.300 Blackout For Hogs?

I've been reading online for some time, and I get conflicting stories. I'm headed to Texas at the end of the month to hunt hogs, and I'm considering getting a .300 upper for use on these critters. I have a .308 bolt gun which I'm sure will do the job, but if it'll do I'd like to try .300 for more rapid up follow up.

Have you guys hunted hogs with it?

What's the consensus?

I've got a night optic to use for it, so I'll be shooting at less than 200yds also.

Edited by SupaRice

I've been reading online for some time, and I get conflicting stories. I'm headed to Texas at the end of the month to hunt hogs, and I'm considering getting a .300 upper for use on these critters. I have a .308 bolt gun which I'm sure will do the job, but if it'll do I'd like to try .300 for more rapid up follow up.

300Blk has been used successfully on hogs for years, even suppressed, but you must have good shot placement and a good round.  Take both, if 300Blk don't give you DRT hits, then switch it up.

• Like 1

What's the barrel length y'all are using on it? I don't have one, but I'm thinking about ordering one for this trip.

Do you have an SBR lower?  If not, just get 16", If yes, the I'd go with 9-10.5".  Not much velocity gain over 9", so if you have the opportunity, just go shorter.  I'd prefer a pistol length gas system, but if you run only supersonic 110-130gr, it won't matter much.  

Unless of course, you want to do one of the "brace" options on a AR pistol, then you could still go short

Edited by Lumber_Jack

I do have a pistol lower, but it was manufactured as 5.56 / .223 so I'm not sure if it's legal to use with a .300 upper? That crap is so damn confusing....

Is there any loss in velocity for a 16" upper?

I'd be doing supersonic only...

You can put any caliber upper on the lower, that will fit, no issues with whats stamped on the side. 

You will actually gain about 20fps per inch over 9" so you will see higher velocity, its just not much.  So, if I were you, I'd get a 16" upper and put it on a standard AR lower with a stock. 

I do have a pistol lower, but it was manufactured as 5.56 / .223 so I'm not sure if it's legal to use with a .300 upper? That crap is so damn confusing....

Is there any loss in velocity for a 16" upper?

I'd be doing supersonic only...

You can put any caliber upper on the lower, that will fit, no issues with whats stamped on the side. 

You will actually gain about 20fps per inch over 9" so you will see higher velocity, its just not much.  So, if I were you, I'd get a 16" upper and put it on a standard AR lower with a stock. 

+1 on the 16" that way you can use a regular stock on it.  And if you mean 16" vs a shorter barrel then as Lumber_Jack stated their is only a negligible difference in supers between the two; the hog won't be able to tell the difference I assure you. 

• Like 1
300 blackout works fine. I used the nosler black tip and the barnes vortx and both drop them like rocks out of my noveske 8 inch barrel with the can on it. I did a hunt in Texas with it (landowner wanted them all gone) and got in a mess of them and it was like fish in a barrel. Nice to have the quick target acquisition and the ability to put a lot of lead downrange quick.

Taking it back down in December for another one. Use it and don't lose any sleep on the morality or efficiency.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Admin Team

I figured you would be shooting hogs with 300+ grain bullets.

Oh, the 325gr out of the 338 Spectre work just great!

I was really testing the 110gr in the blackout to see how I felt about making a wholesale switch away from 5.56. I wanted something with some legs.

I was really testing the 110gr in the blackout to see how I felt about making a wholesale switch away from 5.56. I wanted something with some legs.

I've made the switch from 5.56 to .300 blk and haven't looked back.  My 5.56 rifles are for range fun only and SHTF storage only, since the ammo is cheaper.  The .300 blk is go to for hunting and home defense.  I'd shoot it more if I reloaded.  Ammo for it is just too pricey to use beyond zeroing and applying.

• Admin Team

I've made the switch from 5.56 to .300 blk and haven't looked back. My 5.56 rifles are for range fun only and SHTF storage only, since the ammo is cheaper. The .300 blk is go to for hunting and home defense. I'd shoot it more if I reloaded. Ammo for it is just too pricey to use beyond zeroing and applying.

Yeah, I originally switched to the wildcats to shoot heavy, slow stuff suppressed.

But, the 110gr 300Blk is really a great little round. I've yet to have anything fill out a complaint card because I didn't hit it hard enough.

I have been shooting my blackout some lately too. The 125 grain Nosler ballistic tips shouldn't be overlooked.

• Like 1

Been watching midway and psa, not seeing any good deals... anyone have suggestions where to find a deal on a basic upper?

You can check Red X Arms.

If you havent already sign up for newsletters/ads from Brownells, PSA, Midway and even Rainier.

Armslist may also have good deals.

I have an upper from Radical Firearms that I am very please with. About as inexpensive as I could find ready to go. You can buy your BCG elsewhere for cheaper.

That's what I did, I bought my upper without BCG or charging handle then got a couple of BCGs from PSA.  Its the nitride versions they had on sale awhile ago, so far they function without issue.