Just picked up a new Range Finder

http://www.sigoptics.com/rangefinders-overview/

I picked it up a Royal Range.  FYI: They have great prices on most of their inventory.

It bosts the ability to range reflective targets to 3,400yds! - trees to 1,500yds, and deer to 1,200yds.   - we'll see.

In the 5min I had to play with it, it was fantastic. 

Price was $415 

PS: I also got a first look through Sig's "Whiskey" hunting optic.   super-duper glass!e

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded for a small laser range finder to make range cards for the stands I plan to bow hunt from.  I verified ranges up to 100 yards and it was pretty accurate, but other than that I haven't used it.  What would you range at that distance?

^^ Anything I can?  

Seriously,  since this is a brand new piece of kit from a brand new division of Sig..... with great "specs" for the price, I thought I would be the guinea pig for us all and try it out.

Since I have been in the market for a range finder for a while, I was going to spend any money on a range finder, it was going to be one that I could range up to and beyond 1,00yds.  (to date, my farthest long distance hit on target was 900yds)    This range finder... for what it does and the price at which it was offered, was something I just didn't want to pass up.  - ranged a tree this evening at 928yds.  

I also have a Vortex 8x R/T monocular with a range finding reticle.  Now I can double check my range estimates as I work on that skill.

I also like taking dope on my gun and am usually not at a "standard" range, so I have to set up my own targets.  This lets make made dope at non-standard distances.  etc, etc, etc...

Review so far: 

1) It struggles (as I guess all laser range finders do) at ranging any flat object that is ~30deg or more out of square to the range finder.

2) The "Auto" brightness feature doesn't work too well.

3) the brightest light on a white target in afternoon sun doesn't show up.  They need to put a green reticle option in the next version.