What's the best way to separate brass from SS media?

Magnet is painful as primary tool and you never get all the SS pins.  Remaining pins will be found at your deprime station and that will gum up the works.  You may want to experience all of this by trial and error, but I've done a lot of that for you already.

• Like 1

For what it's worth I deprime prior to tumbling as well as hand prime. I'm not really finding a lot of pins in my cookie trays after drying. Getting the water, brass, and pin mixture separated is thus far proving to be the pain. Here is my process and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.  

After tumbling is complete I pull a side off the drum and install a folded tee shirt with magnets inside that is held in place with a hose clamp. I then dump as much water out as possible.  The brass and pins are still contained within the drum with a minimal amount of water. From here I dump the mixed brass and pins into a plastic tray used for mixing concrete and use a magnet to sort out the pins. My current magnet is very small and takes a probably 15 minutes.  Once the brass is mostly free of pins I put the brass on cookie trays to dry in the oven set at 170 for about 15 minutes.    

Am I going about this all wrong?

Edited by ehull20000
  • 4 weeks later...

I just use a fine-mesh colander.

I set a colander inside of a shallow bucket full of water while keeping water running into the bucket. I then agitate the cases by hand under the water. Plenty of water keeps the pins from sticking to the brass and the pins fall right thru.

I also use a mesh strainer to remove all of the dirty water and then again to pour all of the pins in after separating. Edited by netmindr
The most efficient way to do this is with a rotary separator. I like the Dillon the best. I poor out all the dirty water I can from the drum into a utility sink then I head outside. Pour the brass and pins into the basket on the separator and start rinsing with a hose pipe. Keep rinsing until the water level gets above the lowest part of the basket. Then you can start rotating the basket, and the water in the tub will quickly separate the pins and keep them from slinging out of the basket. I usually dump the brass into a kitchen strainer and do a final rinse, then sit them out to dry.