Prototype for Hatchet Sheath - Suggestions?

I'm planning to make some belt sheaths for various hatchets and small axes and I made this prototype for my Wetterling's #115 Hunter's Hatchet.  I'm looking for some feedback on it, including suggestions for improving the design.  It's made with heavyweight saddle leather has a filler along the blade edge.  I'm thinking the belt loop on the back can be improved by sewing/riveting on a wider loop.  Any other thoughts? 

IMG_2306_zpsnzcp7tis.jpg

IMG_2304_zpseamp8uui.jpg

IMG_2305_zps3td86lt3.jpg

• Like 3

That designs in line with others I've seen pictured circa 1940's and later so its a proven commodity, The only thing I'd do from a safety standpoint is stitch a n extra layer of leather, kevlar or plastic into the face of the sheath.

• Like 1
Think about a design where the hatchet can simply be pulled down to unsheathe.

The whole undo the strap, push the handle up, grab the head, pull it up until there's enough handle showing to grasp, then pull it the rest of the way out method seems really ungainly. I seem to recall seeing a hatchet sheath where you just pulled the handle straight down, but I can't find it at the moment.
  • Like 1

The whole undo the strap, push the handle up, grab the head, pull it up until there's enough handle showing to grasp, then pull it the rest of the way out method seems really ungainly. I seem to recall seeing a hatchet sheath where you just pulled the handle straight down, but I can't find it at the moment.

I've seen those made with kydex and my SOG Voodoo Hawk has a unimpressive nylon verson.  I think it would be fairly easy to do, so I'll give one of those a shot today.  Thanks for the input!

EDIT:

Here is what I came up with.  Needs a couple of tweaks, but I think I'm on the right track:

VoodooHawk_Front_zps6ouf3drz.jpg

VoodooHawk_Front_Open_zpsjyjf3spo.jpg

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 3

I've seen those made with kydex and my SOG Voodoo Hawk has a unimpressive nylon verson. I think it would be fairly easy to do, so I'll give one of those a shot today. Thanks for the input!

Kydex with those high-end tomahawks. That's probably where I saw that.

I wonder if you could do it with Velcro along the bottom? Pull the handle rearward and down and the bottom corner of the blade would pull through the Velcro.
  • Like 1

Not a bad idea but - for a 'traditional' looking hatchet - I think I prefer the traditional look of the one the OP posted.  I see what you are saying about the draw being a little ungainly but - in my case - I don't see me needing to 'quick draw' a hatchet nor do I imagine I would be drawing/sheathing it enough times in a row for it to matter much to me.  Now, if I were carrying a tomahawk as a self defense option, etc. I would definitely want something 'quick draw'.

Of course, another way to solve the 'ungainly' problem while sticking with a more 'traditional' look would be to simply make a leather edge cover with a snap strap to hold it on and then actually carry the hatchet on the belt in a hammer ring.  Alternately, one could make a kydex edge cover, carry the hatchet in a hammer ring and tether the cover to the ring with paracord, etc. so that it will yank the cover off as the hatchet is drawn from the ring (sort of like those 'trigger guard' devices some people like to use in lieu of a holster for a firearm.)

Edited by JAB

On the more traditional one first shown I think it would be handy to have the belt loops attached with only a single rivet on the bottom with enough space to swivel a bit. That way it would be possible to sit down easily without taking it off. 

• Like 1

On the more traditional one first shown I think it would be handy to have the belt loops attached with only a single rivet on the bottom with enough space to swivel a bit. That way it would be possible to sit down easily without taking it off. 

That's a good idea.  I think one of the places I get my hardware from actually has some swivel hardware that would work for that. 

Not a bad idea but - for a 'traditional' looking hatchet - I think I prefer the traditional look of the one the OP posted. I see what you are saying about the draw being a little ungainly but - in my case - I don't see me needing to 'quick draw' a hatchet nor do I imagine I would be drawing/sheathing it enough times in a row for it to matter much to me. Now, if I were carrying a tomahawk as a self defense option, etc. I would definitely want something 'quick draw'.

Of course, another way to solve the 'ungainly' problem while sticking with a more 'traditional' look would be to simply make a leather edge cover with a snap strap to hold it on and then actually carry the hatchet on the belt in a hammer ring. Alternately, one could make a kydex edge cover, carry the hatchet in a hammer ring and tether the cover to the ring with paracord, etc. so that it will yank the cover off as the hatchet is drawn from the ring (sort of like those 'trigger guard' devices some people like to use in lieu of a holster for a firearm.)

Agreed. I've just always found the traditional axe sheath a really ungainly two-handed operation. Like whoever came up with it never actually used one.

I like your tethered snap-on blade cover with the handle through a simple hammer loop idea. Edited by peejman

Agreed. I've just always found the traditional axe sheath a really ungainly two-handed operation. Like whoever came up with it never actually used one.

I like your tethered snap-on blade cover with the handle through a simple hammer loop idea.

The version I came up with can be done with one hand.  You unsnap the strap and then with the open back, you can rotate the hatchet out of the sheath by rocking the handle forward. 

• Like 1