Disabled wheelchair user holster ideas

Hello folks, I am now in a wheelchair, been disabled since '07 and fighting this wheelchair business til it finally won, and am needing ideas for a more comfortable holster or concealed carry ideas please. Right now I am carrying OWB but as far toward the front as possible due to the sides on my chair making it very hard to get my pistol in and out of the holster. I am a little on the heavy side, am right handed and at the present time carrying my Taurus 738 TCP. I have tried a "fanny type" bag and it does work but due to me carrying things on my lap it's kinda hard to get to quickly. Also, I'm wanting to start carrying either my Bersa Thunder UC 40 or my S&W SD40. I did order a shoulder holster from Amazon, just a cheapo $29.95 one, to try out but it hasn't arrived yet. Do any of you wonderful folks either know someone who carries and is in a chair or are you in a chair and have found something that works well? If so, please share.

I have thought about maybe finding, or having one made, a bag type deal that attaches to the wheelchair someway, maybe with velcro? The only thing with this idea is I think anybody could come up and just jerk it off the chair, say if I'm in a conversation with somone, looking at hot rods at a car show, etc etc and have my attention distracted. It would only take a second and the bag, gun and it's contents would be gone or even worse, me be gone. Anyway, Thank y'all in advance for any help on my situation.

You can legally open carry in this state so why not attach the holster to the chair and not worry about hiding your gun because you will be in your chair. Now if you spend any amount of time outside of your wheelchair you might consider having it on your person. An option you may not have thought about is a shoulder holster.

Maybe you can strategically place a couple of these on your chair:  http://www.amazon.com/Tac-Mag-Gun-Magnet-25-Rating/dp/B00LR454YU You can place a cover over it to conceal it from view yet be able to retrieve it quite nicely.  You can possibly find a good spot for it where someone would have to really intrude on your personal space to get there hands on it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe you can strategically place a couple of these on your chair:  http://www.amazon.com/Tac-Mag-Gun-Magnet-25-Rating/dp/B00LR454YU You can place a cover over it to conceal it from view yet be able to retrieve it quite nicely.  You can possibly find a good spot for it where someone would have to really intrude on your personal space to get there hands on it.

Good idea, Thank you!!

You might shoot this guy a PM...  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/62074-my-wheel-chair-holster-mountadded-open-gun-mount/

As for the bag type thing, you might find a way to attach something like this to your chair.  http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/

Thanks for the link and the contact info, that feller gives me inspiration. I am gonna PM him if for nothing else but to make a new friend.

You can legally open carry in this state so why not attach the holster to the chair and not worry about hiding your gun because you will be in your chair. Now if you spend any amount of time outside of your wheelchair you might consider having it on your person. An option you may not have thought about is a shoulder holster.

Thanks Dolomite, I have a shoulder holster ordered and am checking in on the magnet type holder.

If the sholder holster doesn't work for you, what about a cross draw holster? I'm thinking that might be a little easier to reach than a OWB while seated.

I have looked on You Tube and really like the cross draw type but I have one "large" problem, my big fat belly. I have gained some weight since my accident and am working on slimming down. Thanks for the idea though.

I have been doing some more research online and ran across this feller, http://www.scotworksllc.com/index.html . I like the concept a lot but don't know if it would limit my carry choices or not. I have several, several handguns and like to rotate carrying them. I don't have specific holsters for each gun as I am using a "pouch" type holster right now until my shoulder holster comes in, which is suppose to fit several different guns. What are ya'll's opinion on this setup?