Best Rifle Round for Range and long-range

ReeferMac

I know it's dangerous starting a 'which round is best debate', but I'm looking at a getting a rifle.

Primarily for shooting at the range, and long-range shooting. I don't hunt currently, however an additional purpose of said rifle, besides plinking @ 200 yds., is in the event I ever DO need to shoot something, 2 or 4-legged.... I only want to have to hit it once.

I want a powerful round that can touch something at a distance, yet doesn't cost a buck-and-a-half a pop!

I've shot some AR's, and they're not to my liking. I'm more interested in on old-school semi-auto or bolt-action, iron sights as well as scoped, long barrel is fine, it will be my stress reliever (and occasionally put to real use on the farm). I don't want just a varmint gun. Want something that can take down a deer, or possibly larger, and at a distance.

I've primarily been considering .308, but for quality ammunition, that's an expensive day at the range. Whatever I get I'll want to reload, but I still want to be cost conscious, when selecting the cartridge. I'm concerned w/ some of the less-common sizes being able to get the ammunition if availability get scarce, so kind of hoping to stick to one of the more common ones.

A friend has suggested I get a quality Mosin Nagant and a nice scope dialed in, but want to consider other options, idea's, and cartridges.

Thanks for your input!

- Kevin

The AR15/10 platform is extremely versatile - I'll add quick tidbit on that, granted I realize you are not too fond of it.

If you wanted to reach out and touch someone a Mk 12 Mod 0/1 clone would be a good bet in the 5.56 realm of things. 18" barrel, properly gassed with a 1:8 twist utilizing the Mk262 (77gr Sierra King OTM) is deadly and a tack driver.

In the bolt gun platform you also have versatility with the Remington 700 platform. I was tempted to get a 700 SPS in .308 - throw it in an XLR Carbon chassis for improved ergos and the ability to use magazines.

It is hard to beat those staple .30 rounds - .308, .30-06 or .300 Win Mag. I only have experience with .308 but again that was in an AR10 platform (M110) but I have fired a decent amount of bolt guns and love it.

Its readily available, plenty of reloading data/components and will accomplish what you want it to.

Mosins are a cheaper, and effective alternative. Both in terms of weapon system and ammunition.

What ranges are you thinking you would be engaging at the max? A simple M4gery will slap gongs/punch paper at 200m but hunting/target engagement is a little of a different animal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I say the best rifle round is one which you can afford to shoot the most of.  In this case, the 5.56 and .308 will be the best bet depending what you want to happen on the receiving end of things.  Both can take down any wildlife in TN, and both can be had in bolt action; but it sounds like you would be better served by the .308.  Plenty of surplus ammo, reloading components and will reach out and touch at 600 yards easily.

• Like 1

.308 isn't bad as far as cost of ammo, in fact I'd say that it is cheaper than most anything in its class.  If you start chasing down the cheapest ammo you will drive yourself nuts trying to achieve accuracy.  If your goal is to make noise and send lead in the general direction of your target then cheap ammo is fine.  If you are trying to shoot tight groups anywhere past 50 yards, please buy decent ammo.  If you don't believe me after you buy a rifle get something cheap like Wolf or Monarch then buy some quality ammo, shoot a few 3 or 5 shot groups of each at 100 yards from a rest and see which groups better.  

A couple of notes on Mosins.  Yes, they are cheap and the surplus ammo is fairly cheap, though not as cheap as it used to be.  Any other 7.62x54R ammo is not cheap, and you will need it if you are shooting at game or going for accuracy.  A scope can be mounted to a Mosin but there really isn't a great way to do it.  Nothing wrong with a Mosin, 5 years ago they were a great value for what they are, with what they are going for today I would buy something better.

For traditional wood & steel and semiautomatic, the .308 Springfield M1A is a good candidate (as already mentioned). I think it shines best just sticking with its' excellent iron sights.

If not married to easy scoping, I bet you would enjoy one of the Civilian Marksmanship Program's M1 Garands. You can get them in either 30.06 or with a brand new Criterion .308 barrel.

If you want tiny little groups at distance a bolt action like the already mentioned Remington 700.

Until you get into reloading, you might want to look into buying FMJ in milsurp in bulk from one of the online outlets. Even with online bulk purchasing you will still be looking at around 50 cents each time you pull the trigger. Edited by Djay3

price wise, 308 is hard to beat.   Lots of cheap ammo out there for it.    Rifle ammo is pricey -- you want to save, you can do that with milsurp but the ammo is not always top notch, sometimes corrosive (depends on what era the gun and ammo are from), and often oddball (even obsolete).   I mean, my 7.65 arg can do anything a 308 can, but ammo is insane, hard to find, and a bit annoying to reload.  Nagant ammo was plentiful but the well WILL go dry (if it hasn't already) and most of the guns are in meh condition... you want a good quality gun for accuracy, and most are worn out.  Worse, nagant is "challenging" to reload ... most of the "brass" is primed wrong!  You start going bigger than 308 and the price goes up in general... 7 magnums and 400 stuff is extra expensive.   Down isn't as bad, 243, which is really a 308 with a smaller bullet, will go long range for cheap and mild recoil to boot, its excellent.  Several 25-30 ish rounds are really good, prices vary.

Ballistics wise,  there are literally hundreds of cartridges that will do 500 -750 or so yards very nicely.  You want more than that, you need to start being picky about it (??).   If you don't want to try for 1000+ yards,  then stick to ammo price / availability for sure as your #1 criteria.

Edited by Jonnin
I'll just reaffirm the 308 suggestions. I know you're not a fan, but I have a S&W M&P10 and am pleased as punch with it. Just something about a mag full of 25rds of 308 and the ability to drop them where you want them just a second or two apart makes me happy deep down inside!

However, when it comes to bolt guns I differ from most. I don't like the decades-long horror stories of Remington's 700 action AD'ing. Maybe it's just cuz there's so many, but I don't personally feel that's the case. I vote Savage 111/110 or Tikka T3.

Consider an M1A or perhaps an M1A Scout Squad.  I recently acquired one in Walnut and it's the bee's knees.  Haven't scoped it or reached out past 100 yards with irons yet but it is more than capable and I find myself questioning the need for any other rifles.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-scout-squad/

Never shot the scout, but I'd imagine the quality of the build is up there with the 16" SOCOM, which I couldn't get enough time behind when my two of my friends each had one. 

Also think the .308 meets the OP's needs.  Just too universally available at market rates in these crazy times to pass up. 

The 308 would be a great choice.  

Also, you mentioned wanting to reach out to 200 yards.  The 7.62 x 39 is less expensive than the 308.  It won't be accurate at 400-500 yards, though I think you would be fine at 200 yards and with deer type game at 150 hards.  The SKS and the AK 47s shoot this round.  I just got an unissued SKS for $430.  The round used by the SKS is very similar in ballistics to the 3030

t

You didn't mention a budget,  on the lower end, the SKS would be a good choice for the 7.62x39 for a lower budget.  

For the 308 another great rifle that costs less is the Savage 110 or 111 series - awesome trigger, very accurate and priced well.  I bought one that came with a scope mounted. Semi auto 308s start becoming expensive very quickly.

I found this graph this morning which might help you with the more popular long range trajectories, I agree 308 probably best, but its really up to you and what you want.  Now if you want to be a Seal sniper want to be, I read a lot of their books, that 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua might be what the doctor ordered:

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/trajectories_zpsvcomkxyz.jpg.html]trajectories_zpsvcomkxyz.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

.308 will do most everything you need it to.  If you're talking distances out past 600m, you're going to want something with a flatter trajectory.  Lotta good stuff out there that shoots flat, so the next question is how much kinetic energy do you want it to have that far out?  If you're shooting inside of 600m, .308 will not disappoint you so long as you're using decent ammo. 

AK or something that shoots the same round is a very inexpensive choice if you wanted only 200 or so yard range.   There are a few bolt guns, alternate semi autos (sk, ruger's mini, others) in the round as well.   Here again, brass cased ammo is less common so reloading is a bit annoying and range brass is all but nonexistent.  

IMHO I am going to have to agree that the .308 is what you are looking at.  .270 is also something to look at.  The Winchester ballistics calculator shows that the .270 is flatter than the .308 with more energy and velocity at 200 yards.  I shoot both and they are both great rounds, radially available and cheaper that the 7mm Rem Mag that I also shoot. 

• Like 2

Kevin,

Can you let us know a budget for the gun?  Also, I'm not clear from your post.  You talk about long range shooting, then reference 200 yards.

By long range shooting, did you mean 200 yards?  If not, how far?  

Getting a gun and scope that will be accurate at 400-500 yards would probably be best with a 308 bolt.  Past that you start talking real money and a strong commitment to training and practice.

If your goal is 200 yards with a round that would good for hunting out to 150 yards, then you have some less expensive options.

IMHO I am going to have to agree that the .308 is what you are looking at.  .270 is also something to look at.  The Winchester ballistics calculator shows that the .270 is flatter than the .308 with more energy and velocity at 200 yards.  I shoot both and they are both great rounds, radially available and cheaper that the 7mm Rem Mag that I also shoot. 

Yea, I use a .270, have done so for the past 30 years.  But I do not use it beyond zeroing and hunting.  The rounds are just too expensive and components like brass are hard (expensive) to come by, I have plenty but only because I have saved mine for the past 30 years.  If you can easily get reloading components then no problem for just about any caliber; that was one reason why I got my 300Blk, components were easily acquired so reloading costs were minimal.  One of the best things about my .270 is that around here if my crosshairs are on a deer, it will hit it.  In Colorado I have to hold over a bit, but due to the flat trajectory I am usually still able to see the animal in the scope.  With a .308 or 30/06 sometimes you have to put the crosshairs just above the animal on some longer range shots.  Myself, I limit my shots to no more than 400 yards max and have only taken such shots a couple of times due to terrain.  Most of my shots were within 200 yards in Colorado and 100 yards here.

for a bolt gun 6,5 CM. it was born winning 1000 yard matches. in a AR 15 platform 6.5 grendal all the stuff I read about it says it as good or better than a 308 out past 1000 yards, ammo for both is readily available not including wally world. 

the grendal round makes me think of a 6MM B.R.