10mm Loads - Unique or Bullseye

Hey ya'll - as I wait for my Glock 29 to get to my LGS I have been scrounging up supplies as I make my foray into the world of 10mm.

I will be using Missouri Bullet Co coated 180gr TCFP bullets for these. Or (depending on Midway Sales/Academy) 180gr Hornady XTPs.

I have a lot of experience now loading with Unique - even though sometimes it wants to meter like wet sand.

However I also have a few pounds of Bullseye I have not opened. I have been pouring over data and reading THR, GlockTalk and a few other forums and everyone seemed to err on the side of extreme caution or just said DO NOT use Bullseye.

Anyone have any experience loading Full House with Bullseye? I don't want to the die the ironic death of old-EOD-tech-blown-up-by-Glockernade. 

If it is a no-go I have no problem getting more Unique. And I'll also be selling that Bullseye - so win-win for me and someone else I guess.

Unless of course someone has a "for-serious" recipe for 10mm. The other problem is the data online doesn't say if it is 10mm Lite or Full House. A lot of the load data with Bullseye seems to be similar with .40SW, but due to the increased case space I do not want to overpressure something, especially since I will be switching between coated lead and FMJs.

Thanks in advance.

I have no doubt you could make either work but neither is optimal for the 10mm

To get the best performance you're gonna need something slower like AA #7 or #9   Not to mention meter much better than those Unique corn flakes.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 2

Caster is spot on, skip both and get AA #9.  I understand you already have Bullseye and Unique, but if you have to, sell a couple of the unopened Bullseye and buy some AA, but if you're buying regardless dont buy more Unique for 10mm

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Bass Pro oddly enough usually has popular powders in stock.

That PMC stuff was great in my Glock 29 - not sure if it was "hot" but it felt a little stronger than 45ACP but holy hell what a fireball.

Ended up getting some Hi Skor 800X from Southside Shoooters - it was pretty darn cheap and I am used to metering "corn flakes" since I use so much Unique.

Went with 180gr HAP 10mm bullets and started with 8.2gr of 800x.

Only mishap was I didnt bell out the first two mouths as much as needed, the HAP bullet went in at like a 5 degree angle and the bottom was bulging out the brass.

Cant wait to get the range this weekend to try it out. People definitely know youre shooting something crazy - most casual shooters dont even know what 10mm is.

Thanks for the PMs also guys - got some really good reference data in addition to manufacturer data.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I hit the Reloader's Bench in Mt Juliet last Saturday. They had more powder on the shelf than I had seen in years. I grabbed some 800x and HS6, but no longshot to be had. Almsot grabbed Autocomp, but realized I got a can of that last time but hadn't cracked it open yet. Side note, prices were very reasonable again. I remember $30-35/lb a few years ago. Before all the madness most things were $18-21/lb, this weekend things were $21-25/lb. Fair enough for me.

I have to clean out the garage this week... can't hardly get to the reloading bench, haha! That's the way it always works for me. I reload in the winter months and then shoot it all up over the summer. I'm coming towards the end of my blasting ammo stash, so it's time to get to work.
  • Like 1

I hit the Reloader's Bench in Mt Juliet last Saturday. They had more powder on the shelf than I had seen in years. I grabbed some 800x and HS6, but no longshot to be had. Almsot grabbed Autocomp, but realized I got a can of that last time but hadn't cracked it open yet. Side note, prices were very reasonable again. I remember $30-35/lb a few years ago. Before all the madness most things were $18-21/lb, this weekend things were $21-25/lb. Fair enough for me.

I have to clean out the garage this week... can't hardly get to the reloading bench, haha! That's the way it always works for me. I reload in the winter months and then shoot it all up over the summer. I'm coming towards the end of my blasting ammo stash, so it's time to get to work.

I grabbed my 800-X for about $18/lb. Got 3 of them - stayed away from AA#5 read some bad things about the pressure and burn consistency on them.

I really need to save up and get a progressive press - it takes me almost 80 mins to load 100rds on my single stage.

However...justifying buying it to the minister of finance is the tricky part

Where did you read bad stuff about AA5?! All of the AA pistol stuff is pretty awesome, imho. Super consistent charge weights and everything else from all of my experiences. If you can remember where you read that, I'd love to read it myself to see if I'm missing something. AA5 is my go to powder for plinking 40 S&W and 9mm. Yours is the first negative I've heard about it. Oddly enough, I gave away a pound of 800x I bought a long time ago because it was useless in smaller charge weights through my pro auto disk due to its bulk. I'm going to give it another go for 10MM as charge weights will be higher and hopefully more consistent.

I'm in the same boat with you on the single stage... technically mine is a turret. Of course, if I could load 500 rds an hour right now, I'd need a 3rd job to pay for components alone! Ha!
Hm. Were those supposed to be different links? Both took me to the same thread. I don't necessarily read that information as danger, just someone's preference with spreads (which were not listed to for reference) I hesitate to use that one sentence with no data to back it up to justify a fear of "blowing up your gun" when using published loads. :-)

AA5 is a poor choice for 10MM anyway, but 7 is ok for a lightly reduced power target loads. It's a bit more economical than AA9.

Right on. 9 is the best choice for heavier bullets anyway :)

You have any experience using powder coated offerings from Missouri Bullet Co?

I love HAP and XTP rounds but $88/500rds of 180gr 10mm HAP is a bit much - I still save, but not as much as Id like.

Wish I could find what PMC uses - 200gr FMJ-TC those are a doozy. fecb3ad6b57f0ac82615a81fe605ac85.jpg

The one on the far left of my completed rounds is the 200gr it just looks evil.
No, I haven't tried powder coated bullets. Not because of any aversion, I just haven't bought any yet. I like the plated stuff from XTREMEBULLETS.COM I've been through about 7k of their stuff so far. The only one I don't like is their 158gr 38. Every dang one keyholes, no matter the load or powder, between two different Smiths that NOTHING else keyholes in. :/ I'm almost through the box, and it won't be replaced.

I used to buy from rmrbullets.com, but lately it seems they sell more pulled bullets than standard plated bullets.
For punching paper does plated work any worse than FMJ?

I stayed away from plated stuff for 45 because I read some reviews on Midway that the shipping was sloppy - boxes breaking, etc and that the bullet diameter was erratic.

I tend to over engineer my ammo and be super cautious with what I buy

Nope, just as good, imho. The only thing you have to watch is speed with plated. Some types aren't build to handle 1,400 fps or more. With 180 or 200 grain bullets that shouldn't be a problem. Xtreme's bullets are usually doublestruck, giving them a bit more integrity.

As to your other comment, what do shipping concerns have to do with bullet choice? That makes pretty much zero sense to me. As for diameter being erratic, I would equate that more with brand than bullet type. Was it possibly a Berry's bullet review? I know they're popular, but I'm not a fan. Also, midway is about the last place to buy bullets unless they're on a great sale or something. Edited by musicman
  • 3 months later...