gonna start to reload

some 9mm and was removing the primer from some cases that I bought here from an indoor range, when I came across some Winchester that seemed more difficult to remove, I took notice that those cases have like a crimp ring in them?  If that is the case does that crimp ring need to be removed before installing a new primer or will a primer fit with no problem.  But I had plans of using small rifle primer during the reload process so with the ring present do I need to change my plans on what primer needs to be used?  Thanks in advance for any info provided to solve the issue.

Ron

it got to go before you can seat the new primer.  there are many ways to do it and it does take time.  don't over do it and make the primer hole to big.  if you do it will not hold the primer in.  do a search on the web for the different ways to do it.  pick the one that you like. dillon, lyman, lee, and rcbs have hand and drill mounted models.  

I like the idea of putting the material back instead of cutting it away. RCBS has a swaging tool that goes in your press that's nice [ got one, used it for a long time]. Dillon makes a bench mounted tool that really works well. But it is a bit pricey.

I have never found the need to remove crimp on pistol brass. Never had an issue with seating the primer either, can feel it is a tighter fit but have never had a primer not fully seat - 9mm and .45acp.

However, the correct way as stated ii ss get rid of the crimp.

Rifle brass is a different story, remove the crimp every time.
I wasn't sure that some would have the crimp, I make my own 300blk out of 556 and have to do the same thing. I have been using the deburring tool that is motor driven to get it done, I may not use these there were only a few out of the bag of 500. However that does bring up another question, I have been doing some 45acp now for a while, and is doing the 9mm basically the same as doing the 45? Thanks for info.

Ron

For 9mm, or most any straight wall cartridges most any brass is OK.  The only thing to look out for is berdan primed, steel, and maybe nickel cases, otherwise they are all pretty much the same.  At least that has been my experience, but I don't compete so maybe some competition guys can chime in on that side of things.

For me Brass is Brass, with the exception of mil crimped primer pockets. I don't presort them, just go by feel on the press and when I run across them I toss them in the scrap bucket.

I load nickel cases as dummy rounds for practice in order to have the weight and feel of a full magazine for reload and dry fire practice. I only shoot reloads, and for safety reasons I will not load nickel cases being as they are strictly dead rounds used for muscle memory drills

Nickel cases are reloadable, but they are harder than brass and may flake.  I don't reload enough nickel cases to of had a problem with them but others have had flakes get imbedded inside the die scratching other cases and some have said that nickel wears their cutters when they trim them.  While it may be isolated incidents, I have plenty of brass cases to take chances with too many nickel ones.

How often have some of you found that you have had to trim 9mm shells either brass or plated brass?

For pistol, I have never trimmed them but I also don't crimp them much; just take the bell out.  If you want to crimp, then having all your cases the same length gives a more consistent crimp, specially if using a seat/crimp die.  Again, I don't compete so having an inconsistent crimp makes little difference.

I use a 45 degree chamfering tool that I bought from the hardware store for like $3 to remove crimps. It bells it a little as well making priming a little easier. It does not hurt anything either.

Make sure you are cleaning any brass that has hit the ground, even indoor ranges. All it takes is one piece of sand to put a burr inside the die.

I also picked up a set of dies today Omega got the other set that was for sale in the area, these are the RCBS 3 die Carb set so I need to do a little reading up on these and find out what they are all about but would like to hear the pros and cons from Y'all.

Thanks
  • Like 1