Youth 3 gun and BR

My 13 yr old son said he wanted to try some competition shooting. We have never been to any kind of event. Mainly shooting off the back porch and enjoying life that way. For the past several yrs he has got a firearm for Christmas. Think I'll keep that a family tradition. Just curious where there are events where I can get him started. I suppose most youth would be .22 long in 3 gun, I haven't a clue. He has mentioned BR as he is fascinated with a 1000 yrd shot, but I explained he has to take baby steps. Any advice is appreciated

JMHO......,

I would start him in something like the Steel Matches that MCTS run in Dickson.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/92336-mcts-outlaw-steel-match-saturday-11212015/

He'll be able to see how a match is conducted while under the control and direction of a Safety/Range Officer.

Also, nothing works better to lock in your shooting than going against steel.  The steel being hit is an instantaneous feedback that everything worked (sight alignment-sight picture-trigger press).   

3Gun by its nature is a very challenging sport.  You have be well trained and experienced in three very different types of firearms to be successful.  A young/new shooter can be quickly overwhelmed and frustrated if they are not well practiced and trained in the fundamentals of "running the gun." 

You might also consider checking out an IDPA match.  Manchester might be one near you.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/92271-idpa-1122-mtsc-manchester/

AND....., if he is really interested in long range shooting checkout NRA F Class as conducted by Mid-South Marksman at the Arnold Engineering Development Center (AEDC) range, in Tullahoma 

http://www.midsouthmarksmen.com/

Be Safe!

• Like 1

JMHO......,

I would start him in something like the Steel Matches that MCTS run in Dickson.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/92336-mcts-outlaw-steel-match-saturday-11212015/

He'll be able to see how a match is conducted while under the control and direction of a Safety/Range Officer.

Also, nothing works better to lock in your shooting than going against steel.  The steel being hit is an instantaneous feedback that everything worked (sight alignment-sight picture-trigger press).   

3Gun by its nature is a very challenging sport.  You have be well trained and experienced in three very different types of firearms to be successful.  A young/new shooter can be quickly overwhelmed and frustrated if they are not well practiced and trained in the fundamentals of "running the gun." 

You might also consider checking out an IDPA match.  Manchester might be one near you.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/92271-idpa-1122-mtsc-manchester/

AND....., if he is really interested in long range shooting checkout NRA F Class as conducted by Mid-South Marksman at the Arnold Engineering Development Center (AEDC) range, in Tullahoma 

http://www.midsouthmarksmen.com/

Be Safe!

I will look into steel matches, he would be proud to do any of it. The deal between 3 gun and BR is, it could be done with items available with a lil more time spent learning. For BR, 7-08 that could get to 600 but not 1000. Do have a 338 Lapua, but he would be hurting after day, he's small frame skinny boy.

I am not anywhere near an expert and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but what I did with my now 14 year old son goes like this...... I started with him working with a Glock 17 dry fire drills here at the house with his own gear........ then after he did all the reloads and sub-conscious movements, I took him to the range to work on drills of marksmanship and then shooting on the move...... Once I felt that he could comfortably shoot a match, I took him to some local IDPA matches.  Then I repeated the steps with an AR then with a shotgun....... Shotgun tends to be a little more difficult for him, me and most other folks who shoot 3 gun..........     I hope this helps, and a further comment is; that I have had more fun watching my son mature in this sport and assisting him in matches than I do shooting it.  But the competitive side in me can't wait till he gets good enough to best me.  

RB

Are you referring to Bench Rest when you use "BR?"

Have you or your son had any formal firearm training?

Yes on bench rest.

Are you referring to safety or the math on training.

Safety comes first and I stress it everyday.

As for the math end of shooting I'm self talt and do prurdy good, could always do better. I do reload and have a game plan before I walk in the door. I make sure I have time without interruption. I don't have the nicest room or all the bells and whistles.

IMG_20151123_192128296_zpseqt9nqsi.jpg Edited by 70Stingray

I am not anywhere near an expert and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but what I did with my now 14 year old son goes like this...... I started with him working with a Glock 17 dry fire drills here at the house with his own gear........ then after he did all the reloads and sub-conscious movements, I took him to the range to work on drills of marksmanship and then shooting on the move...... Once I felt that he could comfortably shoot a match, I took him to some local IDPA matches.  Then I repeated the steps with an AR then with a shotgun....... Shotgun tends to be a little more difficult for him, me and most other folks who shoot 3 gun..........     I hope this helps, and a further comment is; that I have had more fun watching my son mature in this sport and assisting him in matches than I do shooting it.  But the competitive side in me can't wait till he gets good enough to best me.  
RB

Exactly what I have on my mind.

I would highly recommend that you and your son attend a Project Appleseed event.  I know that these clinics have been held at AEDC in Tullahoma, but check the link below for locations and dates.

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Appleseed is a rifle marksmanship training program that focuses on standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone positions over a two day weekend shooting clinic.  These are the bed-rock shooting skills that will follow you for a lifetime.  Since you son is 13 and as you have said a "small frame skinny boy" now is the time to build the foundation of marksmanship that he will grow into as a young man.  Be it Bench Rest, 3Gun, FClass, IDPA, etc., etc., Appleseed will provide the best building blocks to enter into those competitive sports. 

I have personally witnessed 12-13 year olds start with an Appleseed clinic who are now giving us "Seasoned & Experienced" shooters a run for the money in just a couple of years.

I would highly recommend that you and your son attend a Project Appleseed event.  I know that these clinics have been held at AEDC in Tullahoma, but check the link below for locations and dates.

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Appleseed is a rifle marksmanship training program that focuses on standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone positions over a two day weekend shooting clinic.  These are the bed-rock shooting skills that will follow you for a lifetime.  Since you son is 13 and as you have said a "small frame skinny boy" now is the time to build the foundation of marksmanship that he will grow into as a young man.  Be it Bench Rest, 3Gun, FClass, IDPA, etc., etc., Appleseed will provide the best building blocks to enter into those competitive sports. 

I have personally witnessed 12-13 year olds start with an Appleseed clinic who are now giving us "Seasoned & Experienced" shooters a run for the money in just a couple of years.

I will definitely get in touch with them.

I'm going to plan on going to a few events and watch what goes on. That can give us an idea of how things work. No way I could show up without him having a understanding of how the day goes. On a good note, I ordered him a semi auto shotgun today for Christmas.