22LR ammo....now if the price will just drop!!!

You are correct sir, about the GB and GOA sites. they pretty much gouge on everything, guns included IMHO. But actually, my point was that this site used to say "sold out" practically from top to bottom of that list. Now they all say "In Stock", or did when I posted, and I haven't seen that in a couple of years. The prices are less than they were 18 months ago, but now with availability being what it is, I'm hoping the prices will fall like a rock. 

• Like 2

prices will come down but they will never be low like they use to be. the factory found out people will pay the higher price for 22 lr ammo.  look at the fools that paid the "scalpers"  price.  they kept scalping going on for sometime.  

• Like 1

prices will come down but they will never be low like they use to be. the factory found out people will pay the higher price for 22 lr ammo.  look at the fools that paid the "scalpers"  price.  they kept scalping going on for sometime.  

that's very true. I'm hoping that there's enough people that have horded so much of it that it begins to sit on the shelf. Prices on centerfire has dropped back to near normal prices and the shelves are full. Maybe 22 is not far behind. We'll see.

• Like 1

But if supply is plentiful, people will NOT be happy paying a higher price.  The laws of supply and demand will determine the proper price in time.

Supply and demand will play a role; however, people have become accustom to paying more for 22lr (and there are a lot of new buyers that really don't have the historical perspective).  I imagine CCI Mini Mags will forever cost 7-8c+ (not that you can even find it for that now).

• Like 1

From my experience buying lately, 7 to 10 cents per round, then shipping on top of that.

I have bought CCI and Federal Target for 7 and 8 cents respectively, but then see anywhere from 8 to 15 added in shipping charges.

If I could get more than a 1/2 box purchase locally(like several of our guys who pass stores frequently), I'd do that.

But still easier to buy on line in bulk. And I haven't gotten to the 17 to 24 cents/round yet, but I'm not looking for the precision stuff.

I don't think the factories have raised prices much more than natural inflation.  Prices go up every year...without fail.  Since .22 has not been readily available for close to 3 years now it's hard to truly gauge.

But I do know this. Academy and WalMart have not seen any increases attributable to anything more than yearly hikes.  For example,  Acadamy still sells Federal Automatch 325 rnd boxes for $17.99, WalMart sells them for $18.97 I believe.  That's not a whole lot more than a couple of years ago.

You can thank DEALERS and the umpteen middlemen in between the factory and them, and of course those who pay the absurd prices for the problem.

• Like 3

I don't go out and search on a regular basis, so I have yet to see Federal boxes at Wally World or Academy. The last I bought ran me 18.99 each. I really didn't like it, but I did go for it. I bought 10 boxes.

Edited by hipower
In the last month I have bought Federal 50rd and CCI Blazer 50 rd boxes at $2.29 each, CCI Standard Velocity at $3.49, Federal Automatch 325 at $17.99, and 500 Remington Thunderturds at $21.99. That tells me the factories have not raised their pricing to meet the gougers.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
When my wife started shooting she started on a Walther p22; it would not reliably cycle bulk .22

Consequently, I bought "high line" CCI in the clear acrylic box....I swear I was paying about $5/50 for "good" .22lr

I know the box of Aquila 60gr sub sonic I traded to Dolo was 4.99 / 50 (price was still on the box)

It's pretty good ammo. I've bought some when at that or lower. I have seen it at 30+ a box of 325 plus shipping. That I did avoid.

I do try to buy a little when I find 22. I prefer CCI, Federal, and have started trying the Aquila.

All my 22s seem to like those 3.

As far as price, if I locate bulk at 6 cents or less a round, that's where I buy. I don't see it getting any cheaper.

• Like 1
I still don't see it at wallyworld, but then again I don't go often. I have enough to be happy. I guess I just don't get it at all. It's not a great game round(besides rabbits and squirrels), it's not a great defense round, and truthfully, it's not a great training round. Without recoil and not being able to throw down 300-400 yard shots, I just don't understand why a plinking round is so hoarded. Academy is my go to place. I can usually grab what I need there. Although Musicman and I met in a Wally World while we were looking for ammo. Haha

Academy is my go to place. I can usually grab what I need there. Although Musicman and I met in a Wally World while we were looking for ammo. Haha

Yup! Long time no see, dude!

As to the price of 22, I've bought over 1500 rds under 5 cents a pop in the last month. :)

I still don't see it at wallyworld, but then again I don't go often. I have enough to be happy. I guess I just don't get it at all. It's not a great game round(besides rabbits and squirrels), it's not a great defense round, and truthfully, it's not a great training round. Without recoil and not being able to throw down 300-400 yard shots, I just don't understand why a plinking round is so hoarded. Academy is my go to place. I can usually grab what I need there. Although Musicman and I met in a Wally World while we were looking for ammo. Haha

I've bought some 9 and 45 at WallyWorld a couple of times. But 22? I haven't gotten any there in 2 years.

I'm not so sure we'll ever see 22lr for less than 6 cents a round again.

Yeah, you're right. Lately 7 cents plus shipping is what I'm finding.

And the Cabela's and Palmetto State 22 has been 10+ and shipping on that.