Slow Poke Law

NextExit

http://www.wsmv.com/story/30617736/slow-poke-law-would-ticket-tn-drivers-sitting-in-fast-lane

Ticket TN drivers sitting in the left lane... just TN drivers?  How about the Floridian that likes to hang out in the left lane doing 52 in a 70 with the left blinker on?  PLEASE tell me you'll finally pull them over!  And what about the camper-hauling Canadians that love to sit in the middle lane doing 55 making everyone pass on the left & right?  I think this lawmaker just wants his name on some legislation.  I agree this will just tie up the courts. :squint:

• Like 1
I hope it passes. It's not a drivers responsibility to slow down other drivers. If your not passing get out of the passing lane, all you're doing is making the flow of traffic worse and travel more dangerous by forcing people to pass on the right. And traveling to slow is just as dangerous as to fast.

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 1
People think it's their right to drive slower than normal. What they need to be made to understand is, You DONT have a right to inconvenience others around you. Not keeping with the flow of traffic is just as deadly as some mad speedster. Doesn't matter what the actual speed is.
  • Like 6

I like to ride the middle lane of a three lane expressway.  I normally run 5 to 7 miles over the posted speed limit in them.  I suppose if I was going to popped for that it would have already happened. I see them running radar on 640 almost daily and I don't hit the brakes.

Drives me nuts when someone is going slower than me in the far left lane.  That and the slow running bubble of cars if there is a cop driving.  People act terrified to pass them.

That has been a "rule" of the road for some time now, but I don't think it should be a law.  Some PSA commercials, more "slow traffic keep right" signs should be used instead.  There are times I stay on the left lane until someone comes up behind me, but some go so fast, and I travel 5 over, that they feel they must pass on the right not giving me time to move over.

Using the same logic as others as mentioned, wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle is fair (wait that is a law in TN); wearing a seatbelt while driving is fair (wait that is a law in TN); keeping safety mechanisms on guns is fair I(well not a law yet); and on and on..........................I just don't like it when the government gets involved with "my" freedoms.   If you don't like it, learn patience.

Let me see the interstates have been around 50+ years, and this now has bubbled up as a need..................really, we have bigger fish to fry.

I like to ride the middle lane of a three lane expressway.  I normally run 5 to 7 miles over the posted speed limit in them.  I suppose if I was going to popped for that it would have already happened. I see them running radar on 640 almost daily and I don't hit the brakes.

Drives me nuts when someone is going slower than me in the far left lane.  That and the slow running bubble of cars if there is a cop driving.  People act terrified to pass them.

In my head I have a little rhyme of 8 your great and 9 your mine.... So I try to limit myself to 7 or 8 max over....

People think it's their right to drive slower than normal. What they need to be made to understand is, You DONT have a right to inconvenience others around you. Not keeping with the flow of traffic is just as deadly as some mad speedster. Doesn't matter what the actual speed is.

They will pull you over and ticket you for obstructing the flow of traffic in Southern California for not keeping up with the flow. I've seen it done. The speed limit is 55 for trucks, 65 for everything else. Traffic usually is either at a stand still or flowing somewhere north of 80 mph in all 16 lanes (8 each direction ) keep up or you'll either get a ticket or get run over.

Sent from behind the anvil

These drivers are a PITA, but just last night I had someone pull the 'ol pass me in the left lane, then exit the road we're on right in front of me rather than fall in behind me and THEN exit.....and we are the only two cars on the road. 

Them folks make me go WTF

I guess I am one of the guys that piss folks off but I do it from the right lane. I never drive in the left lane on any divided highway or interstate and I will try to maintain between 55 and 60 MPH. I obey the signs that says "Slower traffic keep right' but there seems to always be someone run up behind me and then tailgate me for a mile or so before passing me. I guess they think I am going to speed up but I don't. These days I am not in a big hurry to get anywhere so I try to go in off peak traffic times and I drive my speeds I drive. On two lane highways I will always try and maintain the posted speed limits............. :shrug:

These drivers are a PITA, but just last night I had someone pull the 'ol pass me in the left lane, then exit the road we're on right in front of me rather than fall in behind me and THEN exit.....and we are the only two cars on the road. 

Yea, I get a lot of that on my way to work.  I can get a new truck at least once a week.

• Like 1

I hope that it passes but if they are going to enforce this like they enforce the HOV lane then I really don't care.  I travel 40 most everyday during HOV hours and there are more single occupant cars than multiple occupant cars.  While we are on the issue of pet peeves I can't stand it when I'm on the interstate with my cruise control set and the same car passes me and I pass them 6 times or more within a 50 mile stretch.  Usually they are messing with their phone when I pass them back and I may even make it difficult for them when they want to pass me. 

• Like 1
t's called impeding traffic and its been around in other states for years. I would take out a driver impeding traffic over a 10 MPH speeder any day. If you aren't moving with the flow of traffic get over in the right lane where you belong. It causes people to start jockeying for position to get around someone blocking traffic; and has more potential to cause an accident.

The other thing that gets me is that some of them are just inconsiderate azzhats that get to cause a problem; but many of them are talking on a cell phone and are completely oblivious to whats going on around them. $50 isn't enough though; those people should get a ticket that hurts.

It's a shame that there have to be laws that make people comply with whats right. Think how much less stress there would be in the world if people drove with courtesy and respect for other drivers. :)
  • Like 1

I drive from north of Nashville to Cool Springs three days a week. I make it a point to move all the way over to the left lane as soon as get onto I-65 South. The reason is that there are crazy drivers zigging left and right to pass cars in the other lanes. At least in the left lane, I can only get hit from a driver on the right instead of having both sides exposed. I typically go 70 to 75... but slower if that's the flow of traffic.

One night I'm on the same I-65 Southbound in the left lane and some jerk gets on my bumper and starts flashing his brights at me. There is a car 60 feet in front of me! And that car is on the bumper of the car in front of it... and so on as far as I could see. How is passing me going to get him anywhere any faster? I just ignored him. 

t's called impeding traffic and its been around in other states for years. I would take out a driver impeding traffic over a 10 MPH speeder any day. If you aren't moving with the flow of traffic get over in the right lane where you belong. It causes people to start jockeying for position to get around someone blocking traffic; and has more potential to cause an accident.

The other thing that gets me is that some of them are just inconsiderate azzhats that get to cause a problem; but many of them are talking on a cell phone and are completely oblivious to whats going on around them. $50 isn't enough though; those people should get a ticket that hurts.

It's a shame that there have to be laws that make people comply with whats right. Think how much less stress there would be in the world if people drove with courtesy and respect for other drivers. :)

The problem is that there are quite a few more speedsters out there than slow pokes.  And I'm not talking of those 10 or less MPH over the limit, these guys blow by me at least 10-20 faster than my limit of 5 over.  And many times they will cut me off getting in front of me because it turns out the left is not moving as fast as they thought.

sort of off topic but what bothers me most is the drunk drivers I see on 640, usually at least once a week.  Well I assume they are impaired.  Swerving back and forth hitting the lines on either side of their vehicle. And it is almost always at the Broadway on ramp on my way home from work around 10:30 at night.  There is some large country music bar close to that ramp. I have seen two this week so far.  If they are not lit up they are the worlds worst drivers.   Just last night there was a newish Camaro entering the expressway there.  I am in the middle lane doing 62 mph on cruise control.  He gets right off my right rear bumper in the right lane.  Weaving back and forth, almost hit me once.  Why would anyone ride right off someones corner?  I sped way up and got in the right lane as I take the next exit to come home.  He was swerving back and forth, then finally pulled all the way over left and went flying by me, he must have been doing 80, could still see him weaving.  I suspect that at that time of night two out of ten drivers are drunk, especially at that ramp.

ok, rant off

sort of off topic but what bothers me most is the drunk drivers I see on 640, usually at least once a week.  Well I assume they are impaired.  Swerving back and forth hitting the lines on either side of their vehicle. And it is almost always at the Broadway on ramp on my way home from work around 10:30 at night.  There is some large country music bar close to that ramp. I have seen two this week so far.  If they are not lit up they are the worlds worst drivers.   Just last night there was a newish Camaro entering the expressway there.  I am in the middle lane doing 62 mph on cruise control.  He gets right off my right rear bumper in the right lane.  Weaving back and forth, almost hit me once.  Why would anyone ride right off someones corner?  I sped way up and got in the right lane as I take the next exit to come home.  He was swerving back and forth, then finally pulled all the way over left and went flying by me, he must have been doing 80, could still see him weaving.  I suspect that at that time of night two out of ten drivers are drunk, especially at that ramp.

ok, rant off

Drunk of on their cell phone and maybe even texting...........I see that all the time................. :squint:

Set a speed minimum for the left lane barring weather conditions or accidents, I'm fine with that.  Ticketing someone because they are doing the speed limit, not so much.

I drive the speed limit, or at best 5-7mph over.  If that's not fast enough for someone, I don't care. Taking I-24 from Murfreesboro to Nashville and back, I'm usually in the far left, or 2nd from the left lane depending on the flow of traffic, and big rigs on the road.   I'd rather slow the flow of traffic down to the speed limit than have to deal with all the idiots who don't get to the right when they should, and need to cut across to make their exit.

I think people should pay more attention to NOT FOLLOWING SO CLOSELY . A lot of crashes occur from this way more than than the "fast lane" issues :rant:. If people are in a hurry then they should have left sooner.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2

I think people should pay more attention to NOT FOLLOWING SO CLOSELY . A lot of crashes occur from this way more than than the "fast lane" issues :rant:

To a point, if you follow at the recommended distance some asshat will cut you off barely leaving enough room to stop if the guy in front happens to brake.

• Like 1