Glasses in SHTF Situation - Zenni

As I have read in many other posts in this section, glasses are a key part of or survival preparedness in any situation. I try to keep a spare set in the truck, my BOB and one at work. As anyone with glasses knows this can get expensive, and if you are talking about the long haul in hazardous situations you need multiple pair.

I recently purchased a pair of glasses from Zenni Optical. The price was $76.78 with the best lenses, best coating, nice frames, two sets of clip on sunshades and all the bells and whistles. This would have cost me over 300 at Wally World. I was skeptical, but when they arrived, I could see great out of them and they have held up to my 2 year old wearing them.

$76.78 is still a good chunk of change if you want 4 pair as back ups, so I logged on and bought a pair for as cheep as I could. This was the result.

2034ad7ea1bd4cc3a590cf4e66207948_zpsbgaj

I had a pair of glasses shipped to my house for $16.85 that I can see great out of. If would have bought multiple pairs at one time shipping would have been the same. I you need to add to glasses to you survival preparedness supply, or just buy new glasses, I highly recommend Zenni optical.

Full disclosure, their factories are located in other countries, but if I am in a situation where glasses will no longer be made, I need to be able to see.

• Like 6

One good reason why I want to get Lasik.  Being 40 though, I will most likely need readers immediately afterward.  It's a trade off I guess.

I agree, but some one I know had it done and they needed glasses with two years. I need to do more research before I pull the trigger.

I'd love to do this but my astigmatism changes every couple of years.  Old glasses are a step above useless.  Corrective surgery is NOT an option.  Too many horror stories of laser gone wrong.  My wife's aunt sees worse now than she did before the surgery.  

I'd love to do this but my astigmatism changes every couple of years.  Old glasses are a step above useless.  Corrective surgery is NOT an option.  Too many horror stories of laser gone wrong.  My wife's aunt sees worse now than she did before the surgery.  

Having astigmatism and being farsighted is really begining to take a toll on the quality of my vision. All the prescription glasses that I've tried over the last 30 plus years have sucked, so for the longest time I've gotten by with readers. But over the last couple of years I struggle with them too....  

My problem is I wear progressives (sucks getting old) and those aren't cheap. The one pair I have now were close to $600. That's too expensive to buy multiple pairs. The good thing is I will purchase a new pair the first of the year and I think these are still good enough to work as a back up.

I also am on the record as loving clip on sunshades! I buy them at Sam's and Walmart and they run about $18 a pair. Can't beat that for sun glasses. :)

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

One good reason why I want to get Lasik.  Being 40 though, I will most likely need readers immediately afterward.  It's a trade off I guess.

I had Lasik about ten years ago  at age 50 and did need readers as soon as the bandages came off. No change in my vision since then. Well worth it, think I've saved the cost in eye exams and contacts.

• Like 1
You should check zenni. My progressives were less than $100

My problem is I wear progressives (sucks getting old) and those aren't cheap. The one pair I have now were close to $600. That's too expensive to buy multiple pairs. The good thing is I will purchase a new pair the first of the year and I think these are still good enough to work as a back up.

I also am on the record as loving clip on sunshades! I buy them at Sam's and Walmart and they run about $18 a pair. Can't beat that for sun glasses. :)

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Zenni does do progressives and the clips on I got from them were less than $4. I don't know how much less progressive are, but I am sure they will not be 600. Edited by Odessa7979
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just an update. I ordered two pair... one wireless frame and one sunglass metal frame from Zenni for about $30 apiece. The quality was as good as my regular eyeglass purchases locally. I'm pretty rough on glasses, but they have held up extremely well over the past four months. I just ordered a couple more pair. There's a coupon for 10% off SIGNUP10 that works. Again, my cost for a single vision sunglasses were $28 and $33 apiece. 

• Like 1

I can see going with Zenni for a standard prescription and maybe even bifocals but I wear trifocals and there's a certain level of measurement involved in getting the lenses lined up correctly. Most likely I'll be having cataract surgery in about a year or so which will probably leave me with a pair of reading glasses.  

• 1 month later...