Knoxville Allowing Fair to Prohibit Guns in a Park

Bit surprised Eddie would ask. Or maybe not. He did a "present, not voting" on the park/school revision in the first place.

We had an email exchange about that -- I'll give him credit for standing up and responding in depth though. His stance wasn't really strictly anti-2A per se, though, but conflicted opinion between gun rights and local authority, so just didn't vote.

I did vote for him though, as he replaced one of the biggest commies in the legislature, Gloria Johnson.

- OS

Same here exactly........I told him a non-vote wasn't acceptable, simply gives support to the anti's.  I voted for him because he told me he was a 2nd Amendment supporter........so is Haslam, but  both have an odd way of showing it.

I am still going with wasn't it no guns allowed in Knoxville parks that they used to keep people from carrying to Chilhowee park in the first place when they were exempt from having to post the no gun signs?

Seemed they where happy enough to call it a park then.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Only way to stop this is to have very harsh penalties for violations by 'public servants'.  Rights violations like this should be 10 year prison sentences, and if you're armed while violating rights, life in prison.

$500 is nothing, 10 years in prison, and you'll think 3 or 4 times before going ahead with your stupid idea.

A $500 fine from any government official's personal pocket funds per violation of one's carry rights seems reasonable to me. That would put an immediate stop to this arrogant foolishness from local politicians.

Isn't the AG upset enough about this to come out and tell them to stop it? He knows they are laughing at him behind his back. They are not keeping it a secret that they think his opinion on the "Guns in Parks" law is stupid.

• Like 1

If a licensed open carrier refused to leave, but was polite in his assertion of his rights, would the TFA back him up if he falsely received a trespassing charge?

I'm so glad we have GCO here in Georgia. They are suing on my behalf in two lawsuits even though I was not arrested.

IANAL, but you don't need to get arrested to have standing to challenge this in court.  Call the government department which runs the 'park' in question and ask them if you'll be denied entry if you're are legally carrying a firearm.  Record said phone call.

That should be enough to have standing in front of a state judge to issue an injunction from denying you entry.

My wife and I didn't go. My oldest son, his wife and two kids didn't go. My other son and his lady didn't go. Our family made our statement. I hope there were a lot more here that made the same statement. The oncoming lawsuit is icing on the cake. If any profits from the event are absorbed in the cost of litigation that would be just fine with me. Way too many bleeding heart liberals controlling our lives now. 

• Like 2

Considering the news coverage says husband is retired police officer and "because due to her age she is a target of would-be assailants," it is doubtful that this is the same Pandora Vreeland.

The plaintiffs name is Pandora Vreeland, not a common name.  So is this Pandora Vreeland, a quick search of FB:

pandora%20freeland_zpsar4ynetv.jpg

• 2 months later...

From the Article:

A lawsuit to be filed within weeks against the city of Knoxville, Mayor Madeline Rogero and organizers of the Tennessee Valley Fair will claim a civil conspiracy deprived residents of their rights to carry guns at last year's fair, according to an attorney for the Tennessee Firearms Association...
Attorney Andrew Fox told a gathering of more than 50 TFA members Tuesday night that a public records request has revealed the Rogero administration unlawfully conspired with the fair organizers to ban lawful handgun permit-holders from Chilhowee Park.

I really liked this one:

Meanwhile, Knoxville Police Chief David Rausch told East Tennessee lawmakers that if police are working security at a public venue, that venue should be allowed to ban firearms.

"Where a venue hired law enforcement to secure that venue, we feel there's enough guns there already," Rausch told nine legislators at a breakfast in Rogero's office Wednesday.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local/second-lawsuit-to-be-filed-over-gun-ban-at-tennessee-valley-fair-289ff24f-adfb-53ec-e053-0100007f1f9-364435741.html

If there is proof of a 'conspiracy' to violate the law and the rights of citizens, then all involved should be charged criminally if possible.  If not they should be personally liable for all costs related to this.

If these guys can't be charged under state law, we need to press the legislature to add criminal penalties to violating part 39-17-13xx.  

We can get charged with a felony for mistakenly walking onto school property, or mistakenly getting too close to a school soccer game in a public park, but government officials can conspiracy to deny us rights granted under the state constitution and not face criminal charges is obscene.

• Like 1