My daily carry "pistol", AKPDW V2.0

So as some of you who have been here for a while know I have recently became a AK fanatic giving up most things AR related. And a year, or more, ago I built a EDC carry "pistol" out of a mini Draco. It worked extremely well and missed it the second I sold it so I decided to throw another one together. The last one had to have a maximum length so it would fit into a laptop bag so I could carry it with me into stores. This one is a little different as I will not be using the same bag so it does not have the same length requirements. So instead of running a slant brake, that was pretty rough to shoot, I installed a 4 piece brake and it seems to help a lot. The gas system has been tuned, the trigger has been reworked to remove most of the pre travel and over travel. The trigger is a two stage that is under four pounds. The forearm is made from a cut down Saiga rifle forearm.

It is actually 26"+ so I could, if I wanted to, add a vertical forward grip but I am not a fan of them on such a small gun. The only thing I might do is swap out a top cover for one with an A2 sight so I can get a longer sight radius.

I welcome any questions.

And here are some pictures of what I am dubbing my AKPDW V2.0.

DSCN0845_zpsdivx2fl9.jpgDSCN0846_zpsefynbaqn.jpgDSCN0847_zpsitkcpefg.jpgDSCN0848_zpssmkbraey.jpgDSCN0852_zpsmwu8pf7m.jpgDSCN0851_zpsaisqs8ff.jpgDSCN0850_zpsamdncjfa.jpgDSCN0849_zpshnl9wpst.jpgDSCN0854_zpszf9idtu6.jpgDSCN0855_zpsfc7roeqp.jpgDSCN0856_zpshucxfzsb.jpg

• Like 5

Bought it off a member here but you can find them everywhere. Google "Krinkov 4 muzzle 14mm".

But here is the same thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-62x39mm-14-1-LH-Thread-Krinkov-Style-3-Piece-Design-Muzzle-Mrake-Device-/380895230002?hash=item58af1ff832

Says "Reduces blow back and back pressure".

The real Krink brakes increase back pressure. How can anything you add to muzzle reduce it?

- OS

• 2 weeks later...

When I see something on ebay, I check to see if I can find it cheaper on google and sometimes do. I didn't go through the whole check out process but it showed $4.95 and free shipping/tax.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/shoulder-strap-green/263883282.html?listingId=337797544&sclid=pla_google_WeGotBetterDeals&adid=29963&rmatt=tsid:1012713%7ccid:247411609%7cagid:14868890329%7ctid:aud-63219930917:kwd-81832363009%7ccrid:60879544129%7cnw:g%7crnd:12305806117752313366%7cdvc:c%7cadp:1o1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4NmvBRCRp_yu2bzal4YBEiQAWfjpJnQiVVULmU4qwVb_WAPqW2WYtQL2LkdU74J8bre0tdAaAvOX8P8HAQ

Hell, it's only $5. I'll try the whole dealio and see if it's 4.95 delivered.

I placed the order, google popped up and said it was a trusted site and insured my purchase also. Now I wait and see...

I don't know much about this stuff but saw they have other interesting items like this lower kit. Again, I don't know much but thought I'd post just in case it was a good deal. They had others too but this is free shipping. Lemme know if any of this other stuff is good and/or priced right?  :up:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/lower-parts-kit-ar15-gunbuilder-s-kit-ca/270376469.html

Edited by MountainDewed

Couple of questions.....

• Why the Mini Draco versus the "other" AK pistol options... M92, Draco, Micro Draco, etc.?  Was it solely to achieve a certain barrel length or OAL?
  • Is that short sight radius workable at all?
  • Plans for an optic?
  • Handguard looks really good - like it belongs on the gun.  Would be interested to hear how you cut it down and also how well it handles heat.

I was wanting the shortest possible package in a rifle caliber and this is it. Not going to find anything this size in any other platform. There is the Micro but it looses too much velocity for me to consider it. Also, the muzzle blast with the micro will be a lot worse than with this and this isn't exactly fun to shoot, at least not without a decent muzzle device.

I do own a standard Draco, a WASR, an M85 as well as the mini. They all fill particular needs I have.

I do not think heat will be an issue for the amount of shooting I do with this gun. It has been tuned and shot enough to ensure reliability so other than a magazine from time to time to swap out carry ammunition I will not be shooting this gun much. But I did make, and install, a heat shield but have no intentions on checking to see how effective it is. In a life or death situation I do not care how much I have to shoot to win. If I melt the entire gun down I do not care so long as I am the winner. The sight radius works fine for what this gun is used for, which is close in engagements but I could easily hit man sized targets at 100 yards with it if need be. I do plan on opening up, and zeroing, the rear sight. I will center the front then use a file to center the rear. I have no plans for an optic on this gun.

Makes sense and certainly agree 100% on the concept of defensive firearms being simply a tool to survive and prevail in a situation that you hope never happens.

You mentioned in your earlier comments that you would intend to carry it in a bag when you are in stores.  I'm really not trying to bust stones here, but I can't think of a lot of retail stores that you could roll in to with a bag of any sorts that wouldn't draw a ton of attention to yourself.  Not talking about a bad guy spotting you as the guy carrying a rifle caliber firearm, but store loss prevention or even local LE calling out a dude with a bag.  Just doesn't seem kosher these days. 

Makes sense and certainly agree 100% on the concept of defensive firearms being simply a tool to survive and prevail in a situation that you hope never happens.

You mentioned in your earlier comments that you would intend to carry it in a bag when you are in stores.  I'm really not trying to bust stones here, but I can't think of a lot of retail stores that you could roll in to with a bag of any sorts that wouldn't draw a ton of attention to yourself.  Not talking about a bad guy spotting you as the guy carrying a rifle caliber firearm, but store loss prevention or even local LE calling out a dude with a bag.  Just doesn't seem kosher these days. 

Since I do a lot of stuff on foot, I go into all kinds of stores all the time with my backpack. Out of all the many  places I frequent that way,  only the lowly Dollar General sometimes has ever had an issue, asking me to leave it at cashier's station.

I know Sam's might also have an issue with that though, the one time I happened to enter on foot in Nooga with a plastic bag of stuff I had bought at a nearby Sportsman's warehouse, they wanted to look in it on exit.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Appreciate the feedback.  Also read your article regarding this pistol on another forum and that personal perspective you added helped provide additional color.

Any info you can add on the Saiga handguard that you customized to fit this gun?  Seems like a winner.  Lots of companies have headed down a railed handguard path when on something like this pistsol, that's really adding way more weight than what's needed.

Overall I'm impressed with the PDW you've put together but your MPA 9mm comment intrigued me so I researched it. Yeah I can see the interest in that but how is it a significant improvment on a Glock 17L or 34 with a Glock a couple of spare Glock 18 magazines? If its the ability to set up a Shockwave or SIG limb brace then I can see that. BTW I'm not criticizing your ideal just pondering it as much for myself as anything else.

I worked at Lowe's for 6 years. People would come in all the time with bags. It's not those people who are stealing, it's the ones emptying boxes and stuffing them or just flat out walking out with stuff.

I worked at Lowe's for 6 years. People would come in all the time with bags. It's not those people who are stealing, it's the ones emptying boxes and stuffing them or just flat out walking out with stuff.

Depends on the industry.  At Lowe's, that makes sense.  I worked in the risk management space for a while and had the opportunity to work closely with loss prevention and security at a number of companies.  At many stores, the person with the backpack or bag is exactly the person you worry about.  In this day and age, you also DO worry about what's in there, not just what they might be putting in there.  You can get away with a lot given the complete lack of awareness of 99% of the general public as well as the apathy of store employees and security... but if someone ever did come across it somehow, you'd end up on the news as a potential terrorist with an AK-47 regardless of how legal it was and then the comparison to Leonard Embody would be closely following it in he news reports, followed by interviews with politicians questioning a "loophole" that allows individuals to carry around "such heavy firepower" and how we need "common sense regulations", you know... "for the children." 

Concealed is concealed, legal is legal...  We live in country where more people can correctly name all of the Kardashian family members than can find Afghanistan on a map.

The OP laid out a very personal story and very personal reasoning as to why he went the path he did and I certainly respect it.  I think it's a really neat gun and I applaud the OP for his efforts on putting it together.

Edited by rgaper
  • 1 month later...

Since I do a lot of stuff on foot, I go into all kinds of stores all the time with my backpack. Out of all the many  places I frequent that way,  only the lowly Dollar General sometimes has ever had an issue, asking me to leave it at cashier's station.

I know Sam's might also have an issue with that though, the one time I happened to enter on foot in Nooga with a plastic bag of stuff I had bought at a nearby Sportsman's warehouse, they wanted to look in it on exit.

- OS

I'd have told them NO.    You have nothing better to do,so I have told them to bring a cop with a warrant.