A cold day - perfect chance to heat up the boomstick at the range

cj0e

So, I've been building this for a while - finally made it to the range to test it out.

Specs:

Barreled action is bone-stock taken off a Savage 10fp in .308 win. 24" barrel, accutrigger

Bolted directly into a KRG Alpha 180 stock

Accurate Mag 10rd magazine

Burris XTRii 3-15x50 SCR-Mil

Weaver 20moa base

Harris Bipod up front, in Krylon OD green

Ammo was rolled up by a buddy - 41.6gr h4895 175gr nosler hpbt 2.800 COL

EgXUsdj.jpg?1

Took it out to the range to get some time behind it and get my initial feelings on it.

Where it excels:

Comfort - jeez this thing fits me like a glove. Small palm swells, perfectly straight and smooth front strap on the grip, panels are perfectly grippy.

Flex - next to none. Didn't have a good way to load the bipod, and sitting had some bounce. Expect it to be problem free when prone

Recoil - low. Very manageable. The stock isn't that heavy, nor is the barreled action. It's definitely not super light though, I'm not walking through the woods all day with this one unless I absolutely have to.

OgT71mf.jpg

Where it needed work:

Feeding - the magazine needed some tweaks, burrs on the feed lips were sanded off, the feed lips needed slight spreading, and the follower had to be lightly adjusted for the last round. After those, no problems whatsoever

Reaching the safety - wasn't as easy in this stock as in the factory tupperware. Not extreme, but was a bit of a stretch.

Elevation adjustment - going to have to reset the zero stop on the scope, factory is set (per the manual) 20 moa below center, I'll need to adjust that out, or remove the 20moa rail. Probably don't need the rail, what with the amount of adjustment available (over 30mil)

Where I need work:

RI7ghDp.jpg?1

About .75moa, if you don't count the flyer. Shot six 5 shot groups, all just like it. Didn't bother with trying to zero the scope, was on paper and wanted to see what it could do. Every time I pulled the 5th shot of the group. Note to self - slow down, follow through, stop rushing to get up on the last shot. Also, might do a little better without gloves. Just enough wind to nip at my fingers, so they were on from the start.

Finally, it was a lovely clear cool day, and now it's a great clear cool night.

xhSNTcl.jpg

If you don't want to go out and see it yourself, there's the moon. Shot with a Nikon D3100 and a Tamron 70-300. 1/40s f32 from my backyard. Not the best pic ever, had a bit of fog on the lens because I wasn't waiting for the lens to acclimate. T-shirts and 30-something degrees. Brr.

• Like 9

Gorgeous build! Reminds me of why I can't own a bolt gun... expensive taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, it wasn't too terrible, to start.

barreled action 450

choate stock 200 (replaced this option with KRG - 800)

primary arms 4x14x40 mil mil 280 (Replaced with Burris - 850)

warne maxima 50 (yeah, honestly I haven't found better rings. Lighter, but not better)

weaver rail 20

(add bipod)

1000 -> 2280

But I had a case of "expensive taste" as well, and the costs jumped significantly. And I still need to get a rear QD point and a sling, and might eventually get a GG&G or Atlas bipod

Edited by cj0e
  • Like 1

Thanks for the praise guys and gals, guess it did turn out pretty slick.  :cool:  Gonna get some black satin krylon for the bipod this weekend - if I can bring myself to brave the madness.

Next step will be barrel threading. Gotta find someone local, really not terribly keen on shipping the barrel. This was about a year in the making, from inception (seeing the early prototypes from KRG) till completion (if it can ever actually be "complete").

@mrsmonkeyman2500 - Is that the .308 semi auto that's in the works? Take pics as you go along. Wish I had, would've been fun to document the whole build. Now I'd have to tear it down just to pretend!

@mrsmonkeyman2500 - Is that the .308 semi auto that's in the works? Take pics as you go along. Wish I had, would've been fun to document the whole build. Now I'd have to tear it down just to pretend!

Yep, sure is, but Mr. Monkey is going to be doing it for himself. We just finished an AR for me. 

[URL=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/predsgirl33/media/IMG_0582_zpshpczsmrq.jpg.html]IMG_0582_zpshpczsmrq.jpg[/URL]

I named her Olive Oyl. It's good luck to name things right? LOL I told him what you said. He has a long way to go. He ordered his rifle today but he's going to be making so many changes he will have his work cut out!

• Like 1

Nice! How well does the magpul match the cerakote? Looks good in the pic.

How do you like the magpul sling? Is that the newer MS3? Played with the polymer catch? I didn't like the old version too much, buddy had one and it rattled a bit.

What trigger is that? ALG?

Nice! How well does the magpul match the cerakote? Looks good in the pic.

How do you like the magpul sling? Is that the newer MS3? Played with the polymer catch? I didn't like the old version too much, buddy had one and it rattled a bit.

What trigger is that? ALG?

Yep! ALG. Good eye. My goodness. As for the sling, it's Magpull, I just don't know which one, I grabbed the box. It was that or a made in china BS $15 one. I oppted for $50 and not smashing my chest just to get the gun around me. So I went with it. It is the MS3 Gen 2. As for liking it, it is nice, I don't like how it blocks my hand. I have to figure out a way to make it fit better than it does. If I didn't have a good grip and needed to fire I would be in trouble. So I am going to work on that part. This one has no rattle. I think I need to shorten it a bit and reposition it and then it might be good. But what I really need is field time down in the bowl to test fire it and see what works. The weathers been so cold we haven't gone down the hill.

Yep! ALG. Good eye. My goodness. As for the sling, it's Magpull, I just don't know which one, I grabbed the box. It was that or a made in china BS $15 one. I oppted for $50 and not smashing my chest just to get the gun around me. So I went with it. It is the MS3 Gen 2. As for liking it, it is nice, I don't like how it blocks my hand. I have to figure out a way to make it fit better than it does. If I didn't have a good grip and needed to fire I would be in trouble. So I am going to work on that part. This one has no rattle. I think I need to shorten it a bit and reposition it and then it might be good. But what I really need is field time down in the bowl to test fire it and see what works. The weathers been so cold we haven't gone down the hill.

hah, yeah, there's only a few triggers that have that nifty silvery sheen. Lucky guess.

Thanks for the heads up on the sling, look forward to hearing how the range day goes, once it isn't quite so frigid.

• Like 1

hah, yeah, there's only a few triggers that have that nifty silvery sheen. Lucky guess.

Thanks for the heads up on the sling, look forward to hearing how the range day goes, once it isn't quite so frigid.

Sorry for the backwards I don't know, then knowing. I had a long day of driving. I type crazy when tired. Hopefully this weekend is a lie and it doesn't rain! I'm dying to shoot. Especially Olive Oyl! :)

Beautiful gun.  You might have just put another project on my "To Do List" if I ever get the funding for it. 

Stones River is where you shot it at, right?

Bingo. Don't have easy access to land, and haven't ponied up for a membership at a range yet. It's not too bad out there; and as public ranges go it's nice to have the RSO's watching out for people being rather unsafe.

Bingo. Don't have easy access to land, and haven't ponied up for a membership at a range yet. It's not too bad out there; and as public ranges go it's nice to have the RSO's watching out for people being rather unsafe.

If you're just looking for a place to dial in a long gun. test various ammo loads, or just get in some practice, Stones River is as good a place as any.

I'll keep an eye out for the sweet gun on a green bipod when I go next time!