Knoxville suit re Parks

TFA is looking to file suit regarding the Mayor and City of Knoxville re the Parks issue.  We have a fund that is specific for suits of this nature, with enough money to file the paperwork. 

We are coming off of a legal battle with the State, where they alleged that we were a Charitable Organization, and as such, subject to registration and special requirements for donor information.  We were successful in fending off that attack, but are under strict scrutiny as to where we get funds to operate, as of this time we are limited to seeking contributions from Members only. 

We are currently looking for plaintiffs that meet the specifications for "Standing" in Knoxville.

If any are interested, please PM me here or e-mail per my address listed on TGO.

Someone who tried to enter and was denied.

I was told just being a Knoxville resident is enough, and I guess presumably with permit.  After all, I "might" have wanted to go to the fair, but not unarmed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Pretty sure that being a resident of Knoxville Proper is the requirement, but I have posed the question to the attorneys. Do not think having been turned away is a requirement.

If I lived there, I would certainly have been intending to go, till the Mayor violated State Law by fiat and I decided it was unsafe...

It is my consideration that if we do not sue at this point, some judge will be able to point to the acceptance by the general population of the violations of the law as reason to allow such actions to occur, pointing to the fact that the governments had acted without restraint from the people.

I am no legal scholar, but the time seems right to act.

• Like 2

I am no legal scholar, but the time seems right to act.

Maybe. I heard on the local news that the legislature plans to take up the issue in January. I suspect they may have the law changed (in our favor or not, who knows) by the time your case would go to court. Making the whole thing kind of pointless unless you're also looking for a monetary settlement from the city.

Maybe. I heard on the local news that the legislature plans to take up the issue in January. I suspect they may have the law changed (in our favor or not, who knows) by the time your case would go to court. Making the whole thing kind of pointless unless you're also looking for a monetary settlement from the city.

Taking up the issue wouldn't make a difference, IMHO. The jurisdiction needs to feel monetary pain for doing this, otherwise they'll do whatever they want to do in the future as well as show other jurisdictions that they can do the same.

I pocket carried through the entrance, did not see any posting, and was not stopped or searched. Smiled and nodded at a city cop manning the entrance with a wand and didn't get so much as a second glance. Didn't see anyone else stopped or searched while I was there.

Good luck with the suit.

So whoever wants to file this lawsuit didn’t try to have anyone that was carrying enter?

We are now building the list. 

I wanted to file it, and am fleshing out the requirements as we go, I am not an attorney, but I am interested in getting to the point where we can be effective with the suit (I am seeking council as this progresses).  One would think that he was among compatriots here, not before the bench yet.  As you can tell from the thread, I am working my way though this, and as always, seeking interest is the first order of business in my mind.

You want to file, jump in and have your own way.

• Like 3