transfer denial

I got denied on an FFL transfer yesterday. I buy a few firearms each year, and my last FFL transfer purchase was in June on an AR receiver from AIM which sailed through with the normal rapidity, and I've not committed neither felony nor misdemeanor since.

In any event, this is my first time gong through the appeal process. Anyone else ever had this happen and care to offer any suggestions or advice? I hate being at the mercy of some faceless bureaucracy.

I got denied on an FFL transfer yesterday. I buy a few firearms each year, and my last FFL transfer purchase was in June on an AR receiver from AIM which sailed through with the normal rapidity, and I've not committed neither felony nor misdemeanor since.

In any event, this is my first time gong through the appeal process. Anyone else ever had this happen and care to offer any suggestions or advice? I hate being at the mercy of some faceless bureaucracy.

It was definitely "denied" and not "delayed" then, and you've already done the appeal?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

My boss was denied a few years ago but the appeal cleared it up because he used his first name William instead of Billy. Billy is how he is listed on Social Security and that was all it took for the denial. Once he faxed them the correction he was good to go.

• Like 1
Ive been getting denied lately in TN but I always get the appeal back approved.
I get delayed in KY but that gets cleared in 6 days - it can be almost anything; for me its my Clearance and caveats. My coworker got denied because she used her maiden name (recent divorce).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

During the last 35-40 purchases I've had a delay and a denial which were corrected within a short time period.  A few weeks ago I had to wait over two hours for an approval.  Yesterday it took less than five minutes to get an approval.  These were at the same store with no changes in information on the applications.

Anyone else ever had this happen and care to offer any suggestions or advice? I hate being at the mercy of some faceless bureaucracy.

This has come up several times here. It happened to me, I just copied and pasted my response from another thread.
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/85044-tics-denial/?hl=denied#entry1231795
The common cause seems to be an arrest that doesn’t show a disposition somewhere. I was arrested for having a gun in my car in Illinois many years ago. The charges were dismissed. I purchased guns in several states over many years before making purchases in Tennessee. Of my first several purchases here I was refused twice. Both were appealed and went through in two days. The first time I thought it was just a mistake; because it was approved so quickly. I called the TBI and the woman told me she couldn’t tell me why I was refused.

The second time it happened (not the next purchase) I called the TBI again. The woman told me it was because something Illinois was reporting, but she wasn’t allowed to say what it was on the phone. I told her of the arrest, that it was dismissed, and even if it wasn’t it was a non-disqualifying misdemeanor. She replied with “We don’t know that.” I said, “You don’t know it’s a misdemeanor?” she said “No, we know it’s a misdemeanor, but it could be a felony in Tennessee”. She said that when checking on the appeal they found I was okay. She couldn’t tell me why it went through okay on other purchases.

My daughter is a Probation Officer in Illinois and her boyfriend was an Illinois State Trooper. He checked and said Illinois didn’t report anything to them other than a speeding ticket.

That led to think it was the FBI database. They wanted $25 for a background check. It was $30 for a C&R license and I knew it would show up there if there was a problem. It did. The BATF sent me a letter I needed documentation on the disposition of the charge before they could proceed. I talked to the person handling it and he said the gun charge was not reported by Illinois, but was showing up in the FBI check with no disposition.

My daughter went to the Circuit Clerks office to get the documentation. The woman gave it to her and gave her a second copy; she said it has happened to her husband a couple of time and might happen again. She said she would resubmit the disposition to the Feds and that may fix the problem. It seems to have fixed the problem. She did that, and I submitted it to the Feds and got my C&R; no problems since.
  • Like 2

This has come up several times here. It happened to me, I just copied and pasted my response from another thread.
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/85044-tics-denial/?hl=denied#entry1231795
The common cause seems to be an arrest that doesn’t show a disposition somewhere. I was arrested for having a gun in my car in Illinois many years ago. The charges were dismissed. I purchased guns in several states over many years before making purchases in Tennessee. Of my first several purchases here I was refused twice. Both were appealed and went through in two days. The first time I thought it was just a mistake; because it was approved so quickly. I called the TBI and the woman told me she couldn’t tell me why I was refused.

The second time it happened (not the next purchase) I called the TBI again. The woman told me it was because something Illinois was reporting, but she wasn’t allowed to say what it was on the phone. I told her of the arrest, that it was dismissed, and even if it wasn’t it was a non-disqualifying misdemeanor. She replied with “We don’t know that.” I said, “You don’t know it’s a misdemeanor?” she said “No, we know it’s a misdemeanor, but it could be a felony in Tennessee”. She said that when checking on the appeal they found I was okay. She couldn’t tell me why it went through okay on other purchases.

My daughter is a Probation Officer in Illinois and her boyfriend was an Illinois State Trooper. He checked and said Illinois didn’t report anything to them other than a speeding ticket.

That led to think it was the FBI database. They wanted $25 for a background check. It was $30 for a C&R license and I knew it would show up there if there was a problem. It did. The BATF sent me a letter I needed documentation on the disposition of the charge before they could proceed. I talked to the person handling it and he said the gun charge was not reported by Illinois, but was showing up in the FBI check with no disposition.

My daughter went to the Circuit Clerks office to get the documentation. The woman gave it to her and gave her a second copy; she said it has happened to her husband a couple of time and might happen again. She said she would resubmit the disposition to the Feds and that may fix the problem. It seems to have fixed the problem. She did that, and I submitted it to the Feds and got my C&R; no problems since.

Holy crap what a mess, the legal system needs some serious cleaning up. Seems to me the logical thing to do is if someones charges are "Dismissed" or were found "Not Guilty" in a trial court then any record or file of that arrest should be deleted totally from all data banks and any papers destroyed.

I had one purchase a few years ago that took about a hour to be approved, I was used to it taking no more than 15 minutes. I asked the owner if they were just slow today or something and he told me that since I was ex-military that sometimes that throws up a red flag. I don't know if he was just giving me an excuse for the delay or if that's true or not.

I have not had any problems while doing purchases here in TN, just did a 3 gun transfer with out any problems, but when I applied for my carry permit it was denied pending an appeal due to an issue in California that hadn't reflected any disposition, I contacted the court in Cali and obtained the paperwork showing that the arrest resulted in a fine the had been paid, and that solved the problem for the carry permit.  So each case must cause different flags to go up, probably kind of like a Monday, Friday thing.

Holy crap what a mess, the legal system needs some serious cleaning up. Seems to me the logical thing to do is if someones charges are "Dismissed" or were found "Not Guilty" in a trial court then any record or file of that arrest should be deleted totally from all data banks and any papers destroyed.

That would make sense so it doesn't happen. The only issue that could pop up is with people taking a diversion plea deal it goes as guilty after set amount of time with no problems it is dismissed. It's a good opportunity for some to handle their case but I could see the judgements getting screwed up when sent in.