible not to have the business end point at someone (include yourself) sometimes if you are moving around being a human.   Bend over too far IWB and there it  is, near horizontal to the ground... pointing at who knows what.  Life happens.   So that means it is your responsibility to ensure the gun can't fire when holstered and in its carry location on your body.   This means working it out... practice draw / fire / reholster.   Impact test it.  Unload it and prove to yourself that it is safe.  IMHO that should be done for every gun, every holster, every change in location, etc.    You gotta know its safe.

• Like 3

My belly gets in the way for appendix carry.  Plus I don't like it digging into my leg when sitting.  I've found my favorite spot is about 3:30 or 4 o'clock, basically right behind my hip bone.  Far enough back it doesn't dig in my hip, and enough forward it doesn't dig in my back when sitting in a chair.

• Like 2

Appendix carry: I don't carry that way for two reasons: Its actually less comfortable for me and I feel restricts my movement in almost every way. Secondly, is the pucker factor of realizing that the barrel of the handgun is pointed at my femoral artery. 

So I too have ruled that mode of carry out.

Edited by polecat
  • Like 1

Guns fire one way...someone or something pulls the trigger. If no one or no thing pulls the trigger then they do not go off. It is pretty simple.

I have carried pretty much daily (unless I'm so sick I don't leave the house) for the last 20 years and have yet to have a gun spontaneously go off no matter what kind of holster it was in or where it was oriented. So in a minimum of 7000 days of carrying loaded guns on my person and spent the last decade teaching classes all over the country with people carrying loaded guns on their person and I have yet to see a single "spontaneous discharge" where a gun "went off" in the holster for no reason. I have seen "negligent discharges" occur while people were handling guns but never saw one go off while it was secured in a holster. 

You know whose guns just spontaneously go off in holsters? NOBODY's. You know whose go off when holstering ? People who holster with finger on trigger and people who shove the gun unto a holster that has shirt tail or the edge of the holster itself (in the case of the ultra worn broken down old leather holsters or ultra cheap nylon holsters) or some other obstruction inside the holster that contacts the trigger are the people who have guns go off while holstering. That is what causes guns to go off in holsters ....something (or someone) pulls the trigger as the gun is inserted. 

How do we make sure it does not go off while holstering? Use a holster that does not collapse when the gun comes out.  Keep your finger clear of the trigger guard and slowly and carefully insert the pistol after making sure that there are no obstructions (clothing, jacket toggles or drawstrings, keys, etc) that can come in contact with the trigger. Once it is in the holster don't touch it and simply go about your business. As long as the trigger does not get pressed it cannot go off. 

Only you will be able to decide whether appendix carry is right for you. If it is then rock on. If it is not...then rock on. It doesn't effect anyone else how YOU carry YOUR gun (as long as you do it safely) so choose what works and go forth and be armed. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 4
  • 1 month later...